Accident / BMW Warranty / Insurance / Loan Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Just over a year since my last non-fault accident, I had another one last week.

Standing still at a T-junction wanting to turn right onto a major road, a car on the main from my left wanted to turn right into the minor road I was coming out of.

He cut the corner and ploughed into me. He was doing about 10 mph and I was thrown backwards. A little battered and shocked, I got up in some discomfort and managed to get the bike to safety with some assistance.

I could not ride and thus called BMW warranty. The collected and took it to a dealer for inspection and offered a courtesy car. This is of no use as I use the bike for commuting and I do not want to drive into the city due to time and parking restrictions.

My question is my insurance is still being processed for my accident last year as 4th dimension (who my loan bike was with were charging ?103/day for a crap CBF1000 which the 3rd party are contesting.

They did mention alst time if I could pay and buy one myself and then claim that back from the 3rd party...... Bahnstormer are saying that the repair work will not be able to be done until 1st week july.... :-(

I do not want to be stuck will a loan bike bill if contested by the 3rd party... cheaper to buy a hack bike and claim back....

Suggestions / advise please?

PS... I have notified my insurance company.

Sorry you've been knocked off again. Must feel like you have a target on your bike :(

Not able to advise, but just for clarity, you're being offered a car only by the 3rd party insurance, which is not suitable. You're being advised (by WHO?) to buy a bike and then sell it, charging the insurance co with the difference? If so that needs to be in writing with limitations around it etc. Otherwise you could buy a V4S and then be quite disappointed when the insurance co. baulk at paying (for example) 7k for the privilege.

Hi Amit, really sorry to hear this.
I certainly wouldn't buy a vehicle & expect to claim cost back.
It's not clear who has offered you the courtesy car. Is it the dealer quoting the repair or the other parties insurance?

If I were you I would request courtesy vehicle from other insurer. If they offer a car simply say that is not suitable and you need a similar vehicle ( i.e. a bike ).

Hi Amit, real bad luck and sorry to hear this. I would talk to your own Insurers, explain your predicament and see what they say.
My Car Insurer really helped me out when we had 2 different non fault claims within 6 months.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Best Regards

Phil

I?m sorry to hear of this Amit, but first and foremost am glad you are alright.

With regard to insurance/courtesy vehicle proceedings I echo what has been said above.

I hope everything is resolved ASAP

BMW Warranty have offered the car.
4th dimension mentioned due to the duration of the bike being in the workshop, I could consider buying a vehicle and asking the 3rd party insurer to contribute as there ?103x30/days is quite a lump of money.... I think a monkey was on the other end of the phone.

My insurance company sent me to 4th dimension.

Hi mate..sorry to hear this. I can't offer any advice but hope you get things resolved quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

When I had a non fault accident 10 years ago on my 600rr my insurance company sorted everything out for me,vfr 800 delivered next day and I had it for 5 weeks until my bike was repaired. I didn?t have to deal with the hire company myself and 3rd party couldn?t contest it as they admitted liability for the accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I?m sorry to hear about your accident & glad you walked away from it.

With your previous claim outstanding, I would play it safe & maybe even use public transport ( I know it?s soul destroying but I read once you used it before).

I appreciate its riding weather & commute daily too so feel you pain, but the first week of July will soon come round.

Personally I would go with the safest/cheapest option ( in case it backfires) and politely enter into discussions with your insurers//bahstormer/possibly BMW uk to see if they can assist in your current situation, even in part.

The old hack route is not always what it cracked up to be and can end up being a money pit with days off the road ( exactly what you are trying to avoid).

I hope you get sorted soon.

Amit. You're being messed around. Decide what's best for you (buying a bike, hire suitable replacement yourself, etc.), you might want legal advice on that. Then write a letter giving them 7 days notice of your intention to do X, and threaten them with your legal fees and reporting to their ombudsman if they do not do Y.
Even if you're not getting legal advice, make it sound like you are (letter templates on line). Copy in the chief exec etc. Be polite. Good luck. H

Sorry to hear about your accident Amit. Glad your ok that's the main thing, bikes/cars can be fixed people it's a little harder.

Anyway firstly has the 3rd party accepted full liability/do you have any independent witnesses? If the answer to this is yes then it's pretty straight forward, you can deal direct with his insurance company, get them to supply you with a courtesy bike (it's in there best interests as it keeps hire costs down) as yours is unrideable for the duration of the repairs.

If the 3rd party is contesting it and you don't have any witnesses then let your insurance company deal with it and authorise your repairs then they can fight it on your behalf.

Did you not tick the courtesy bike box when you took out your insurance policy, if not push barnstormer for one, I would be surprised if they couldn't supply you one seen as they are carrying out the repairs to your bike. If they do supply you one and the 3rd party admit liability then they would be able to charge the 3rd party insurance a daily rate which would be much cheaper than a non fault hire company would. Non fault hire company's are ok to use providing there is a full admission of liability from the 3rd party, with some you can pay a one of payment (usually about ?15) called angel cover and it exonerates you from any future costs if the 3rd party decides to change there mind.

It all depends on the 3rd party as to whether his insurance get you mobile straight away or whether you need to push barnstormer for a c/bike.

I can't understand why you contacted BMW warranty when it's not a warranty issue, it should be BMW emergency services.

Hope this helps you Amit

If you don't take a car/bike then will they offer a daily allowance? When my bike was knocked over several years go it ended up waiting in the dealer for five/six weeks so the third party's insurance (Direct Line) paid me ?10/day which I used for the train. I'd opt for public transport for a few weeks (assuming that's possible for you) over attempting to buy/insure/tax/dispose of a hack. Best of luck (glad to hear you're ok).

Back