Trickle Charger HP4 2014

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thinking of buying a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up on my HP4, I see BMW do there own, does anyone recommend a particular one, it said in the manual to disconnect the negative lead first then the positive, will this set the Alarm off ? The battery looks small, is it a 6 volt on the HP4 2014.

Cheers Paul:courage::courage:

I have been using a ctek charger since the day I got my hp4 in July 2013 and no issues. I have a factory fitted alarm also. Optimate is another favourite.

I fitted the convenience plug to the positive and negative off the battery and run the cable up into the pillion seat cowl area so I could plug it in without taking the rider seat off every time. Works a treat.

Same cable route as Soofy, I use a Optimate 4 no issues in three years of use on the HP4 and GSA, both with trackers and alarms.

JimmyMac

The BMW charger would be useful if you were going to charge the bike through a canbus accessory socket - which you aren't. Otherwise any motorcycle trickle charger will do the job. I think mine is an Optimate III. It has a molex connector which I wired to the battery terminals and cable-tied to the subframe - no faffing around removing seat cowls, just plug it in.

I've used an Optimate for the last 8 years on 4 different bikes. Mines is also permanently fixed and hidden away beside the battery, I only use it when the bikes layed up over the winters. Wouldn't think you'd need to worry about till October time though.

I use a CTEK for the HP4 and Optimate for my Ducati 998, with charging connectors permanently in place. Never had any problem with either.

Back