Donington Decent Times?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
Did my final trackday of the year today at donny, was an awesome day!
Now I'm not chasing times as such as a trackday isn't about that for me but I really wanted to see how I've improved after doing 7 days this year.

My first ever day was April I think and a mate 'timed' me at about 2.16.00, today my fastest lap was 1.53.60 using the lap timer function so nothing like technical on either fronts! I'm really happy as I've got so much more confidence in myself and the bike.
Me and my mate actually got moved into the Advanced Group after the sighting laps to even things out numbers wise which terrified me a bit to begin with as it was my first day in the Inters; but seemed to get on fairly well and I wasn't the slowest in the group so always a bonus!

Overall it's been a great year for riding, roll on next year for a lot more track days and some proper tuition.

Thats a decent time around Donnington, I did that on a Ron Haslam course when I started riding as I'd had a fair bit of car experience and went into fast groups on trackdays afterwards. You'll be around the bottom of most fast groups but its definitely fast enough to get some tows and you'll improve much quicker having decent riders around you instead of the carnage in inters group.

Last edited:
Donington Park

A 1:53 isn't a bad lap time at all. Sub-1:50 times are normally what we see in the Fast Group at Donington Park and is typically used as a benchmark when we review the Chrono data to move individuals around groups when instructing at FE. Lap times below 1:45 are considered extremely quick and below 1:40 is approaching race pace.

Anything under 2mins is a good time, you're doing very well a great job at 1:53 with little practice.

whooo, im extremely quick....lol.

53's are a good time and like said above it gets you in the fast group where your pick up tows and knowledge from faster riders. :)

A 1:53 isn't a bad lap time at all. Sub-1:50 times are normally what we see in the Fast Group at Donington Park and is typically used as a benchmark when we review the Chrono data to move individuals around groups when instructing at FE. Lap times below 1:45 are considered extremely quick and below 1:40 is approaching race pace.

I completely forgot to PM you mate, were you there yesterday?
That's good to know time wise, I felt much more at ease with more space and allowed me to try coming into a few corners slightly differently hoping to improve.

Anything under 2mins is a good time, you're doing very well a great job at 1:53 with little practice.

Thanks mate.
Still a long way to go but overall I'm massively impressed with the improvements this year.

whooo, im extremely quick....lol.

53's are a good time and like said above it gets you in the fast group where your pick up tows and knowledge from faster riders. :)

Yeah I tried to keep up with a few people and managed a few decent laps following their lines, I was just a little worried about getting carried away as I've only got M7RR's and a lot of the lads had slicks so didn't want to get above my station with them! Wanted to push myself but still stay on the safe side of the line, had one big moment coming out of the esses and losing the back end and ending up on the tank so that calmed me down a bit!

Looks like it may not be the last day of the year though as it looks like we'll be doing Cadwell next Saturday, thank god for overdrafts!

I didn't mean I could out perform the tyres by any stretch just to be clear, I just think it would be the next notch of confidence for me. I felt through the corners I wasn't a huge amount slower that most people in the group, but 'lost' most of my time by braking too early and being a little slow on the power, along with improving my lines a bit.

I'm thinking of supercorsa's next, although may invest in some slicks for a trip out to Spain.

I raced on M7RR at Snetterton in the first round in March this year because of the cold temperatures and intermittent weather. I guess I was maybe two or three seconds off my normal race pace but they were definitely the right choice for me and they handle the work well. Guys of a similar level on slicks were faster in the dry but they were going down like dominos every time there was a rain shower whereas I had no problems at all on the M7RR. It might be just the cool conditions but they didn't start over heating or going mega squidgy like most road tyres do when pushed hard either, they just kept doing there thing without any issues and way more grip in the damp.
You can see there were no heroics going on and I was glad to get back to slicks at the next round but I'll definitely be using M7RR again at the first round next year and would have used them at Donny last week if I wasn't injured.

IMG_5717.JPG

Last edited:
When I first test rode a S1000RR I got a hire bike for the weekend and went from London home to Cornwall in horrific weather in February. It was absolutely tipping it down and blowing a gale and the M7RR worked really well. It was actually this capability that sold the bike to me as I was looking for something that could handle any conditions but wanted something I could track as well. This was me suiting up for the five hour trip home!

RainCornwall.jpgRainCornwall2.jpg

Last edited:
Would you not consider the Racetec RR K3 then? Or the new Corsa 2's? Or the Dunlop TT's. All of these are road tyres with track bias...

(For early races)

- Alex

Last edited:
The K3 is like a Supercorsa SP, they work well enough in the wet to get by and be used on road bikes but they are still aimed at hot, dry conditions and not very safe in the cold and wet if you are pushing them. I've not compared the new Rosso Corsa 2 but I found the old one too square and road biased for using on track. Dunlop KR slicks are by far my favourite tyres other than being a bit more sensitive to temperature than the Metz or Pirellis but we can't use them in NoLimits championship. I've not used their street tyres but I hear they are similar in that they dont go off much as they wear out.

Bear in mind I was being cautious and didn't mind loosing a few seconds. There were guys out on slicks but loads were crashing through the weekend.

Last edited:
Did my final trackday of the year today at donny, was an awesome day!
Now I'm not chasing times as such as a trackday isn't about that for me but I really wanted to see how I've improved after doing 7 days this year.

My first ever day was April I think and a mate 'timed' me at about 2.16.00, today my fastest lap was 1.53.60 using the lap timer function so nothing like technical on either fronts! I'm really happy as I've got so much more confidence in myself and the bike.
Me and my mate actually got moved into the Advanced Group after the sighting laps to even things out numbers wise which terrified me a bit to begin with as it was my first day in the Inters; but seemed to get on fairly well and I wasn't the slowest in the group so always a bonus!

Overall it's been a great year for riding, roll on next year for a lot more track days and some proper tuition.

I've managed to do 1:42.8 on stock s1000rr with shorter gearing. Really depends how fast you learn and push.

donny%201.42.jpg

Back