That was close !!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golding

Reaction score
Picture it.....about an hour ago.

- Car in front turns off (Left)
- Car waiting to turn right into the same road going the other way lets another car pull out before turning themselves.
- INFRONT OF ME ! who's doing 40 !

I jump on the anchor and am in full stoppie mode ( I'v not done one that big ever ) manage to not end up on the bonnet by 2 inches, litrally.

Anyway.... I kind of feel sorry for the driver as he was flashed out and didn't see me.
I say sorry for him, as he was green and in bad shock afterwards.

Heres the best bit.

The car that flashed him out was the old bill !! I shit you not .

They even praised me for managing to stop some how. They also avoided any conversation about blame, but told me how 'lucky' I was. I didn't feel lucky.

Would have liked to see that one play out in court.

Anyway.... The moral of the story is .... BREMBO BRAKES ARE AMAZING !!!

I bet you needed a change of undies when you got home :eek:

You need to get a near death experience every now & then to make you feel alive ;)
Just not every day though eh? ;D

Plod probably thought it was your fault for not wearing full hi-vis.

Good to hear the brembo's work well and u are fine - hopefully u have now had a couple of stiff ones to calm down.

Glad it ended up good.

As for blame, well there would be (possibly) 2 people at fault here.

Firstly would be the person who pulled out in front of you.

Second person (assuming the speed limit was 30) was you.

There would be no legal blame towards the plod. Flashing your headlights is actually a warning.

Highway Code said:
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.
Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Godzilla link=topic=798.msg7654#msg7654 date=1336546586 said:
Glad it ended up good.

As for blame, well there would be (possibly) 2 people at fault here.

Firstly would be the person who pulled out in front of you.

Second person (assuming the speed limit was 30) was you.

There would be no legal blame towards the plod. Flashing your headlights is actually a warning.

Highway Code said:
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.
Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

So, IYHO plod had instantly assesed that the bike rider was in risk and flashed their lights to indicate to the car driver the proximity of the oncoming biker and that they should NOT pull out. That certainly is an interesting take on what otherwise seems to be the usual "sorry mate, I did not see you" scenario.

Clearly, the car driver would be to blame in a court of law, as you rightly say it would be regarded as their responsibility to assess the safety or otherwise of pulling out at that moment.

BTW - not sure why you would assume the speed limit was 30, could easily have been 40 or 50 given the lack of other information regarding location, street lighting etc.

After changing my pants and having had a pint ....... I've have time to go over what happened.

It was a 50 for the record and it was an unmarked car.

I'm struggling to feel any blame though, but I'v always been this way, that and I didn't get wiped out !!!
Thanks to amazing brakes.....I never thought they would stop so we and under so much control
(except the back wheel being 18" off the deck)

What happened, happens a million times a day. Everyone is rushing around and bikes are alway the last thing people
think of. It was another big reminder that bikers need to ride on the defence. Its not right or fair....but it's life.
I shouldn't need to be reminded after riding a bike for 15 years.

Well ...... off out on my bike now, sun is shining up north ..... :)

Like I said before, I am glad it all ended up well.

I did not say you were to blame, I said it was one of 2 possibilities, and for you, only if the speed limit was 30.

I made no assumption as to what assessments the plod made. In my opinion he was totally wrong to flash his lights, as are 99.9% of people who flash lights, but playing the blame game, my opinion would not matter. He would be in no way accountable for the accident.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Back