HP4 BMW heated grips

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malic1212

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help with this. I've got a 13 plate HP4. Motorrad Tayside have told me that I can not get the BMW heated grips fitted to the bike as the wiring isn't present on earlier models. The thing that's got me stumped is the owners manual confirms it as an option and the symbol is on the dash display when the bike is setting up at turn of the key.

Can anyone confirm if BMW are correct before I buy Oxford heated grips.

I'm hoping someone can help with this. I've got a 13 plate HP4. Motorrad Tayside have told me that I can not get the BMW heated grips fitted to the bike as the wiring isn't present on earlier models. The thing that's got me stumped is the owners manual confirms it as an option and the symbol is on the dash display when the bike is setting up at turn of the key.

Can anyone confirm if BMW are correct before I buy Oxford heated grips.

Hi Davy, Mines is a June 2013 and it has heated grips, never heard of anyone not having them, My 2012 S1000rr sport also had them from new. If you fancy nipping to mine I will quite happily put them side by side and strip mine back to find the heated grip wiring, we can then see easily if yours has it. I'm fairly sure it will as I can't see BMW producing two different looms for these bikes. More cost efficient to have one loom with everything built in and not use some rather than producing looms that cannot be up graded.

You've got my number and the kettle is always on standby.

JimmyMac

If you remove the back of one of the switchgears there should be a 2 pin plug for the heated grips. I've never seen an RR without heated grips tbh.. But I'll have a look on the computer at work and see if they can be enabled on your bike.

That's my thinking. Why have different set ups. Sounds good Jimmy, just whenever your free. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll phone Glasgow motorrad today and get their thoughts on it.

Motorrad Glasgow said it will need to be plugged into a machine to see if it can be programmed on to say the bike now has heated grips. It doesn't show up on the retro fit menu though, if that makes sense.

Has it got the button on the right-hand switchgear?
Assuming you are not the first owner,perhaps previous owner fitted a quick action throttle tube and disconnected the left grip.

I'm not sure if you've since sorted this out, however I've just been through the same situation.

I bought my HP4 2nd hand from Perth, Australia to Canberra.. It was only once it arrived that I noticed the lack of heated grips (I thought they were standard but apparently a A$200 option). I can't say I was surprised though as it's twice as hot over in WA than it is on the eastern side.

ANYWAY - My dealer advised the same thing in that they couldn't be retrofitted. A little more investigating and It turns out they can - and I have! A good sign is that you have the heat indicator on the dash. A sure way to tell though is as like someone above mentioned, pull the left grip off (easier) and you should see a two prong connector inside the LHS switchgear.

What you will need: Full left heated grip, Full right heated grip, RHS switch gear with one that has the heated button (top half only needed as the bottom casing is the same).

It's as simple as doing a 1-for-1 replacement, with the only difference being you'll be connecting the two prong plug on each side. The right hand side one was a bit tricky to get the cover back on as it's a tight squeeze with the new plug / cables in there.

THEN - They won't activate (nor appear on the display) until you get it coded by a dealer. My dealer said their system didn't recognise the heated grips on the first attempt and then the update took around 45 minutes to upload.. Either way - I now have toasty warm grips.

Mine is a late 2013 HP4 and I got the grips / switch off the other s1000rr forum... Grips / switch were around $300 AU total (900 new) and coding was $70 AU.

Good luck!

Back