Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old but Gold

Old but Gold

Last December I had the crazy idea that what I really needed in my life was another bike so I could pop into town without the size of the GS or the thief attraction of the HP4. I have always wanted a cafe racer style ride and liked the idea of the r9t when they launched. However I wanted to try something out that wasn't going to cost the earth and wasn't perhaps just a catalogue bolt on parts job.

I took some advice on old BMW bikes from Stephen over at Grahams Motorcycles and ended up buying a 25 year old K75 off one of his guys, Bill, as a project for him to get MOTd and ready for spring. Ex police RT. This is what he showed me:

To be honest it was a mess.

We agreed on some work Bill would do on the bike and a date of March 1st was set for delivery.

Of course it came and went with no bike but last Friday it finally arrived.

I'd love to tell you how it handles, but I can't just yet. The starter motor stopped working when we tried to start the bike when Bill delivered it on Friday. Lol. Old school. Should be sorted later this week. I hope.

So it is a work in progress. If I like the girl it will go back to Bradford next winter for more money to be spent. If not it will go to eBay.

I think it'll fit right in.

Last edited by soofsayer; 3rd April 2017 at 06:03 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: Old but Gold

Great stuff, glad to see it finally at home . Nice colours, though Jimmy might try to steal the seat

What's the hole in the tank for? (each side) It's not clear in the pics.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2015 RR

Cool bike Soof! I think that will be a lot of fun taking it out for town runs.
    The guys have done a nice job restoring it too. The 3 Amigos look good in the man cave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loupe For This Useful Post:

Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Great stuff, glad to see it finally at home . Nice colours, though Jimmy might try to steal the seat

Many a truth said in jest Alex, haha. I think the holes were where the side fairings used to clip into when the bike was an old copper like myself.

Looking good Andy, loving the big chunky tyres.

JimmyMac

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:

Thanks Alex. I think the holes are as Jimmy said. White is what it was and is what is on the V5, a lazy decision. Bill suggested the seat colour from an old GS seat on a bike in the workshop and I think he got it spot on. The bit on the tank will need addressing during its hibernation over winter, the seat unit itself is beautifully hand made and the rear BMW roundel is embroidered. I will end up growing a long beard at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Cool bike Soof! I think that will be a lot of fun taking it out for town runs.
    The guys have done a nice job restoring it too. The 3 Amigos look good in the man cave
    Thanks Paul. Can't wait to ride it. Bill said the suspension was hard on account of the weight loss so I'm forewarned. Yikes. I'll see if I can live with it until hibernation.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    Many a truth said in jest Alex, haha. I think the holes were where the side fairings used to clip into when the bike was an old copper like myself.

Looking good Andy, loving the big chunky tyres.

JimmyMac
    Thanks jimmy. The tyres were a bit of a find, they had the look I was after but still great on road, and conveniently in the sizes I needed. I have heard that the really knobbly ones are terrible to ride and handle. Bad tyres with no abs or TC I thought I'd be pushing my luck .

But of course for now I only know how they handle when the bike is being pushed around my driveway.

Riding
    motorsport colours

Looking good that Andy, love the colour mate, it looks like it's pepper white (mini) colour? Will you be breaking into the 1 min 30's on the Tyco trackday with this new beast.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Budgie For This Useful Post:

They're for the tash wax dispenser to attach to.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gazzy For This Useful Post:

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Cool looking genuine one-off! Beats the modern retros 10x over

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingscotsman For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000rr 2010 grey

So thats 3 bikes i need to keep an eye out for now!! Should be easier to spot than the gs anyway. How did u swing 3 bikes with your missus?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow For This Useful Post:

Thankyou for the comments. I was thinking more of a beard than a tash but that would be easier lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    How did u swing 3 bikes with your missus?
    Lol. My garage, I pay the bills. It's how it is.

I got my first ride on it this evening. Bill and Stephen from Graham's Motorcycles came over earlier to fix the non start issue that took the wind out of bills sails last Friday. Bill had it fixed in minutes so we headed to the pub for a celebratory drink, with a very quick test ride on the way. It needs some more bonding time next week, but the first impressions are really good, better than expected for a 25 year old 3 cylinder bike. I do have breakdown cover .