My 2015 S1KRRs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horses for courses on the helibars, I find it far easier for hanging off with the helibars, but I am a short arse so could very well be that

I'm glad you like them, they certainly seem to be quite popular.

I think with ergos there's always a compromise, comfort vs sportiness, although it's a very personal thing.

Height definitely plays a part in it though as I found the helibars make the riding position more cramped (too much pull back)

FWIW, my discs (on forged) with OE pads didn't warp at Jerez :)

I'm glad you didn't have any issues with them Alex :)
I think it might have just been a bad batch as seemed to only affect 15 model bikes.

How did your final day at Jerez go? Hope you had a great time - the get off (I reckon you thought you'd go quicker on foot!)

Last day was ok thanks. Rebuilding job whilst still on the old tyres. Times were way down, but at least by the end I was just taking pleasure in hitting my marks.

Last day was ok thanks. Rebuilding job whilst still on the old tyres. Times were way down, but at least by the end I was just taking pleasure in hitting my marks.

I'm glad it was alright, lap times aren't important if you were having fun and keeping it rubber side down.

Was gutted for you when I saw you'd dropped it the other day, I hope the repairs aren't "too" costly and that all gets sorted soon.
The bike looked absolutely fantastic with that paint job!

Just thought I'd post a little update, seeing as my bike had the 36 K mile service a while ago now.

Since then, I've had a replacement set of BMW heated grips (as they had extensively warn) and I've had two electrical issues.

The first was the battery terminals had simply furred up excessively preventing the battery from charging whilst riding.
This manifested itself without warning (never had issues starting etc), until I went to turn the ignition on and there were a list of anomalies:
- Fuel pumps didn't prime
- Dash backlights would flicker (as if going from light to dark environments)
- DDC warning light
- No attempt to turn over the engine when pressing the starter button
- When twisting the throttle a sucking/ticking noise.
- Front and rear lights out, including brake lights.
This issue was revolved simply by cleaning the battery terminals and recharging the battery.

The second problem I noticed when cleaning the bike, after washing the bike with water I heard a crackling sound coming from the rear shock, looking a little closer I noticed one of the wires was smoking and then began to glow/burn (I put it out straight away with my fingers). It's worth pointing out that this occurred with the ignition off ...
The bike was collected by BMW roadside assistance and sent to Cannon's, where they found the wire in question had rubbed on the frame causing it to short. Cannon's simply cut out the damaged section of wiring and replaced the section, all covered under the BMW extended warranty.

As always the BMW service has been top notch and my bike has a clean bill of health once again :).

Thankfully the riding Gods timed the two issues perfectly so that I could still attend the latest Essex/Suffolk rideout (organised by Phil), which was another absolutely brilliant day!

Oli

I?m a bit late to the party but ... thread revival r us....nice write up Oli. I never realised u did so many miles buddy. And great to see after 36k she still purring as u want.
What mileage she on now ?

Haha, cheers buddy, have got to say I really enjoyed having a re-read through this thread as it was back when I first joined the forum! [emoji4]
Seems I am reminded every day how glad I am I finally got round to joining [emoji4]

Currently at ~ 41 K, I did a lot of mileage early on through commuting and weekend riding. However, since writing up the Thesis I haven?t been commuting so the mileage has ?normalised? drastically lol.

Little update I guess, she?s still running as sweet as a nut, you could say these bikes ?mature? with age lol [emoji6]

In all seriousness though, I honestly can?t fault how the bike is running, the gearbox feels pretty slick, the refinement is pretty good with only minimal vibrations through the rearsets (I attribute the refinement partly to the full system and partly to the Positive Vibes bar ends).

The only technical ?issue? I had since the last post was a flat battery, though that was not the bikes fault in anyway as the terminals had furred up so the battery wasn?t charging properly through use.
I partly blame myself for that as I should have been keeping an eye on it, but personally I feel this is something that my BMW dealership should have been doing when servicing the bike ...
One last thing to mention re batteries, like Phil, I?ve not changed mine, it?s still in good condition despite being run flat once and never been on any trickle charger (except to re-charge it once).

Oh, one final thing to note, I?ve had a couple fairing panels replaced under warranty due to heat discolouration. Essentially the white on the side panels goes a mild yellow colour over time. It is mild discolouration and only noticeable when studying the bike, but it has happened twice and on both cases approved under warranty no questions asked.

I do have the extended warranty, which I will continue until I sell the bike, though as yet haven?t required it, though I do believe it?s worthwhile insurance should anything major go wrong.

What with discussions of new bikes lately and all the launch fever going on lol, every time I go for a ride on my bike, I am reminded just how awesome these things are.
Has got me thinking lately that whilst there will always be a newer, more advanced bike, it?s worthwhile remembering and appreciating what we currently have, as I still adamantly believe it?s the ?experiences? we have and not the bike which is the most significant aspect of motorcycling!

Great read that Oli, good to read about how reliable it has been over the miles that you’ve done on it!

Update March 2018

My bike has been out of action for a little while now as developed what I thought was a clutch fault. I suspected the clutch plates had warn/warped as the clutch became extremely grabby which made pulling away smoothly impossible. Furthermore, a prominent ?whirring? sound was present whenever pulling the clutch lever in, which was even more prominent at higher engine speeds.

Upon investigation by Simon at Race Engineering in Dunmow, Essex, he suspected the issue was more significant than the clutch plates and believed the issue was due to a knackered gearbox layshift bearing. As this was a full, engine out job, this would be a considerably more expensive repair job then initially anticipated. My bike was then taken to Cannon BMW Motorrad in Braintree, Essex, for diagnosis and ?hopefully? warranty repair work.

After having my bike for a week, I got the extremely good news that the gearbox layshift bearing was indeed the problem and that it is fully covered under the BMW extended warranty.

Have just got back from Cannon?s and I must say it was really enjoyable to see my bike with the engine out and dissembled. After nearly 42 K miles I always thought it would look a bit different inside then the gleaming images you see online, however, this was not the case at all. Instead, I am pleased to report all looks immaculate ?to my eyes?, the gearbox cogs were pristine with no chips, scuffs or any sign or wear at all. I was really surprised at how good it looked internally after some fairly high mileage and nothing more than the BMW service schedule adhered too.

It was also interesting to see what was wrong with the lay shift bearing, as visually it looked good, however, when shaking the part there was a prominent rattle and when spinning the inner ring (no idea what the correct terminology is) you could feel a grinding sensation.

My bike should be ready for collection by the end of next week and I can?t wait to have her back!

First and foremost I have to again praise the BMW warranty and service, it is first class. I also thank Cannon?s BMW for their professional and efficient service. Lastly I have to thank Simon at Race Engineering for not only being the first to diagnose the issue with my bike (by ear at that!), but also for being so honest in suggesting I take the bike to BMW for warranty work. If anyone is in the Essex area, I can?t reccomend Simon enough, he is a superb and truly honest chap.

30e3c2acfa2d2847400c334d59b77c5e.jpg

Photo 1. Matt loosing the plot by the looks of it lol. Gearbox layshift bearing is at the bottom right bellow the hand.

2b38dc7672bd5b7f47756424fe629481.jpg

Photo 2. All looks good to me!

35cd066b34ef473301b0a9baa84bfeb9.jpg

Photo 3. All looks reasonable like this ...

dc504154d8046770d205adba1e896150.jpg

Photo 4. But not like this lol ... wonder if it?s lighter than an HP4 Race now [emoji6]

Last edited:
Thanks Alex, it?s definitely a big relief to know it?s being covered under warranty.
I?m also really glad the problem occurred now and not just before or during the NC500!

Shows the value of your extended warranty Oli, looks more than ?350 to do all that work.

Glad it will all be done for next months trip.

JimmyMac

Great result with the extended warranty Oli, will be good to catch up out on the road soon.

Shows the value of your extended warranty Oli, looks more than ?350 to do all that work.

Glad it will all be done for next months trip.

JimmyMac

Cheers guys!

Will post the repair bill when I collect my bike next week (hopefully), though I?m sure it?ll be heavy handed Jimmy. It?s times like this that reaffirm me sticking with the extended warranty that?s for sure!

Well I have to say I?ve had a brilliant afternoon as collected my bike from Cannon?s this morning.
Following the repair work my bike is running as sweet as a nut! The shifts up and down the box are so slick and crisp, the clutch (even with the original friction plates installed) is feeling great.
I can?t tell you how good it feels to be back onboard the RR after a ~ 3 week break, especially in fantastic sunshine. As I?ve said many times before, it seems these bikes never fail to excite and impress in equal measure! Feel like I?ve just taken delivery all over again lol [emoji16]

115f99040c8d58e2d270794b4aa18c83.jpg
827e923fb70a7fbd3effe441bd7d1ef2.jpg

Last edited:
Bike looks mint for 42k miles Oli, pleased you got it back in time to take it out in the sunshine

Thanks @MacRR !
Yea am very pleased indeed to enjoy the weekend sunshine [emoji41]
Hope you and Mrs Mac are having a great weekend too?

Went for a great ride with @phil this morning, though unfortunately my day was cut short when out of the blue the engine cut-out, and she would not start up again ...

Turns over well, but never fires up, very strange. Also get the weird clicking sound when twisting the throttle with the ignition on as previously when I had the battery connection issue.
Oh and no I hadn?t run out of petrol [emoji6]

Thanks for the company Phil whilst waiting for the family recovery service to arrive, and I hope you enjoyed the remainder of the afternoon flying solo lol.

Will take the bike to Cannon?s on Tuesday, fingers crossed it a quick fix!

5e509e9fbf5bd3713272d8f83d6762f4.jpg

Went for a great ride with @phil this morning, though unfortunately my day was cut short when out of the blue the engine cut-out, and she would not start up again ...

Turns over well, but never fires up, very strange. Also get the weird clicking sound when twisting the throttle with the ignition on as previously when I had the battery connection issue.
Oh and no I hadn’t run out of petrol [emoji6]

Thanks for the company Phil whilst waiting for the family recovery service to arrive, and I hope you enjoyed the remainder of the afternoon flying solo lol.
You are welcome Oli, it really didn't take much time out of my life to wait with you (lol), glad you got home ok. I hope you get your bike fixed for the Rideout on the 10th.

DaFuq was my invite?

Haha sorry about your bike Oli hope it's up and running by the 10th!

Back