Slick Mode and track day advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
So, I'm brushing up on slick mode as I'm doing two track days on Sat/Sun for the first time, really looking forward to it. No idea what to expect tbh.

There's more than a few of you have a pile of experience on the track and rather than just turn up and ride in race mode I wanted to try slick mode and get the full benefit out of the bikes on board systems, I'm there for a full two days so have bags of time to play about with the settings.

I've never used anything other than race mode. So the question is who uses what mode and why... I'll read through the manual tonight, but there's no substitute for real experiences.

What about tyre pressures, Mac suggests 30 psi all round..I've 7RRs on

Thanks guys in advance

Stuart

Slick is the quickest response when you crack the throttle open, has the least wheelie intervention, the least abs intervention in fact the least everything intervention lol.

Slick plug ? Have I got one of these... I can go into slick mode and alter from -7 to + 7. Does that mean I have one installed ?

Stu

stuarts phone

Slick plug ? Have I got one of these... I can go into slick mode and alter from -7 to + 7. Does that mean I have one installed ?

Stu

stuarts phone

Aye, if it goes into Slick on the dash, it's plugged in.
It lives under the seat at the front left, where your left baw would be if it wasn't for your medical condition....
Mines lives in the packet I got from the dealer when I bought the bike, he kind of put me off plugging it in by saying it was the "Suicide key"
Will be good to get feedback on what it's really like Stu. Will see you up there.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I'd try race mode first on track first day if you find flaws or limits of bike in that then opt for slick . Good luck enjoy weekend

Riding Modes

The main difference between RACE and SLICK modes is that the throttle response is far more aggressive. There is also a reduction in engine braking; DTC response is far less intrusive and will allow the bike to slide when asked; and the DDC setup as standard is much firmer. With hard acceleration the front wheel will rise more quickly and likewise the rear will lift under heavy braking as the ABS is delinked. Overall the bike feels more akin to a race bike when used in SLICK mode. The best advice is to begin in RACE mode, particularly if it's your first trackday, and just concentrate on the fundamentals of track riding i.e. racing line, braking points etc. If there is free instruction being offered at the event then it's definitely recommended spending a session or two with an instructor. Once your used to the circuit and you feel more confident on the bike then experiment with SLICK mode. Just make sure you ride within your limits and above all else make sure you enjoy yourself whether it's wet or dry.

I have only every used race mode on track stu, and it's fine , never felt the need to use slick at anytime , must not be going fast enough lol

I'd try race mode first on track first day if you find flaws or limits of bike in that then opt for slick . Good luck enjoy weekend

Do this Stu ^^^, thats good advice from sissy. Get used to the track, get your lines and get smooth, only when you find the TC intervening when you are in control and dont want it to would I suggest Slick. The -7 to +7 is the DTC intervention in slick. i.e. you can dial it up or down (off). Slick makes everything more aggressive, and is great fun, but if you dont know your way around the track first you will lose pace.

With your tyres, unless you are ripping it up I wouldnt go too low on the pressures because the carcass will start moving about and it can be quite offputting feeling the tyre side move when you are turning in. So many people turn up at a trackday and immediately start taking pressure out of their tyres without much thought. Start off with them at the pressures you would normally ride at for the first session and see how they feel, over the sessions gradually drop a few psi out of them. I have never gone lower than 30 / 34 on the M7RRs at a trackday and never had any issues. The exact psi you run well with will depend on temperatures (track and ambient) and your pace.

Hope you have a great weekend at it.

Have fun! I tried slick mode briefly at Snetterton but really didn't get on with it, primarily because of the lack of engine braking. The bike really felt like it was running on everywhere. I find at the first day learning a track I tend to coast into the braking zone with engine braking before pulling on the anchors, but with slick mode every corner ended up with being brain-out on the brakes when I went what felt like too fast (but what was probably well within the limit of the bike). I guess it could make sense when you really know a track and you're hitting braking markers and going for lap time, but it isn't for me.

Not sure what modes you get on the HP4, but on my '15 I tend to use USER mode with "race" settings, but with DTC dropped down between -2 and -4, this offsets the feeling of the motor holding back coming out of corners, and allows some front lift- feels really cool when you're still hanging off :) Also you get just enough movement of the rear to let you know when you're getting toward the limit of rear grip.

On the road I use "sport" ABS, but on track it seemed to intervene too quickly and (oddly) seemed to make made the bike feel squirrely and close to the limit, when in fact there was more braking available.

Last edited:
Thats all brilliant advice lads, ill just get a good few laps in 1st then I can start playing with the settings and pressures.... slick does sound interesting.

stuarts phone

Instruction is the best advice full stop. Try and get it early on, if you have it late in the day you could be practising wrong lol. When I first put it in slick not knowing what to expect I went with +7 tc (max) then gradually backed it off which you can do on the fly, that way you can understand gradually how it responds. Have fun !!

Weathers totally fucked.. im still in the house. Loupes there it looks miserable

stuarts phone
Best time to go out on a new track mate cos you will be going slower its easier to learn where the track goes, get an instructor to show you round nice n slow.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Canny be bothered now... i get that Phil and good advice... takes me 2hrs to get there so ill be soaked thru... im actually raging

stuarts phone

Feel for you Stuart, nothing more annoying than the weather not doing its thing. The forecast looks to be improving so fingers crossed for you guys.

Loupe just text me this...

Getting worse ffs. Soul destroying watching but one bike down already.

Lol im going thru in the car to meet him and drop panels at Jimmy Macs anyway Soof so not a wasted day. But was sooooo looking forward to it...damn

stuarts phone

Last edited:
Agree with Phil riding track in wet keeps u off brakes learns you the lines so when it drys up you got a nice rhythm , 5 track days this year only one I've had dry, be spot on on m7rrs

Back