The new(ish) Arai RX7V - a step forward, a step back

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
Long a user of Arais, I bought the new RX7V to replace my festering and chipped GP. By Arai's pace of change it's radical. By everyone else it's a tweak. Here are my thoughts in a (head)shell should you be mulling buying one:

1. Ye Gods, it's tight to put on. I think this has to be down to Arai making it quieter, which it is compared with the previous model. Yes, the head sizes are identical. And after a bit of time wearing it it becomes as comfortable as the earlier Arais. But the squeeze to fit it on has barely become easier and I'm told it's reminiscent of Schuberth (which I never bought because they were..er...hard to fit on).
  2. The side pod fitment remains odd and not that intuitive but it's a heap better than the business of poking around with screwdrivers and snapping tangs. It also plays a role, I think, in the far better fitting of the visor (see below) which now has that satisfying 'thunk' when shut. Remember when Volkswagen used to brag about the sound its doors made when shutting? Like that.
  3. The visor open lever is bigger but a definite step back - to open the visor from snap-shut requires you to do two movements - pull down to release the visor and then push it up. Before, you simply wrenched it upwards. It makes it a slightly scary faff when enjoying a bit of velocity - four more microseconds of attention span given over to "do I need to pull down now or push up?".
  4. The visor is meatier. This is a good thing.

Arai (or rather its importer) made a thing about its relatively lower price compared with the older model and I'm reasonably satisfied with it. I fall for the 'Arai-is-safer' line. But as prices climb on the back of Brexit and weaker sterling I would think a lot harder before committing to the top-o'-the-range Arai.

Agree with everything above I came from from chaser then a Chaser V... its so tight to pull on but totally eases off. Theres a chin extension thing I never knew that till last week... big red letters on the inside lol

stuarts phone

I've never had Arais as I've always bought Shoei, down to the fact that the only bike shop here sells them.
The visor faff had put me off in the past but I'd like to try the new model.
Really like the AGV pista carbon but yet to find someone who has one (or even see one)

The RX7V is superbly made but that matters little if it doesn't fit your bonce properly, my Shark Race R Pro carbon isn't perfect but fits like a glove

Arai

I've been using Arai helmets for the last 15 years on road and track. Having raced in them for countless seasons with a few serious 'offs' where my head has come into contact with the tarmac I trust Arai implicitly. Helmet choice is subjective but for me it's about fit and protection and I won't wear anything else. I have a couple of RX-7GPs at the moment but will likely buy an RX-7V when either of them need replacing.

Shame Arai and AGV don't fit my bonce, annoying to be reduced in choice...Shoei do me ok though ;)

Last edited:
After a big off head first rx7gp did its job perfect noisy but as its a race Hrlmet nore ventilation just got my new rx7v and I thinks it's improved

ive had a few rx7gp's but due to the lack of decent colours ive gone back to the shoei xspirit 3 this time. just wanted something brighter for the road..will keep with the rx7's for the track though. the shoei is very tight to put on and remove but it dose come with the quick release cheek pads now like the rx7's.

How often is everyone replacing helmets? Just when they have went down the road or with fashion?
I've had my AGV stealth now for 4 years and it seems just as good as when I first put it on. Apart from the wind guard below the chin ripping.

How often is everyone replacing helmets? Just when they have went down the road or with fashion?
I've had my AGV stealth now for 4 years and it seems just as good as when I first put it on. Apart from the wind guard below the chin ripping.

I change mine every 4-5 years, my understanding is that after around 5 years use the interior will have compressed and won't offer quite the same degree of protection as when new even if the lid itself still looks in excellent condition, I guess it also depends on how often you've used it in that time but manufacturers seem to be fairly consistent with this recommendation.

I change mine every 4-5 years, my understanding is that after around 5 years use the interior will have compressed and won't offer quite the same degree of protection as when new even if the lid itself still looks in excellent condition, I guess it also depends on how often you've used it in that time but manufacturers seem to be fairly consistent with this recommendation.

I'm with you MacRR, I'll also add that sweat can also accelerate the degrading process in the interior of the helmet. Bacteria will slowly reduce the effectiveness of the inner materials to mould to the shape your head making the interior padding flat and less spongy.
I have never worn a helmet without a balaclava for this reason.

JimmyMac

Mine usually a year sell it if not crashed put money towards new one , I change cheek pads afte 6 month as I like a really snug fit

UV can also make the outer shell more brittle...thus not shock absorbing.

I believe most manufacturers recommend 2 years. But I think it depends how often it's used too! Mine sits in darkness when not in use.

Sold my last 2 crutchlow ones for ?300 and ?250 on eBay no problem bott well used . Mind u if ur going to buy a tried and tested helmet suppose Cals is the one to go for most crashed lol

Re: Arai

I have an "Arai head", so used to use them exclusively. I'm pretty much stuck with Reevu now though, simply because I could never go back to mirrors. Best motorcycle invention ever.

I crashed a few years back at about 60-70 and had a brand new chaser v on , helmet was trashed and I slid face down , not a mark on my head at all. I wouldn't ride in anything else now.

Also moved from an Arai Chaser to an RX7-V in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Things I noticed:

- The RX7V has far more 'lift' (as in the opposite of down force) than the Chaser. Probably attributed to the increased ventilation over my previous helmet, but its an effort to keep your noggin behind the tiny screen on the S1K. Outcome being that I now need a double bubble screen and am closing some vents on track to reduce this effect. Surprising and annoying.

- The Chin skirt or whatever is is called - nice idea, reduces wind noise but massively reduces air circulation/breath when stationary. On warm days I am cooking before leaving the house. I've now removed it and will only install the chin skirt thing if I know I am going to be doing motorway or long distance. Wont be using that on track.

- Visor changing. Massively improved and I like the new mechanism between open/close/vent. During the life of my previous Arai i had to replace both side pods after snapping them at one time or another, these seem much less likely to break.

- Visor field of vision - again huge improvement, probably better then all the wings, vents and gubbins when you can see more.

As for life - I had the old one for ~6 years. Was still perfectly fine only replaced due to manufacture guidance rather that wear. I always give the helmet a clean and spray with an anti-bacterial solution so that's helped.

Back