Internals of the STHOU at full chat!! (braaaaaaap)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is crazy what those internals go through, specifically the springs.
When we get digital electromagnetic valves, engines will shrink, weight reduce, burn efficiencies will go up and therefore power too. Because they will allow more rpm than current spring tech can supply. The lift and duration of the camless engines will be tuneable across the rev/load range. Giving better mpg/trq/power.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Check out Koenigsegg they are working on it. Video on youtube

- Sent from Mobile

Check out Koenigsegg they are working on it. Video on youtube

- Sent from Mobile
I did.. looked over a couple of the vids... looks a very interesting project, some very smart guys involved there.. im still trying to figure out what closes and what opens the valves lol

stuarts phone

Magnets. Heard of Maglev I assume where you can make a train hover with magnetic forces acting against each other. They do the same with the valves only the use them to modulate the valve position... 1 moving part, the valve itself. Little or no lubrication, no cams, no springs etc

- Sent from Mobile

Ahhh, I looked over the vids this morning before leaving for Knockhill.. Yea I get it now with the maglev, how smart is that, very little in the way of moving parts at the top end, no camshaft, so does that remove the need for valve clearance adjustment as we know it ? . This has to be the way forward, wonder what Ducati think of this ?, they are quite proud of the Desmo system.

This koenesigg guy is super smart, he may be the James Dyson of the combustion engine.

Last edited:
Lotus have had the tech for years in a lab (pre-2001 when I worked there). Never been able to invest enough to make it small enough to work on a proper engine.
The desmodronic system is very good as it avoids valve float (spring return not quick enough).
But the fastest systems for the 21,000rpm F1 V8's were all pneumatic.
Those systems are no good for road cars (require repressurisation), they should have been ruled out a decade ago as then we'd have camless electromagnetic valve systems already (motorsport like war improves tech).
The systems are infinitely variable for lift and duration (yes no wear so no adjusting-beyond electronic calibration). You can have valves that are semi-circles (half the piston area). Massive improvements in combustion efficiency are possible.
The engine will probably be a single block, no separate head. And much much shorter so the centre of gravity drops too...

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Back