Gen 4 Recalls

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carsonr6

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there’s a way to check if your gen 4 needs a recall? Heard a rumour that they’re being recalled for tappety engines. Mines definitely sounds like that and I mentioned it in another thread and was confirmed by others that said they’ve been told that’s the characteristics of the new engine.
would be nice to have a thread just for actual recalls and not rumours.

Only bmw will know if your specific bike is subject to a recall from the vin.

Will there not be generic recalls across the range?

There may be, but the dealer will not assume your bike is subject to a recall without first checking the vin, or having the bike in the workshop. Your question was if anyone knew a way to check if their bike was due a recall.

For example. On previous gen bikes there was an early problem with the switchgear. Bmw knew about it and the fix was to replace with a revised part, but they didnt ever issue a recall for it, they simply waited for customers to come in with the problem, check the vin (to determine if the faulty part code was present on the build data) and then initiate the swap.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
My M sport being delivered Wednesday spoke to dealer today was told might not get it because of a recall on oil cooler hoses he checked vin numbers mine not affected but he said he had a list the length of his arm not good

My M sport being delivered Wednesday spoke to dealer today was told might not get it because of a recall on oil cooler hoses he checked vin numbers mine not affected but he said he had a list the length of his arm not good
This is actually a serious one. At least two reported incidents in Germany. Oil hose wasn't crimped correctly and started pissing oil all over the rear tire. One bike was even outside the time frame declared in the official recall. Good on your dealer for checking this one.

Yes oil hose recall is being done.
Also heard about another on left fork which bmw acknowledges and might bring a solution for. Clunky fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes oil hose recall is being done.
Also heard about another on left fork which bmw acknowledges and might bring a solution for. Clunky fork.

Yup. Dealers can determine whether your oil hose is fine or not, but dealer also reckons BMW will replace all oil hoses (including cooler) over the new few weeks just to be safe. I had the clunky fork as well. Dealer ended up fitting a new one :)

And this is what it looks like (Images from German S1000RR Forum):
Werkstatt_03.jpgWerkstatt_02.jpgWerkstatt_01.jpgEreignistag_02.jpgEreignistag_01.jpg

Reminds me of my rear tyre last year after they fucked up putting the rocker cover gasket back on... at least the TC would kick in lol..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not exactly filling me with confidence for my first trackday in a couple of weeks. Bikes being collected on Thursday for Spain so even if there’s recalls to be done I won’t have time. Not heard anything from bmw regarding recalls either though

Not exactly filling me with confidence for my first trackday in a couple of weeks. Bikes being collected on Thursday for Spain so even if there’s recalls to be done I won’t have time. Not heard anything from bmw regarding recalls either though

I did two track days on their pre prod demos without knowing this....

I asked my dealer about the oil cooler recall and they said ‘yep yours is one of them, but its safe to carry on riding until its next in the workshop’, i.e. dont worry about it.

I asked my dealer about the oil cooler recall and they said ‘yep yours is one of them, but its safe to carry on riding until its next in the workshop’, i.e. dont worry about it.

That’s bs the recall in the EU bulletin states it as a dangerous situation that can happen. Serious risk I recall reading.

Dealer should solve it ASAP. Imo

Latest posts

Back