Engine temperature seems high

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Reaction score
Now before you say it's a weekly topic, I did do a search but couldn't find anything on it.
The question is: On a warmish day 20DegC, at the lights on tickover, the temp goes up to 110DegC, is that expected?

Jules

That is too high. Mine never gets above 102 and the fan kicks in at 100 and gets its down to 97 pretty quick. Check the fan is even coming on and at what temp. I had a 2010 with a seized fan.

Unionjack, Fino, Both very helpful, seems 100degC is the fan kick in so I will keep a very close eye on it, plus get it checked out at the weekend.

thanks guys

Jules

When I took the 2012 bike for a test ride the dealer told me the temperature can get quite high and not to worry if it hits 110..... Seems they run high on warm days.

If you were say to ride it enthusiastically on the road & then get stuck in traffic they can climb up to 120c but so long as the fan cuts in at 100c it soon brings it down to 97c. :D The frame tends to cook your spuds on hot days! ;) ;)

I used to think my R6 got hot....nothing in comparison to this beast. On any temperature day it gets hot very quick if your sitting in traffic, found anything below about 40mph the temperature will steadily rise. Took me a couple of burns on my legs to find out I can't ride it in shorts.

The marketeers missed a trick.

BMW S1000RR...the perfect bike for UK all year riding, includes central heating for those chilly summer and winter days!! ;D

For what it's worth - trip to goodwood today, traffic was slow getting in and shit most of the way back - temp got up to 103 at worst and legs def feeling it on the frame spars, but clearly could hear the fan cutting in when in slow traffic - so a temp of 110 is not right and you should get it checked out, probably a fan issue as Been said before, so should be an easy fix (fingers crossed)

Back