Van Hire vs Owning a Trailer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePotteRR

Reaction score
Hi all,
this may seem like a daft rhetoric but I am debating getting a tow hook fitted along with a (must be fold flat for space) trailer. I've looked into cost and my car is around ?600 to fit a hook and about ?700 for a suitable trailer. I'm thinking of just renting a van for the day/two days dependant on needs with me just needing to by a chock, some straps and a ramp. I have found rental locally with out of hours collection and drop off for ?55

The idea is the following;

Save money on fuel for the bike and car to get to the track, as well as mileage.
Use Slicks and Wets at the track to maximise the day.
Ability to "push" the bike on track and worry less about getting home.

I'm swaying more toward simply hiring the van but this does bring hassle and a little less freedom. Any advice and experience is massively appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I went down the trailer route a couple of years ago, now sold. Downsides: needs storing somewhere, tow bar etc on vehicle, visiblility of the bike which is a security risk - thieves follow you home, biggest hassle is speed restriction! It has pushed me firmly to the van side of things which will be rental rather than purchase. For the number of times I will use a van/trailer for the bike it will be decades before the cost becomes an issue.

I brought a ?3K van 3 years ago, great for Trackdays, taking rubbish down the tip and stocking up at CostCo. Not missed a beat touch wood, all it costs is insurance which is cheap ?150, breakdown cover ?100, MOT and road tax. It's reached an age where I'd probably get most of my money back if I decided to part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gents. I think a Van is likely a clear winner. I've had some quotes and I can rent from Enterprise from 5pm the day before until 12pm the day after for ?60. Seems a fair price.

Van for the win; however....rent vs buy, comes down to frequency.

I'm going to be up to about 10days of renting before April is out and that's a fair few quid in total.

If I had to buy something it would be the fold flat, stick it in the boot Motolug trailer and a hitch, because I can't park another vehicle or store a non-collapsing trailer.

Van for the win; however....rent vs buy, comes down to frequency.

I'm going to be up to about 10days of renting before April is out and that's a fair few quid in total.

If I had to buy something it would be the fold flat, stick it in the boot Motolug trailer and a hitch, because I can't park another vehicle or store a non-collapsing trailer.

I'm looking at around 6 or so days a year so I think renting is likely the better shout. A shame it would have to be over 2 days due to pick up and drop off times but at least I won't have to rush about.

I'm in the same boat with regard to space. My as well have a vehicle than a non collapsible trailer and we don't have room for a push bike at the best of times:highly_amused:

Hi Mike,

I went down the trailer route a couple of years ago, now sold. Downsides: needs storing somewhere, tow bar etc on vehicle, visiblility of the bike which is a security risk - thieves follow you home, biggest hassle is speed restriction! It has pushed me firmly to the van side of things which will be rental rather than purchase. For the number of times I will use a van/trailer for the bike it will be decades before the cost becomes an issue.
You do realise that bar motorways where a van can do 70 as apposed to 60 for a trailer the speed restrictions are the same everywhere else

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/a...partnership/speed/know_your_speed_limits.aspx

I have access to a van which I use for trackdays but I also have a collapsible Motolug SE trailer. I generally prefer to use the van as it makes driving any distance to a circuit much easier. On the other hand, the good thing about using a trailer is it forces you to only take the essentials.

You do realise that bar motorways where a van can do 70 as apposed to 60 for a trailer the speed restrictions are the same everywhere else

Yes I did realise that :). I rather be in the van every time, sitting on a motorway doing 55-60 is not a nice experience playing with HGVs, and bloody boring.

Used a trailer once on an overnighter, sat up most of the night in hotel window watching it in the car park lol .
Bought a transit, worries over. Most drive like a car nowadays, 600 to a tank, more room in the front (and rear lol ) and no hotel bills !

Was stopped once on a dual carriageway doing 70 in a 70 by a bitch in uniform. Explained what it was for and private not commercial, rarely used she read me the riot act "if you drive a van you should know the law" etc etc much as she wasn't my type, by the time I'd grovelled and licked in a few intimate places she let me off ..... :redface-new:

For me, van has been the way to go...

I've always used a van never fancied the idea of my bike bouncing along behind on a flimsy trailer with wheel barrow size wheels

Hi all, thanks for the advice. All much appreciated. Unfortunately I am in the lucky position to have use of a company car that has to be off a pre determined list (nothing van shaped), or I would just get myself one. For the amount I will be using one, rental is the way to go I think. If you see a S1000 being timidly rolled out of an Enterprise rental van it is likely to be me.

Just make sure that you invest in a good ramp and some quality ratchet straps and you will be fine.

Just make sure that you invest in a good ramp and some quality ratchet straps and you will be fine.

And one of these
IMG_1672Webshot.jpg

Cheers gents. Ratchet straps and Chock are on order and due next week. Any recommendations on ramp? Demon Tweeks have a Warrior ramp with a case for ?58 which seems reasonable?

I got the DT double ramp pack so I can walk up with it, as I'm so unbalanced. The Constands chock is great.
Also for tie down many recommend the TYREDOWN.

I have the warrior one but if I had to buy one again I'd get a wider one, the warrior is only 230mm wide whilst it does the job it's a bit narrow.
Tweeks also have offers on with tyre warmers and stands and or chocks I notice

Back