And they say track days are safer than the roads........

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unionjack link=topic=1003.msg9205#msg9205 date=1340129677 said:
Thats got to be the cretins group
thats the only draw back with track days, it only takes one.....and when theres a group of them!!

Usually ok if you avoid the test days before a race weekend
There was a guy got killed at Anglesey a few years ago and it was just a genuine accident
It's just the risk of the hobby
I feel safer blatting round a track than on the road

Blimey, that's opened my eyes to track days, think I'll stick to wet day cornering on manholes with wkrs pulling out in front of me! At least I know all cars drivers are out to kill me, you'd think bikers at a track day would be more sympathetic. but that lot :-\

Oulton Park last week (damp/wet) every session bar 2 was red flagged due to offs.

Never seen anything like it, some guys must have seen a different forecast and thought it was dry out there.

Interestingly it was someone in the intermediate group binning it every time. One really bad one :-\

The fast boys were going balls out and sliding out of every corner but still keeping it upright.

My group ..... ???

Lol that vid is hilarious....the clue was in the first 15 secs...numpties! Was actually surprised it took him that long to send it back up the inside at the end.

I had a track day booked at Oulton Park on June 6th, (my first one ever) but it was pissing it down. I called Club MSV to see if I could re-schedule as I didn't want to bin my £10K bike. They said "no, as it would be a great opportunity to hone my wet weather riding skills"... My Arse it would.

After reading Goldings description of Oulton Park on a wet day I'm glad I didn't do it. Will think twice before I throw £200 their away again..

PhilHays link=topic=1003.msg9247#msg9247 date=1340179897 said:
I had a track day booked at Oulton Park on June 6th, (my first one ever) but it was pissing it down. I called Club MSV to see if I could re-schedule as I didn't want to bin my £10K bike. They said "no, as it would be a great opportunity to hone my wet weather riding skills"... My Arse it would.

After reading Goldings description of Oulton Park on a wet day I'm glad I didn't do it. Will think twice before I throw £200 their away again..

Plus one to all that!

PhilHays link=topic=1003.msg9247#msg9247 date=1340179897 said:

its a pain in the ass when it rains phil but to be fair if they refunded the money or rescheduled everytime it rained they wouldnt stay in business in england very long. I'd say to everyone who is thinking of doing their first track day. DO IT you wont regret it and will want to do another, providing you ride within your own abilities, be respectful of riders behind you wanting to go faster but not intimidated by them. you will have loads of fun without trying to find your limit and risk your bike or neck. OF COURSE there is a risk, there is every time you cock your leg over, road or track

I agree to an extent. It's a short-term view to turn down a re-schedule request for a novice on his first track day, in the rain, without the luxury of wet weather tyres etc. After all, it's not their bike that will get trashed!

I would have hoped they would have put their Customer Service hat on. That way I would have been confident to do the track days, & use Club MSV on a regular basis.

I will probably book another but will leave until the last minute when I know the weather is going to be ok.

PhilH link=topic=1003.msg9253#msg9253 date=1340183158 said:
I agree to an extent. It's a short-term view to turn down a re-schedule request for a novice on his first track day, in the rain, without the luxury of wet weather tyres etc. After all, it's not their bike that will get trashed!

I would have hoped they would have put their Customer Service hat on. That way I would have been confident to do the track days, & use Club MSV on a regular basis.

I will probably book another but will leave until the last minute when I know the weather is going to be ok.

Very much this again, I would look into booking a 20-min taster session for £20 the day before once you know the forecast is going to be OK. There are a couple of dates up on their website now.

Annoying as it is I can fully understand not giving refunds for the weather, it is your choice after all that you don't want to ride in the rain. But having done a few track days I have to say it is absolutely worth risking booking in advance, riding on the road doesn't even begin to compare to riding on the track

I think we're missing the point here, track days are (for me) learning about my bike in a safer environment whether its dry or wet and hopefully not going past my own limitations. That little 'extra' we push each time under control (?) raises our limits just a bit at a time. Its nobs like in the video clip that end up in the meat wagon because they cant/dont respect other riders and take these antics onto the public highway. Anyone see that advert with (i think) Troy Bayliss on track and every corner was superimposed with either a tree, high curbs, gravel etc, etc to show the dangers on the road you cant get away with like you can on the track?
I ride for me, not to show others what i can do, that gets to be a vicious circle ending in.... ?
Rant over ;) ;)

+1 mate. That vid is not typical of track days, I've done quite a few and they are OK. I'm there for me, to learn my limits and when my sphincter puckers. My safety margin is HUGE and I always leave room for everything. That applies to the road too, no prizes for getting to work first...

Back