For those of us who are about to die.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Mornin team.

I've joined the forum as I am about to become a s1000rr owner, the deposit is down, insurance set up to go, just waiting for a dry day and a test ride.

Many of you I feel will label me as a daft, suicidal idiot when you read what I am about to write below but if we can skip over the melodrama and stone throwing as quickly as possible and get on to constructive advice going forward I'd really appreciate it!

I rode crossers a bit in my teens, got my full licence 4 years ago but have only had two track days since at Mallory where they got me going on a thundercat, bandit, v-twin then finally an R1. Now coming from bike test to track was great as it allowed me to get the feel of different bikes without the obstacles the highway brings. I found that I didn't ride the R1 much faster particularly, it just felt better as it handled better, had better brakes and fairing and felt more 'planted.' I've also had surgery on my back and so leant over on a sports-bike is strangely comfortable as I struggle at 90 degrees in a more upright position.

I'm in my mid-thirties have much more self preservation and maturity in my right wrist than I did when I was a lot younger ... (pun intended)

My verdict is that whilst I acknowledge I have limited road-craft in the saddle and jumping on a litre sportsbike is not ideal in the learning curve stakes I have decided to buy the Beamer, leave it in rain mode for six months and start learning to ride it - do a couple of guided track days and my advanced motorbike test and take it on sunny sundays and ride like Mary Poppins on pro plus within the speed limits - I find a healthy balance of fear and respect invokes a new founded discipline in me.

So I took out a BMW f800 yesterday for an hour and the guys at BMW are being sound, just letting me build up to testing the s1000rr and have been kind enough to hold the bike I have put a deposit down on for a few weeks.

I also managed to get the double r race suit, double r helmet with bluetooth, double r gloves & boots second hand for a grand from some fella who is off to live abroad and was selling up and by same trick of destiny was exactly the same size. So I am literally the fella with all the gear and no idea. Recognising that and moving forward, I'll be putting a 1000rr into rain mode at some point when the weather dries up and subject to testing satisfaction going and joining the Germanic sportster family.

Now I'm not a 'complete' novice but I am to litre sportsbikes so I thought I'd chuck open the floodgates to any advice tips and warnings and abuse that are to come my way....

Any advice support, riding tips appreciated......

Nick.

Hi Nick, can't really help you but I'm replying as I am in exactly the same position as you bar the back problems.
I have had my full license for 11 years but due to family and business have owned bikes on and off. Sometimes 3 months without one, sometimes ( now) 2 years.
I am only 5'8 and considered litre bikes out of my size range with my feet barely able to touch the floor.
2 years on, I sat on a blade, 848 and the S 1000 and was amazed. My feet were flat on the floor and I didn't feel like I was riding a barrel.
I am taking a test ride in a couple of weeks to see if it's the bike for me but in all honesty, I think I have already made the choice save a disastrous test ride.
I think, like all vehicles, it goes as fast or as slow as you want them to. I was always well aware on a 600 that I could get myself in a mess, as I could on a 400. I think the much better brakes, suspension and electronic back up might well make it safer than a 600 or 750 with no rider aids.
I always found that I got used to a new bike very quickly.
I have always stuck to the golden rule of if you have to ask can I make it, you shouldn't even be trying. It has served me well and, at the risk of tempting fete, I have remained right side up for 11 years.
I have never done a track day but it will be on the cards within the first month of ownership of the 1000rr.
As long as you have a healthy respect of the 200 odd hp at the back wheel I think the 1000rr is probably the safest super sports bike to get your litre wings on.

Sounds like you may get yours before mine. Days are dragging like a kid 3 weeks before Xmas!

Thanks buddy.

The reviews I read say that despite still having 150 horses in rain mode on the 2011 model it rides like a dosile 600-750 if you choose to to ride it that way with the rain mode and associated electronic assists in play. If anybody wants to coment on this I'd be interested in what they have to say.....

I suppose I'd like to know how 'twitchy' it is lol

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I hear what you are saying about touching the floor, the bikes these days are more accessible if you are not 5'11

Are you in for the new 2012 or are you going for 2011 like me?

N.

and the award for the longest question goes too.... ;) ;) They only go as fast as you want them to mate, but playing devils advocate i'd give caution that (i) speed can be deceptive on these because they handle so well going into corners (ii) I personally learnt to ride on bikes that you had to fight with to get them to go round corners, working my way up due to technology of the bikes and the depth of my pockets. Think over all it's made me a better rider not that im a tommy hill or anything. SAYING THAT, who wants to listen to the devil, they handle well and can be forgiving so ENJOY

...Hey, welcome to the club. I'm just about to turn 44, have been riding 3 years, the S1000RR is my 3rd BIG bike. It's cool, I love it and it's clever enough to save my arse when my skill runs out! Enjoy..........

Hi Nick see your Northants based. Where abouts as most of my mates are from Northampton and we are all 40 + with various 1000cc bikes and found out and about in local area.

Guarantee that once you have ridden it in any mode other than rain then you won't want to ride it in rain. Yes bike has brutal acceleration but only if you want it to. People ask me what it is like to ride and I reply " its like having a 600 size wise but can be ridden around like a twist and go scooter if required as engine is so flexible" I never feel that the bike is controlling me, it rides they same way a your mood for the day. Can't see what will be my next bike as the S1000 is just the bollocks.

Thought my previous Daytona 675 was good

Nick my first bit of advice is forget Rain mode and leave it in Sport. Rain is so stifled with so much lag on the throttle it doesn't give you any feel for what the engine is doing. Despite the colossal power it really is an absolute pussy cat below 9000 rpm so you can still ride around at silly speeds without venturing into the vicious end of the power but still getting a feel for the machine. Handling wise I think this bike is pretty vice free and very forgiving and neutral so you will soon get into the swing of it. The hardest bit for me was trusting the electronics which will let you get away with some hamfisted riding.

Hi everybody, thanks for all your advice and supportive comments I really do appreciate it.

Interesting about the rain mode v sports comment, I did wonder if it may teach me how to ride a bike artificially and then when I put it in sport if it may be less compassionate to the bad habits that I had picked up that the engine management system had controlled on my behalf!

Maybe just a few days in rain mode just to get the feel of the bike!

Should I stay away from the assisted gear shift for a few days too lol? - I've never used it before, can you really just upshift keeping the power on without engaging the clutch? Sounds madness and a huge amount of fun all in one ankle movement.

Nice to register on a forum and get such a supportive response.

Thanks,

N.

reddevil007 link=topic=773.msg7396#msg7396 date=1335893252 said:
Hi Nick see your Northants based. Where abouts as most of my mates are from Northampton and we are all 40 + with various 1000cc bikes and found out and about in local area.

Guarantee that once you have ridden it in any mode other than rain then you won't want to ride it in rain. Yes bike has brutal acceleration but only if you want it to. People ask me what it is like to ride and I reply " its like having a 600 size wise but can be ridden around like a twist and go scooter if required as engine is so flexible" I never feel that the bike is controlling me, it rides they same way a your mood for the day. Can't see what will be my next bike as the S1000 is just the bollocks.

Cheers, good to know, I'm based near Pitsford Water at the moment.

Nick link=topic=773.msg7405#msg7405 date=1335895443 said:

Have some nice pics of my previous bike at Pitsford ressie

Nick link=topic=773.msg7405#msg7405 date=1335895443 said:

Im based at Northampton too! Have to sort out for a rideout when it stops bloody raining!!!

Same as above.......anychance of tagging along sometime...... new to Northampton!!!

gaz3014 link=topic=773.msg7412#msg7412 date=1335902024 said:

Same as above.......anychance of tagging along sometime...... new to Northampton!!!
No problem. Pm your name and mobile number. Where in Northants you based

Heres my two pennies worth,

1. Get on bike
2. Start her up
3. Now go smash the granny outta it!

Why get to know it? Just miss the shit bits and pin it!

Doc

I'd have to say forget rain mode, in sport mode it is still a very tame ride at the lower end of the rev range and will never launch hard enough to catch you by surprise or pull your arms out the socket. Its great for slow speeds through town (although it does get very hot very quick) and picks up nicely when you start giving it the beans

Okay, thanks - I'll man up and step onto the sport mode and keep it below 9K!

It looks like if it ever stops raining there are a few Northants based riders to go out with. Happy days.

Another vote for putting it in Sport mode. I've put it in rain mode once, when it was hailing. ::)

Welcome to the forum by the way. :D

Thanks everybody.

Just taken out the 2012 model for a test ride.

(I just kept it in rain mode for the now... when I get mine 2011 bike it'll go into sport straight away)

The most fun afternoon I've had in a while.

Big grin and that clutchy, acceleratory, non depressy, 'just lift your ankle and keep the power on device is the most addictive bit of kit I've ever played with.

I'm sure I'll pick up the terminology in time.

But first I have to pay for a motorbike and finish smiling.

Back