Generator cover replacement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sn128

Hi all,

I am going to replace my scuffed generator cover. Does anybody have any tips/guide of the process? ie does the oil need to be drained beforehand (I don't expect so)? Does anybody recommend maker paste? I could not see a paper gasket on A&S BMW Motorcycles Microfiche

Thanks all

Are you talking about the pulse generator side (throttle) or the alternator side (clutch)? If its the pulse generator side there shouldn't be much oil in this part of the engine but personally I would leave it alone and fit some form of cover such as GB or R&G. If the bike goes over this part of the engine always touches down and I have seen first hand the damage that can be caused (wince).

Thanks for the reply. I mean the alternator side. It needs replacing as it is quite thin but not worn through (lucky!) and I will then stick a cover on the new one.

Has anybody got any photos with the cover replaced and how long would this take? I expect an hour or so with the fairings already removed? Any tips for the BMW?

I think the only bit that's going to be a slight pain is the clutch actuation arm that goes through the cover.

Thanks, I am going to change it this weekend.

Does anybody know the torque setting for the bolts?

Crikey I have a nasty feeling I guessed but they might have been in the distructions which have long since gone

Yes, that´s right. But i screw them with the hand without degrees and Nm-Key.
simply screw not to hard and it works. We in germany say "handwarm" means easy with the hand

Back