New: HP4 RACE w/ Carbon Frame 2017

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
BMW-HP4-Race.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BMW.Motorrad.UK/videos/1135669163214008/

Whoa...they've done it...

If real there is a new HP4 coming - very trick, very carbon...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-bmw-...rbon-fiber-motorcycle-first-look-review-eicma
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-bmw-hp4-race-carbon-fiber-frame/

Spec so far;
Carbon Frame
Carbon Wheels
Carbon Panels
WSBK Forks / Shock

Basically it's cheap turn key WSBK...

Last edited:
BMW HP4 Race

Simply stunning. I wouldn't like to the price tag especially as it's sporting WSBK specification ?hlins gas forks, WSBK Brembo calipers and an Akrapovič Factory R&D race system. This looks very much like a race homologation special...

Had a quick mail exchange with Alistair of Bahnstormers.

They are taking refundable deposits now. ?500. They are refundable up to the point of production slot allocation.
Builds are likely to start late Q3 2017.
Full Cost circa ?60,000
Will likely not be road legal.

If you're lucky enough to have the ???'s for this then contact [email protected]

I am told there will be a road version after this...save your pennies for Q4 2017.

Moved from it's own thread by mods

Whist at the dealers today the salesmen were watching a BMW video of new models for 2017.

Included in the video was the new HP4 Race, that looks to have full carbon bodywork, super bike style swing arm, balance free forks. The images were not close ups and the dealer i was at did not seem to know anything about them other than what was in the video.

Looks like it will be the track only one that Budgie mentioned before.

Last edited by a moderator:
?60k for a track toy that you wouldn't want to ever drop, yikes, I worry about my cheapo ?20k HP4 lol... If it's true to BMW form on these halo bikes, it is the prelude to carbon frames on production motorcycles in 2018?? Now that would be nice :).

Last edited:
?60k for a track toy that you wouldn't want to ever drop, yikes, I worry about my cheapo ?20k HP4 lol... If it's true to BMW form on these halo bikes, it is the prelude to carbon frames on production motorcycles in 2018?? Now that would be nice :).

I think it will be the one thing that will survive and make it to the HP4 Road...Bahnstormers intimated there will be one...so I assume it will have DDC / Carbon Frame / Optional Carbon Wheels.

I like the idea but a carbon framed road HP4 will still be outrageously expensive, the Sthou will be due for a bit of an update in 2018 and lots of superb litre bikes due out in '17, so I'll watch with interest before deciding whether or not to have a change in a year or so's time

this wont happen. not for road. there too scared to fit just carbon wheels let a lone a frame. the new hp4 will be just like a 17 s1000rr with some carbon bits.

Car chassis have been done for years and IMO they go through more sheering stresses. This is a issue of cost, not material suitability, BMW has HEAVILY invested in Carbon Fibre from the raw materials -> end products. If they feel that demand is there to build a limited edition using the race frame then they will....because other wise the tooling (which is expensive) would go to waste. I think you'll see the ~500 homologation specials for WSBK/BSB/IDM will be made then you'll see the HP4 Road appear at EICMA 2017, without the fancy bolt-on's like the Ohlins WSBK suspension - instead it will be a DDC variant, M50 Brembo's etc...

Car chassis have been done for years and IMO they go through more sheering stresses. This is a issue of cost, not material suitability, BMW has HEAVILY invested in Carbon Fibre from the raw materials -> end products. If they feel that demand is there to build a limited edition using the race frame then they will....because other wise the tooling (which is expensive) would go to waste. I think you'll see the ~500 homologation specials for WSBK/BSB/IDM will be made then you'll see the HP4 Road appear at EICMA 2017, without the fancy bolt-on's like the Ohlins WSBK suspension - instead it will be a DDC variant, M50 Brembo's etc...

time will tell i suppose. but imo there wont be a road going bm with carbon frame for years if at all, not in a real world price range anyway. yes maybe a few for stupid money that will never get ridden but thats about it.

I was wondering:

Maybe BMW sees the sthou going more premium ? I bet the majority of sales are financed, nothing wrong with that, but it does make the rrp less relevant.

Is a carbon frame of much benefit to a road bike?

I think for mere mortals it will just drop the weight by 40% in the frame.
But yes carbon layup is so advanced now they can tune it like they do metal to bend and flex

- Sent from Mobile

Thats a ballpark based on others.
I think a normal frame is 8kg +/- 2kg. If anyone has weighed a frame please chime in.

- Sent from Mobile

Its not just weight but CoG. It will lower this and make the bike more manoeuvrable.

- Sent from Mobile

Back