Isle of Mann TT - How much??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Reaction score
Hi ya,
I've always fancied the TT, anybody been who can give me advice on the following:

How much is the ferry, and assuming it's a lot, is there a cheaper way?
Do you need a ticket to get in, or can you just watch at the road side?
If you do need tickets, do you get them for 1 day or the whole thing?
How much is B&B (2 times the normal cost if you can get it??)

Most important, how much is a pint of Guinness?? Can you get discount for quantity ;D

Any good advice and tricks of the trade to making the whole think pleasurable, but affordable?

Jules

Hi Jules

Ferry is around £200 for return ticket - slightly cheaper if u are travelling for 5 days or less - popular dates get booked up at the previous TT so you need to get a booking ASAP and then keep watching the steam packet website to see if you can a cancelled booking. Also IMO it is well worth booking the lounge seating - for £17 you get guaranteed seat and all drinks (non alcoholic) and snacks are inc.

Once on the island u can watch from any of the huge number of locations around the course for free - no ticket required - some of the very popular places have grandstand type seating which u need to pay for - not sure how much as never felt the need to use them - the key to getting a good spot is pretty obvious - get there early.

The real difficulty is getting accommodation - hotels and b&b's are all booked up way in advance and if u can find anything pricing seems to range from x2 to x4 of normal rates. The easiest way, if u can bear it is to book up on one of the many camp sites. The first time I went I got lucky as a friend of mine had a couple of contacts on the island who managed to get some beds sorted for us to stay. Since then I have managed to blag my way into sharing with a guy who rents an apartment for the duration or one of his mates. Cost for approx a week is around £3-400 for a bed with food extra. Good news is that the beer/Guinness is cheaper than the boozers in my neck of the woods (probably about the same for u in Surrey).

Hope this helps - the key is to try and find somewhere to stay and then the rest will fall into place. I have heard that there are websites where u can express your interest in going and they try and get digs sorted, not done it myself but others may be able to point u in the right direction on this.

If u can sort something out, u will not regret it - it is def the best road race event in the world and to be able to ride the course (when roads are open) is just awesome, particularly over the mountain now that they have made it one way for all of the two weeks, without the need to worry about getting pulled for doing 180 ;D

PM me if u need any more details and I will try and help.

Cheers
Stuart

Cheers Stuart, the info you gave me is really helpful and I will start booking.
Jules

Dartanion link=topic=1001.msg9199#msg9199 date=1340125281 said:
Hi Jules

Ferry is around £200 for return ticket - slightly cheaper if u are travelling for 5 days or less - popular dates get booked up at the previous TT so you need to get a booking ASAP and then keep watching the steam packet website to see if you can a cancelled booking. Also IMO it is well worth booking the lounge seating - for £17 you get guaranteed seat and all drinks (non alcoholic) and snacks are inc.

Once on the island u can watch from any of the huge number of locations around the course for free - no ticket required - some of the very popular places have grandstand type seating which u need to pay for - not sure how much as never felt the need to use them - the key to getting a good spot is pretty obvious - get there early.

The real difficulty is getting accommodation - hotels and b&b's are all booked up way in advance and if u can find anything pricing seems to range from x2 to x4 of normal rates. The easiest way, if u can bear it is to book up on one of the many camp sites. The first time I went I got lucky as a friend of mine had a couple of contacts on the island who managed to get some beds sorted for us to stay. Since then I have managed to blag my way into sharing with a guy who rents an apartment for the duration or one of his mates. Cost for approx a week is around £3-400 for a bed with food extra. Good news is that the beer/Guinness is cheaper than the boozers in my neck of the woods (probably about the same for u in Surrey).

Hope this helps - the key is to try and find somewhere to stay and then the rest will fall into place. I have heard that there are websites where u can express your interest in going and they try and get digs sorted, not done it myself but others may be able to point u in the right direction on this.

If u can sort something out, u will not regret it - it is def the best road race event in the world and to be able to ride the course (when roads are open) is just awesome, particularly over the mountain now that they have made it one way for all of the two weeks, without the need to worry about getting pulled for doing 180 ;D

PM me if u need any more details and I will try and help.

Cheers
Stuart

Mate in our group has just deposit booked ferry for next year, only time was 3am !! Hopefully get a cancellation later on. We generally take over someones house for the duration who vacate the island, nice to chill out after a FULL day. You need to sort ferry first, no boat, no racing, no need for accomadation.................GET ON IT PRONTO YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT !!!!!!!!!

Back