Crash bungs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bantam Steve

Reaction score
Has any one on here come off their bike with frame protectors on ?
Did they save the fairing ?
I had a low speed spill last month at about 20mph with Gilles protectors on
As soon as the bike hit the road and slid the thread striped from the offset bracket and the Bung done nothing
I have been in touch with Gilles and they are telling me that they are there to protect only the frame should the bike fall on its side
So my question is which sliders are recommended
Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

Hard to say which are best having not tested any myself. I have been using R&G Aeros on my bike for the past few years but decided to remove them recently (still for sale btw) because my most likely off is going to be at speed and I don't want them to flip the bike and cause more damage. I use third party fairings along with GB engine case protectors, front fork and swingarm protectors, and carbon frame and swingarm covers.

I had the engine protector on when it happened and thankfully that done its job
Just disappointed with the frame protector as it saved nothing

I haven't bothered fitting crash bungs to the frame of my bike as I think they can potentially cause more damage than they save (If anyone would like to buy a set of Evotech frame crash bungs pm me). I think carbon frame covers and engine case protectors are the way to go.

Crash Protection

In the past I've crashed on track using both R&G and GB Racing products and they both performed incredibly well and saved the frame and engine from damage. The debate will inevitably continue on which is the better product but ultimately all crashes are different and vary significantly; so what works for one individual may not work for someone else. You can?t really go wrong with any of the leading brands but most will have only have been designed to protect the frame and engine as opposed to anything aesthetic like fairings.

Re: Crash Protection

I had a very low speed spill pulling off my drive onto the road with new tyres on and lost the rear :stupid: I had Lightech crash bungs on and there was not a mark on my fairing. I did my HP footrest in and my GB Racing cover protected my case, so I was very happy with the Lightech Bungs. What they'd be like in a high speed spill I couldn't say but tbh I fitted mine mainly for low speed spills or bike falling over, if you have an off at high speed then a bit of fairing damage is the least of your problems. When my son raced I didn't have them on his bike because I'd rather replace fairings than bend a frame. I think what I'm saying is....Yes for a roadbike....No for a racebike/trackbike

Crash Protection

I personally opt for low profile crash protection specifically designed for track use.

I've had R&G on my bikes since 2006. Each bike has been 'saved' by these in low & or carpark spills. Since racing from 2010 I've had a couple of 'high' (er) speed spills and they have been effective, but, mainly on tarmac and only a few yards of gravel. Lucky? maybe, but you don't choose where to crash lol . Top boys don't use any but even their bikes seem to disintegrate and not slide.

Not sure the Alpha racing bungs are any good for the HP4 as I don't think they have the offset bracket
I have just looked at the description for the Gilles bungs and it says will protect at low speed spills ?
All I can say is the second it hit the road the thread striped and saved nothing
I wouldn't mind if they said maybe there was a fault in the manufacturing but being told they are only ment to protect the bike if it falls over seems pointless really having them on

alpha Racing

The alpha Racing crash protectors have no offset bracket as they are designed be low profile and mount directly to the frame spar and engine mount. That and they are only designed to protect the frame and nothing else.

Not sure the Alpha racing bungs are any good for the HP4 as I don't think they have the offset bracket
I have just looked at the description for the Gilles bungs and it says will protect at low speed spills ?
All I can say is the second it hit the road the thread striped and saved nothing
I wouldn't mind if they said maybe there was a fault in the manufacturing but being told they are only ment to protect the bike if it falls over seems pointless really having them on

You are correct Steve, they don't fit the hp4 because there is no offset bracket. It's a shame because they are unobtrusive and will save your fairings on a drop/spill as well as the frame (in theory). I even tried using the R&G bracket but frustratingly the bracket is a different pitch thread to the alpha fixing bolt.

alpha Racing

You can still fit them but you would need to modify the fairing.

Back