Seeking advice on de-CAT mods

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebladder

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently replaced the Catalizer on my 2012 S1000RR (only 8K miles on it) with a Danmoto mid-link pipe. I also have been running on a short slip-on (SC Project). Kept the O2 sensors connected and the stock (original) headers (exhaust manifold) with their butterfly valves. I have heard comments from people saying this setup may cause engine damage in the long-run due to potential lean mix at low RPM's. Currently, the bike runs just fine, except it has an irregular idle sound which disappears as soon as I twist the throttle. The weight savings, deep engine rumble and the freer-breathing acceleration make this mod worthwhile, in my opinion. Since I do not have access to a reputable bike dyno shop, was hoping to find similar experiences from forum members and hopefully discard those engine damage threats. On the other hand, I could install a Power Commander V and download the most fitting available map, and call it a day. Yet, it seems to me I need to confirm the engine damage threat before I proceed, as I like how the bike runs as t is. Any experienced-based pointers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Get yourself a pcv the bike may or may not damage Its self in the long run, depends on a lot of different variables in your riding.

But I can guarantee it's not ruining as good as it would be with a fuel controller.

Right. But let me ask you, if I were to install the PCV and fit it with the closest possible configuration map, will this really help even without a dyno tuning? Will this improve fueling in spite of not being optimized through a dyno f\a assessment session? The reason for my hesitation is I don't have access to a trusty dyno shop. Thanks for your feedback.

Always have mine checked if only for piece of mind.
Also depends how you ride. You will always get someone saying "I've run mine for 12 months, no check and it's been fine". Mine wasn't when it was checked so pleased it was put right" No 2 engines run the same …. You pays you're money you makes you're choice.

Always have mine checked if only for piece of mind.
Also depends how you ride. You will always get someone saying "I've run mine for 12 months, no check and it's been fine". Mine wasn't when it was checked so pleased it was put right" No 2 engines run the same …. You pays you're money you makes you're choice.

Good enough. I still want to know what the chances are the closest available PCV map improving (making the engine safer) without a dyno run, so I can go ahead and install it and wait until there is the opportunity to run it on a decent dyno. The thing that bothers me is that installing the PCV takes the O2 sensors away and the engine becomes a slave of the PCV map, no chance to adjust itself as it has been doing so far. This is why it requires a dyno assessment. That assessment, though, will only reflect prevailing atmospheric pressure, relative humidity and average temperature "during the run". In other words, it becomes a fixed approach without the flexibility to adapt to changing environment conditions! Thanks for your thoughts!

Back