Brake Pads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfryer

Reaction score
Hi ' I've a 2012 RR which I've done 2500 miles 6 trackdays on. It needs brake pads ' I ride both track & road. What should I buy & from who ? The standard Pads seem good & long lasting but expensive if bought from BMW.

Cheers

I went for ebc, FA604/4 HH (2010) vast improvement imo. How long they last i guess is how hard your on the brakes. Be careful with some make, ive read that the mounting plate for the pad is too thin and can drop through the caliper when worn down, check dimensions.

Just had a quick look, demon tweeks have em for £42 (x2) Why they dont sell em for both calipers god only knows, who fits pads to only one caliper ???

Anyone found the EBC FA604/4HH cheaper than £44.95 delivered per caliper

Anyone found the EBC FA604/4HH cheaper than £44.95 delivered per caliper

I went for the EBC EPFA604/4HH (extreme pro) but they set me back £116 for both sides! Can't fault them though, general road riding and track days.

I've tried every pad that fits the BMW and have settled with cheapos from ebay for £34 (to do both sides).

Bananaman is right, pads will drop out, the OEM pads have a 4.5mm backing plate and other manufacturers have a 4mm plate. The Calipers are of course a universal Brembo thats been around for awhile and 4mm was the standard back plate size, BMW made the bike so it needed a 4.5mm so you would have to buy the OEM pads.

About 1.5 years ago I emailed EBC and Brembo and both said the used 4mm plates, although EBC were planning to make a pad with 4.5mm for the BMW. Don't know if they ever did.

I've test myself with cheap pads and for an after market to fall out it has to be metal on metal.

When the bike went in for the fuel pump recall, I was advised by local BMW dealer that the front pads needed changing, they wanted £160 to do it. I spoke to local independent dealer who ordered the pads (they provided EBC FA604/4HH). When they checked, the pads were no where near the point of needing to be changed, so I just paid for the pads and will change them when necessary. I am somewhat concerned about the remarks about pads falling out !! Will there be any problem with the pads I have been sold?

I favour Carbone Lorraine XBK5. Current set and brought another set for when they need changing.

If money was no object I would buy OEM brembos pads though.

Had SBS x2 and they weren't nice to my discs.

This is for general road riding.

I went for cheap pads off eBay 30 odd quid off eBay av had the brembo ect and honestly no difference they may or may not wear quicker but no braking difference and I ride bike in slick everyday and ride it very quick so it's a personal thing?

Stu1888 was it these? (picture below) or Goldfren?
KGr_Hq_VHJBMFJGRIwrwk_BSTq_Mg_SOw_60_12.jpg

I've actually commented in the past that the above pads for £34 to do both calipers are actually very good and perfectly acceptable for road riding.

Well I take it back, and if your using them, change them ASAP. They almost killed me (no joking there either)

The backing plate is thinner than needed so the pads when warn to much will drop out the calipers, thats not a problem for me for the cost, I just keep an eye on them and change them before to warn out. But other day whilst riding, the pads that had only done about 1000 miles came away from the backing plate (3 pads all at same time) leaving me zero pressure in the front brake. Pumped the brake 3/4 times rapidly to see if pressure would return and then the plates fell out of caliper causing the piston to smash against the disc.

Thats why I've just put new discs on, as I mention in the "what have you done to your bike today" thread.

If your using the Goldfren AD pads, Goldfren say 1. the AD pads are no good for the S1000RR and 2. suggest not buying there own pads on eBay due to the amount of fakes on there.

Back