2013 LH switchgear ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
I thought this was only an issue on gen 1 bikes but just recently I've had issues that seem to point to my LH switchgear. Firstly, when starting from cold the ABS light doesn't go out unless I ride for around 15 minutes then stop and restart the engine. Also the main beam and hazard warning lights have come on randomly 2 or 3 times. I bought the bike new in September 2013 and I've never ridden it in the wet or got water on the switchgear. The bike has full BMW history so what's the chances of them fixing it. I reckon the ABS situation is a potential safety issue.

the switch gears garbage on all years I think mate, just got my bike out of hibernation and the indicators won't cancel ffs..... BMW were doing foc replacement but I think that's stopped now.

Yes, the foc replacement stopped a year ago I seem to recall. However, I would be inclined to speak to your dealer about the issues (Davey and pauly) as BMW U.K. often will do things out of warranty if your approach is polite and considered. You might not get everything paid for but you may get a contribution and or asked to pay the labour.

The switchgear problems affected gen 1 and 2 bikes, as well as other bikes in the BMW range.

Looks like I'll be speaking to Wollaston Motors in Northampton soon then.

My left hand unit completely failed on me there a few months back.

300 euro for the part from Germany plus the labour.

Absolute joke,but it had to be fixed.

Stephen from Graham's Motorcycles can often repair failed switchgear if you don't get any satisfaction with BMW and want to avoid buying new.

ABS light coming on is definitely a potential safety issue...highly likely that the ABS is actually deactivating. I had switchgear issues on my 2015 Gen3 (LH switchgear changed twice) but then again there wasn't much that did actually work on it!:apthy: #fridaybike

The ABS light doesn't turn off when I move off after starting when the bike is cold. As I said if I do a few miles and then restart the engine the ABS operates correctly. That and the hazard lights and main beam coming on randomly makes me think it's the switchgear.

Usually the fault with the switch gears are broken circuits due to corrosion, what your describing sounds like a short. Lots of the wires in the switch gear use the same common signal wire to save on wires. The first thing I would check is that the wires to the switch gear are ok and not worn in any way.

Failing that I can inspect the switch gear for you and see if their is a fault.

When the hazards or main beam come on are you able to switch them off immediately?

Hello Stephen,

Yes I can turn the hazards and main beam off straight away. I'd never used either before and it took me a minute find out where they were to start with. I wondered if I'd inadvertently knocked them on the first time but it's happened 2 or 3 times now. Is there anything I have to be careful of when opening the switchgear ?

Hello Stephen,

Yes I can turn the hazards and main beam off straight away. I'd never used either before and it took me a minute find out where they were to start with. I wondered if I'd inadvertently knocked them on the first time but it's happened 2 or 3 times now. Is there anything I have to be careful of when opening the switchgear ?

You should remove the bar end weight, remove the little plastic piece that clips over the wires then you can unplug the heated grips and the switchgear. Then if you push the rubber of the grip away from the switch you should see a torx screw, remove this and the whole unit (grip and switch) will (gently) slide off the bar.

I would then check the wiring loom for any damage.

If you remove the two screws from the back of the switch the back case should come off but be gentle as there are plastic tabs at the end to hold it on.

You can then press the little plastic tab to remove the grip.

There is then one more screw and the front of the switch will come off. If your confident to strip it down that far post some pics up and I'll have a see if there's anything unusual.

As I said before it's usually broken circuits in the switchgears whereas what you're describing is a possible short circuit...

Are either faults economically repairable ?

yea, I charge ?35 if i can fix it(incl return postage). If you post it to me i'll have a look, if i cant fix it id just ask that you pay the return postage... so far ive fixed every one, but ive not had one with your fault before, i'm not certain its the switchgear at fault.

Had a quick look at the LH switchgear today and noticed it's quite loose on the bar, also the heated grip button is on the RH side on my bike. If I don't get any joy from BMW I'll get you to have a look at the switchgear for me.

Just to update, BMW have agreed to cover the cost of the switch gear so it's turned out OK. Fair play to them on a 3.5 year old bike, perhaps the dealer service history helped.

Back