Tyre fitting

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to fit tyres and balance wheels as a DIY job. Obviously I know how to remove wheels, but not sure how tricky to remove tyres with levers etc.
Thanks folks!

How easy/hard is it to fit tyres and balance wheels as a DIY job. Obviously I know how to remove wheels, but not sure how tricky to remove tyres with levers etc.
Thanks folks!
If you have the right gear its not a problem. I've been doing it (changing tyres :stung:) for years. Bead breaker cost me ?40 ish , Use good quality tyre levers , rim protectors , and tyre soap (not washing up liquid) and balancer was made up by Fab Shop where I work. Tyre weights purchased from local tyre stockist. Plus you obviously need access to a Air Compressor!
To be honest the most trouble I have is when replacing tyre's on my KTM EXC300 as it has tubes and you have to be careful you don't nip the tube:concern:

Tyre Fitting

Providing you have the right equipment it's not that difficult but it does require a little bit of physical effort.

Thanks folks!

Never changed the tyres on my HP, too scared to damage the forged rims. I have on my GS, not too hard but breaking the bead takes some strength.

Balancing is easy, just place the wheel and tyre on an old spindle spin it and see where it settles, the heaviest part of it will be at 6 o'clock. Put a little weight on the rim at 12 o'clock and rotate the wheel 90 degrees and let go, see where it settles, repeat process until it settles wherever you let go, that means all parts of rim-tyre are equally balanced.

Unless I was a track rider I wouldn't even bother for a few quid saving every few months.

JimmyMac

dont mean to show off but i use one of these. i picked it up off ebay for ?400. ive probably done 50+ tyre changes in the last 2 years since buying it. well worth the money imo.

Back