Oil round oil sight glass

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddevil007

Reaction score
Just checked oil level and noticed that around edges of sight glass there is some fairly thick oily residue. Never anything on floor under bike so not dripping. Could it be a bit of fling from front sprocket. Just had to top oil up slightly as done 3600 miles and level was nearer the bottom part of the sight glass which to me seems very little oil usage. Anyone else had this oily build up?

Got loads around mine.........on the inside ::) Mines never used a drop, never had to top it up at all, unlike my blade i had and was told it was natural !

It is (should be) your Chain Lube, I use gear Oil to lube my chain and it is always covered in the stuff.

As always I think its best to check the Oil level before each ride.

reddevil007 link=topic=1007.msg9269#msg9269 date=1340224609 said:
Just checked oil level and noticed that around edges of sight glass there is some fairly thick oily residue. Never anything on floor under bike so not dripping. Could it be a bit of fling from front sprocket. Just had to top oil up slightly as done 3600 miles and level was nearer the bottom part of the sight glass which to me seems very little oil usage. Anyone else had this oily build up?

Not the first time I've heard of this. I would get it checked out.

Rang dealer today, he had not heard of it. When I explained the consistency of the muck (more like an oily grease) he felt it was probably a build up of chain fling from behind the front sprocket cover mixing with water etc from road. Fact bike has only used very small amount of oil also points to there not being a problem. Guess just panicking as off to Assen next week for GP. Perhaps I might have mentioned this 1 or 100 times before :D

mate definatly chain lube mine does it all the time no need to worry

Back