200x55 Rear tyre

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfryer

Reaction score
Ive been @ the North West 200 all week & I've noticed that all the S1000RR's are running 200x55 rear tyres instead of the standard 190x55. I've asked the riders if the tyre affects the traction control in anyway & most say no but one rider did say it slightly affects the traction control. Has anybody any accurate information on this. I own a 2012 RR

The traction control works by measuring any differences in the wheel speeds between the front and back. The rolling circumference has an effect on this as these are set perimeters within the ECU programming so changing the rear tyre size will alter the wheel speeds and could upset the traction control.

Thanks ' but I was told that the perimeters within the ECU programming allowed for a 200x55 rear tyre & I'm trying to find out if this is true. I think the RSV4 is programed something similar to allow for both 190x55 & 200x55. I was also told that the 55 size was the most important & the 200 didn't make any difference. Still not sure what to believe

I would be very surprised if they went to the trouble of testing with the 200 tyre and adding it to the road bike ecu as it isn't an approved size. They only have three approved oem tyres for it as it is. The Aprillia does come supplied with a 200 tyre so it would be differently set up. But who knows either way BMW won't recommend it.

Back