Latest service..OUCH

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpedge

Reaction score
Bike sent into BMW for a yearly service and the garage promptly did a 6K service on the bike when there was only just over 5K on the clock. Not an issue I'm sure to blow through 6K in a few weeks. Got a call to say the bike was done but the front tyre was close to legal limit and did I want to have it changed. I did not even think about the tyres before the service so I ok'd the tyre change. Bike was late coming out of the shop so I sat and spoke to the chaps about the 1000XR. Conversation was interrupted to tell me that the front brake pads had delaminated when the wheel was removed. Oh and it was 17:55 and the pads would not be get there until the next day. Just under 200 notes for the service, 150 ish for the new tyre and another 140 for 2 sets of pads.

I asked for a 1000XR loan bike as I?m thinking of replacing my 7yr old GS. Did not get on with the XR at all so I?m about to drop 15K on a new GSA?..I?d say that?s one hell of an expensive service/visit to the dealer.

Dealers love to replace tyres as it earns them a bit more cash for little effort. Same with pads. But, safety first...

S1000RR + GSA seems to be a common/growing theme!

Bike sent into BMW for a yearly service and the garage promptly did a 6K service on the bike when there was only just over 5K on the clock. Not an issue I'm sure to blow through 6K in a few weeks. Got a call to say the bike was done but the front tyre was close to legal limit and did I want to have it changed. I did not even think about the tyres before the service so I ok'd the tyre change. Bike was late coming out of the shop so I sat and spoke to the chaps about the 1000XR. Conversation was interrupted to tell me that the front brake pads had delaminated when the wheel was removed. Oh and it was 17:55 and the pads would not be get there until the next day. Just under 200 notes for the service, 150 ish for the new tyre and another 140 for 2 sets of pads.

I asked for a 1000XR loan bike as I’m thinking of replacing my 7yr old GS. Did not get on with the XR at all so I’m about to drop 15K on a new GSA…..I’d say that’s one hell of an expensive service/visit to the dealer.

I think I'd have said thanks and got the front tyre and pads done cheaper anywhere else, not ridden an XR but I do have a '15GSA TE (having had a twin cam GSA for a few months before that). Big improvement in performance, smoothness, kit including Q/S, autoblipper, cruise etc. I really enjoy riding mine - ok its not an RR, but you can get a move on and its brilliant if the weathers crap, I need to carry stuff or I'm doing a lot of motorway miles. Why not keep your GS and get a new RR though??

When I was at the dealer last week I got talking to a guy who had owned the previous gen GS. He had tried an XR and didn't like it - not a surprise, they are vibey (even BMW have revised the model this year to get rid of some of the vibes they said didn't exist lol), and just a RR with less power, more weight, and more upright...

On to the coversation about the GS, he had also tried the new one (I have one like MacRR but mine is in the faster blue colour) but didn't like it at all. When he told the dealer this the sales guy replied that a lot of the previous gen GS owners didn't get on with the new bike. The reasoning was that the new GS needed to be ridden more like a sports bike than a tourer. Have to say, in my ownership experience, that is exactly right. I was out last night for a quick ride and supper with a good friend (much older than me and on a '05 plate GS) and the pace was very slow. The GSA didn't like 'bumbling' along at all, it much prefers a spirited approach :).

Last edited:
I think I'd have said thanks and got the front tyre and pads done cheaper anywhere else, not ridden an XR but I do have a '15GSA TE (having had a twin cam GSA for a few months before that). Big improvement in performance, smoothness, kit including Q/S, autoblipper, cruise etc. I really enjoy riding mine - ok its not an RR, but you can get a move on and its brilliant if the weathers crap, I need to carry stuff or I'm doing a lot of motorway miles. Why not keep your GS and get a new RR though??

Sorry was not clear in the text, it was the RR/HP4 that was in the shop for the service. I have always regretted getting the GS and not the GSA, time to change that me thinks. Also looking to get the faster blue one, wink wink.

Bought my '10 GSA on a whim, couldn't wait to get rid lol

Sacrilege, That was the best year. LOL

Soofy, I hear what you are saying about the new GSA, I took one out the first day of release and felt that it was trying to compete with the Multistrada for power, handling and weight. It also seemed a wee bit confused as to what it was compared to the traditional GSA tractors that went before. When I took it back the dealer was expecting me to buy one as he knows my liking for the oil cooled ones. When I told him it was too fast, he laughed and said "Too fast, you've got a F**king HP4". That was my issue, the HP4 is fast, it looks fast and it does what it looks like. The WC GSA looks like a tractor but rides like a Sports tourer, great piece of engineering though it is, if your used to an older heavier Boxer it is hard to change for some. The radiators are also an issue for me as I've said before, but thats only for my fetish for riding where some people wouldn't walk.

Sharpedge, had this with my dealer last year, they told me my front discs were at limit, only through getting them checked with a micrometer found out they were fine, my local dealership Mgr told me that some employees are encouraged to commit "Upselling" and he would have a word.

JimmyMac

Guess that was the problem Jimmy, road is road and off road is off road to me, I didn't have the use for a mish-mash lol. Found it bloody uncomfortable also after couple of hours. Bought a zzr14, could stay in the saddle all day on that but no grass tracking lol !
Oh, forgot.... Bloody spoke wheels !! Haven't cleaned them for 40yrs lol ! :mad-new:

Last edited:
Back