HP4 Click/clunk on the brakes

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I get a significant click/clunk noise and feel it through the bars when I pull the front brake to a 'firm' stop. It happens at the end of the braking, It's not abs. Anyone else get this? I wonder if it's the pads moving in the calipers but it does seem a bit weird, didn't happen with the demo '16 bike.

It probabil is the front discs. They develop with time a small gap. Try moving with your hand backwards and forwards and see if you can replicate that sound. Mine does it and my GSXR 600K6 did it also after some thousands km.

Thanks for the reply. I can replicate it by rolling the bike forward and pulling hard on the brake lever. I had new discs fitted recently so don't know if that negates what you suggest it is? The bike has always done this as far back as I can remember, and nothing has cropped up at service interval or mot testing, was hoping another HP4 owner has the same thing?

Thanks for the reply. I can replicate it by rolling the bike forward and pulling hard on the brake lever. I had new discs fitted recently so don't know if that negates what you suggest it is? The bike has always done this as far back as I can remember, and nothing has cropped up at service interval or mot testing, was hoping another HP4 owner has the same thing?

Try as I told you with your hands. If they move back and front then there is a small gap been created. If they move left right it is normal I think they are semi floating.

I can get a 'popping/clicking' sensation at very low speeds. Had it for a while. I assume it's the pads or the ABS servo.

Minor hijack guys..hope thats OK..does anyone feel a flutter in the brake lever as you apply at high speed ? As I squeeze a bit tighter and take the edge of the speed it disappears. Its quite noticeable..

Chances are, if you can replicate it by 'rocking' the bike forwards and back with the brake applied, It's a culmination of free play in the braking system (floating disks moving on the bobbins and pads shifting slightly in the caliper), nothing to worry about. If it concerns you pop over for a brew and ill take a look :)

If its a heavier clunk that you can feel through the bars it could indicate loose steering head bearings but i think thats unlikely as they'd have spotted it at the dealers during the free health check.

Also, have the brake calipers ever been serviced?

Minor hijack guys..hope thats OK..does anyone feel a flutter in the brake lever as you apply at high speed ? As I squeeze a bit tighter and take the edge of the speed it disappears. Its quite noticeable..

That sounds like the first indicator of a slightly warped disk. Is there much free play in the disk bobbins? as a build up of road muck and corrosion in the bobbins could cause this (its worth checking before deciding the disk(s) are warped)

Last edited:
Chances are, if you can replicate it by 'rocking' the bike forwards and back with the brake applied, It's a culmination of free play in the braking system (floating disks moving on the bobbins and pads shifting slightly in the caliper), nothing to worry about. If it concerns you pop over for a brew and ill take a look :)

If its a heavier clunk that you can feel through the bars it could indicate loose steering head bearings but i think thats unlikely as they'd have spotted it at the dealers during the free health check.

Also, have the brake calipers ever been serviced?

I haven't tried rocking it but I will try it.

It sounds/feels like something has snapped/given/moved as I pull hard on the lever and the bike slows to a halt, I feel it more through the left bar than the right, but that may just my perception rather than fact. It happens just before the wheels stop turning. It never happens at other speeds. Braking is still excellent, so it doesn't have any impact on performance, but if it's not normal I'd like to get it sorted.

I had a very harsh version of what you describe and it turned out to be high points on the discs.

That sounds like the first indicator of a slightly warped disk. Is there much free play in the disk bobbins? as a build up of road muck and corrosion in the bobbins could cause this (its worth checking before deciding the disk(s) are warped)

I had a very harsh version of what you describe and it turned out to be high points on the discs.

Ill check that Stephen, washing bike tomorrow so will do it then...thanks I'll let you know...

on the high points Soof, did you replace the discs or live with it... I have a gut feeling the discs are starting to get out of shape, im heavy on my fronts as I never use my rear..
Stuart

So lads I checked the discs over today... visual check... nothing untoward... pads maybe 2000 miles on them, replaced end of March...

Then I gave the discs a physical test as in checked the play on the rotor against the bobbins with me kneeling at the front and pushing the disc back to the rear and pulling toward the front of the bike not sure how far but maybe 1 or 2 mil, the resistance felt similar on each disc... there didnt appear to be much if any lateral movement... any views on this would be appreciated..

I think I have narrowed down the issue further.

Noticed today that I can feel a slight knocking/mechanical feeling mainly through the left hand grip when doing between 30-40 mph pretty much consistently when the suspension is having to work. It's not massively noticeable but it's there. Above that there's nothing. Pulling up to a stop I still get that click/clunk as before. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my DDC left fork as that's the side I get the feeling through the bars and after changing discs and pads I'm convinced it isn't the brakes. Ive ruled out the headstock because it feels solid on turns and there's no give or movement. So I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and see if one of their guys can take a quick look this week.

I don't really understand the DDC internals so anyone who does might be able to suggest what is causing it? Could it be low oil in the fork?

I think I have narrowed down the issue further. Noticed today that I can feel a slight knocking/mechanical feeling mainly through the left hand grip when doing between 30-40 mph pretty much consistently when the suspension is having to work. It's not massively noticeable but it's there. Above that there's nothing. Pulling up to a stop I still get that click/clunk as before. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my DDC left fork as that's the side I get the feeling through the bars and after changing discs and pads I'm convinced it isn't the brakes. Ive ruled out the headstock because it feels solid on turns and there's no give or movement. So I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and see if one of their guys can take a quick look this week. I don't really understand the DDC internals so anyone who does might be able to suggest what is causing it? Could it be low oil in the fork?

I'm also unfamiliar with the inner workings of the ddc, but it's unlikely to be the fork oil level causing the clunk you describe.

Your best bet is to have a mechanic look at it as you've suggested.

Just to clarify - is it a single click clunk every time you come to a stop? It doesn't have the same feeling as a manual torque wrench clicking does it?

Back