My 2015 S1KRRs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a new dealership in Suffolk, they should be keen to make friends with customers ;)
http://www.reitenmotorrad.co.uk/

Lind in Norwich have always looked after me - my costs for an out of warranty electrical fault investigation were paid by BMW when Lind decided it was the Engine Loom and therefore a factory issue. Tim @ Lind is on here too so it's not like they didn't know what I was doing with it :)

Thanks Alex.

I actually ride past Reiten on my way to work sometimes. I would use them as they're probably my nearest, saying that not in it distance wise between them and Cannons in Braintree. Nice to have some good feedback from Oli re Cannons.

Update: July 2018.

Bike is at ~ 45K miles now and just had a servo motor replaced under the Extended Warranty. The symptoms were a loud crackling and humming sound when turning the ignition on.

Collected the bike this afternoon and all is well again.
Thanks to Cannon Motorrad for doing the warranty work so efficiently (only took a couple days).

Fingers crossed no more issues, but with that said the BMW warranty never ceases to impress!

- Oli

Aaaand another update for July 2018

Unfortunately after my ride-out with @Felix last Sunday, my bike has developed another fault.

Symptoms:
Intermittently makes a gargling sound, similar to when the PCV connection issue manifested itself. You could also say it sounds like retarded ignition timing.
When this happens, the throttle response becomes poor, but the bike accelerates fairly cleanly.
Another intermittent symptom, that has become more prevalent over the past couple of short rides (Monday and today), is the bike sounds as though it has dropped a couple cylinders, sounds like a massively over fuelled parallel twin, that deep thumpy soundtrack coupled with deep, wet pops and bags when decelerating. It actually best reminds me of the WSB ZX-10R?s that deactivate two cylinders in corners lol. When this happens, the throttle response is even worse and the bike protests when accelerating, it gargles and snatches as you go up the rev-range to an indeterminate point at which the other 2 cylinders wake up again and off you go.

An interesting observation is that when it starts playing up, turning off the ignition and restarting the bike (in motion) seems to clear the issue for a little while.
The bike never cuts out, and sounds like it?s running on all 4 when at idle.
I?ve generally noticed the cylinders first drop when cruising around 4 K RPM.

Despite the full system installed, both servo motors are still installed, the fuelling is the stock closed-loop setup with lambda sensor installed.
There are no error messages on the dash, no obvious electrical issues (such as dash issues etc.).

Differential diagnosis:
Fuel or spark?
Perhaps an issue with the primary fuel injectors as generally it clears at high RPM, though I?m not entirely convinced.
Or perhaps a coil issue?
What do you guys reckon it could be, and have you experienced anything similar in the past?

The bike is currently at Cannon Motorrad as of this morning, will update the thread when I find out more

- Oli

Good luck pal. H

Thanks Hugh, look forward to updating the thread with good news again soon.

I tell you it?s remarkable how lucky I was to get through the NC700 without any issues whatsoever!
Thankfully Cannon, my local Motorrad dealer, are only 10 min from home

- Oli

Thanks Hugh, look forward to updating the thread with good news again soon.

I tell you it’s remarkable how lucky I was to get through the NC700 without any issues whatsoever!
Thankfully Cannon, my local Motorrad dealer, are only 10 min from home

- Oli

Ah but did you ride through a ford on the NC700 Oli? :friendly_wink: Hope you get it sorted soon although given the regularity it seems to be going into the dealer it might soon be time to think about moving it on?

Ah but did you ride through a ford on the NC700 Oli? :friendly_wink: Hope you get it sorted soon although given the regularity it seems to be going into the dealer it might soon be time to think about moving it on?

Hey Mac. We couldn't keep Oli out of the water on the NC700. He'd pump up his Rosso 3's to 300 psi and off he'd go on a lap of the harbour...

Seriously Oli. If you get bad news, consider Mac's advice. I've been there a few times over the years with cars and bikes that don't want to work properly.
Experience has told me to chop it in. If you got no money (like me, join the club), I used a perfectly legit trick for getting a 42 month zero interest ?10K loan. Beats PCP...

Haha, this is true, however Sunday?s ?ford? was really just a large shallow puddle, nothing like UK winter riding lol.

I understand the sentiment, but it?s got to last till 2019 [emoji6]

Hey Mac. We couldn't keep Oli out of the water on the NC700. He'd pump up his Rosso 3's to 300 psi and off he'd go on a lap of the harbour...

Seriously Oli. If you get bad news, consider Mac's advice. I've been there a few times over the years with cars and bikes that don't want to work properly.
Experience has told me to chop it in. If you got no money (like me, join the club), I used a perfectly legit trick for getting a 42 month zero interest ?10K loan. Beats PCP...

Lol RoadTech 01?s you mean! [emoji12]

Cheers Hugh, I understand, but don?t forget I?ve got the Extended Warranty so apart from the excess it?s got to be covered.
It?s just got to get to 2019, then the plan is to Px for a Gen 4

- Oli

Rectifier or coils imo.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Is the PCV back on? Are you drawing power to any other non-oem system?

- Alex

Rectifier or coils imo.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Is the PCV back on? Are you drawing power to any other non-oem system?

- Alex

Thanks Alex, I?m intrigued to find out what the issue ends up being.

No, it is running the stock closed-loop setup with lambda sensor installed.

The only thing that was drawing power on the Sunday was my iPhone charger that is plugged into the accessory socket. However this has not caused any issues in the past

- Oli

Good news, collected my bike yesterday morning following another quick 2 day turn-around by Cannon Motorrad! Furthermore, they didn?t charge me an excess for the work as billed it to the previous warranty claim.

The cause of the fault came somewhat as a surprise, a faulty lambda sensor.

I didn?t collect my bike with wallet totally intact though, as my battery failed whilst they were investigating the fault.
This was the original, larger capacity battery I had when the bike was new. Considering the battery has never been put on a battery tender by myself and has been run totally flat once when the battery contacts furred up, I think it?s lasted rather well indeed, certainly as long as one could hope for under the circumstances. I suspect it failed once and for all at Cannon?s as a result of my not being able to ride the bike as much lately due to the warranty work.

Anyway, am very glad to have the beast back again and hope to have no further warranty work needed, though as mentioned in my previous update I am again happy with the service received by Cannon.

Thanks again everyone for helping to troubleshoot the problem!

Ride safe and have fun,

- Oli

Good news, collected my bike yesterday morning following another quick 2 day turn-around by Cannon Motorrad! Furthermore, they didn?t charge me an excess for the work as billed it to the previous warranty claim.

The cause of the fault came somewhat as a surprise, a faulty lambda sensor.

I didn?t collect my bike with wallet totally intact though, as my battery failed whilst they were investigating the fault.
This was the original, larger capacity battery I had when the bike was new. Considering the battery has never been put on a battery tender by myself and has been run totally flat once when the battery contacts furred up, I think it?s lasted rather well indeed, certainly as long as one could hope for under the circumstances. I suspect it failed once and for all at Cannon?s as a result of my not being able to ride the bike as much lately due to the warranty work.

Anyway, am very glad to have the beast back again and hope to have no further warranty work needed, though as mentioned in my previous update I am again happy with the service received by Cannon.

Thanks again everyone for helping to troubleshoot the problem!

Ride safe and have fun,

- Oli

Blimey cannons seem to be working wonders with your bike. I picked up a gen3 yesterday and i dont live far away from braintree. Do you think i could get an extended warrenty for my bike? Although mine has just 2000 miles on it its a 2015 model so 3 years old now.
The worry of scary high bills has been the main reason ive avoided buying a bmw before now.
Mike

Blimey cannons seem to be working wonders with your bike. I picked up a gen3 yesterday and i dont live far away from braintree. Do you think i could get an extended warrenty for my bike? Although mine has just 2000 miles on it its a 2015 model so 3 years old now.
The worry of scary high bills has been the main reason ive avoided buying a bmw before now.
Mike
Yes you can buy extended warranty. Expect ~?350 in costs (?1per per day).

Dealers also offer 3 year servicing bundles which cover all costs. This is especially useful ar 18k miles with the valve clearance service.

- Alex

Back