Bike cut out today and won't start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrucieB

Reaction score
Had my 2013 HP4 track bike out for a spin today on daylight mot.
All of a sudden it started struggling with no power, backfired a few times then cut out when I pulled the clutch in.
Then wouldn't restart, the starters turning over when I try to start it but nothing. I know the switchgear is an issue on these but because it's trying to start I'm not sure it's that.
My mate came and recovered me, we totally disconnected the pc5, fuel module and QS but same issue not starting.
There isn't a fault code showing, well not I can see as the ddc code has been showing since bmw did an update on it (ddc disconnected)
It's tucked up in my van now ready to take down mechanics tomorrow.
Just wondering if anyone's aware of any similar problems as I'm hoping it's something simple.

Thanks Bruce

Sent from ma phone Galaxy S7

If the engine is turning over then it's not the switchgear. I'm guessing there's plenty of fuel in it? Do you know if it's sparking or injecting?

It has half a tank and the pump is priming. It's down the mechanics now and they're looking into it tomorrow.
It may need diagnostics, is it correct the likes of the gs911 don't work on the HP4? I had no luck trying before and had to go to BMW.

I don't know about the gs911, I use Texa and that works with everything. I do know bmw do everything they can to stop other people from plugging in so maybe a newer or more up to date gs911 might work?

I have a USB GS911 and it works fine on my HP4. The new wifi gs911 version does not work on pre 15 bikes which includes the HP4.

Last edited:
Cheers guy's
Lets hope they find the issue and diagnostics not needed

@soofsayer. I think you're wrong about GS911 wifi not working on pre-2015 bikes. I believe it will work on pre-2015 as well, but the older GS911 USB won't work on 2015 or later.
I've just bought a GS911 wifi to use on my 2013. If it doesn't work when it arrives I'll let you know (& send it back!)

Bad earth connection somewhere. Probably caused by weathering on a plug or a bolt shaken loose.

Just had the bike down to a diagnostic guy. He plugged in a gs911 wi-fi which worked ok.
He cleared all the faults and only issue is the fuel pump is inactive even when trying to turn it over.
I'm at a loss myself as to why the pumps not getting a signal and getting held off.
So now back to the mechanics tomorrow for them to look into it further :(

Could he activate the fuel pump with the diagnostic?

Either the ecu isn't sending the feed or the fuel pump is at fault.

Did you get a recurring error for the fuel pump or does the computer think it's ok despite not running the pump?

No he couldn't activate the pump, no re-occuring fault came up. He said the diagnostic is still showing pump inactive when trying to start the bike and mentioned it could be the pump but they rarely fail apparently.
He's going to liaise with the mechanics tomorrow.
Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks

You tried another pump plugged in to see if it's the pump or an electronics issue??

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk

Don't have another pump.
I took the pump out at powered it up direct and it ran. Re-fitted it and tried on a near empty tank and I could hear it whirring when button pushed, not sure with these type of pumps if it's actually pumping though.
Wondering if it could be the pump controller not sending a correct signal back.

Yeah. The pump should prime and run from switch position 1 to keep a positive flow. Anyone local you can borrow one from? If that's not working, you know it's going to be a more expensive fault finding mission.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Don't have another pump.
I took the pump out at powered it up direct and it ran. Re-fitted it and tried on a near empty tank and I could hear it whirring when button pushed, not sure with these type of pumps if it's actually pumping though.
Wondering if it could be the pump controller not sending a correct signal back.

If you've had the pump off have you checked the feed at the plug for 12v?

Have you google common problems with the pump and it's loom system

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I would only hear it run when the start button pressed.
Hopefully my mechanic mates may have or can borrow a pump.

I did test the feed and it was getting 9-10v but that was just before the battery died.
I've got the battery off now charging.
Hopefully it is a dodgy pump rather than electronic

I would only hear it run when the start button pressed.
Hopefully my mechanic mates may have or can borrow a pump.

I did test the feed and it was getting 9-10v but that was just before the battery died.
I've got the battery off now charging.
Hopefully it is a dodgy pump rather than electronic

Was that voltage constant with ignition or while cranking? You should only have a feed while the bike is cranking/running or priming...

If the pump is getting a feed and works when bench tested then what about the earth?

Last edited:
I don't usually do much work on my bikes but yes it was getting a feed when the start button was pressed not sure if it was priming before though

Managed to get to a mates and plugged his tank in to find the same issue with it not starting. My mechanic mates have spoke to the diagnostics guy and say as they've already checked all connections etc there's not much more they can do.
They say because the ecu is showing the pump as inactive it could be a faulty ecu or faulty wiring loom.
I really don't know what to do now :( :(

Last edited:
Back