The true cost of owning an S1KRR in the family

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westy

Reaction score
So as of Friday the words became reality.

My dad had a fabulous '15 R1200R, perfectly sized (low seat height), nice torque curves, sounded gorgeous and even had an auto blipper.

It seems having ridden my s1k occasionally it was missing some of the ferocity of his down the line bikes such as his K1200GT...

Happily now he's just taken receipt of a S1000XR, even transferring over his sat nav with all the options and scrolling modes :distant:
It has taken less then 9 days from Germany being manufactured to delivered to Alan Jefferies inc being manufactured as a slow seat option on it!

Very impressed on the turn around BMW bravo... And apologies if my dad ever reads this for costing him ?? by trying the best!

thumb_IMG_5570_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0461_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0460_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0459_1024.jpg

Just a shame I'm 240 miles away otherwise Id ride it, even whilst its being run in!

Does anyone know if my 15/16 Rizoma engine case sliders will fit the engine block on the 17 XR?

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0462_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0462_1024.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 108
Looks good :) my dad has an XR in the same colour, cracking bike.

I'd assume the covers will fit but I've never tried it so idk...

Must give one of these a go some day and see what they are like. The R too.

Last edited:
Stephen have you ever ridden either of the other S1k's & is your pops enjoying the XR?

I'll try the covers on asap I return to the North 👍

Last edited:
Must give one of these a go some day and see what they are like. The R too.

I've only tried the RR demo. Alex think that's you & me both for trying R / XR's
Especially when all I can do now is commuting (but hey we have a fun bike for that!)

Stephen have you ever ridden either of the other S1k's & is your pops enjoying the XR?

I'll try the covers on asap I return to the North [emoji106]

Yea the XR is buckets of fun, comfy as hell, it's like it has best of owning a gs but with an RR engine in it. Obviously it's not as fast as the RR but on public roads there's not much in it... on the tight twisty country lanes in Yorkshire I recon its a better ride than the RR

According to my dad it's the best bike he's had, he's already on his second one haha

Does anyone know if my 15/16 Rizoma engine case sliders will fit the engine block on the 17 XR?

I would expect so. :)

I am just not into the XR but totally get the appeal, and get that they are very capable bikes. Seen a few more about recently and they are never going slow lol. Is your dad Yorkshire based?

Personally I just didn't get on with the XR. Pretending to be a sports bike when its not, giving you wider bars and then going all wobbly when you turned it quickly. Just a personal this as it is a bloody good bike, just not for me.

I would expect so. :)

I am just not into the XR but totally get the appeal, and get that they are very capable bikes. Seen a few more about recently and they are never going slow lol. Is your dad Yorkshire based?
17 XR clutch cover maybe different like the 17 RR is

Thanks gents. Will have him fit one of the two ha... once I remember which box they're in. Running in service tomorrow which is over a week to do 600 miles on a new bike.. The shame ;)

@Soofsayer he's based near Bury / Rochdale. Williams is probably closer but AJ sorted out the demo onwards so its been a good relationship.

@Stephen I've only ridden an ER6N and never at 75mph! Might have to request a demo S1000R as a courtesy bike for the day when mines due its 6k (5554 miles now)

My pops admits he'd have an RR if he was capable and able to use one, at least this is a compromise.

A little bump up for RRG - Racing Radiator Guards. ?43 for both oil cooler and radiator guard with a custom paint job if anyone is without.
thumb_IMG_0593_1024.jpg

Last edited:
I had an R before the RR and thought it a brilliant bike. More grunty than a the RR at low to medium revs. Not too bad at all re wind blast for me (being short) with the larger screen up to well north of 100. It was a bit of a handful after that, particularly on less than brilliant road surfaces though.

Back