Track days this year ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
Any of you booking a td soon? Was going to do a brands eve to get my eye in, any dates?

Any of you booking a td soon? Was going to do a brands eve to get my eye in, any dates?

Have a check of the trackdays section further down. There's some road bike only days. I'm doing Donington May 20/21 (forget which).
Brands gets heavily over subscribed, busy track.

Booked the BMW owners club on the 8th August at Snetterton, novice group.

Booked the BMW owners club on the 8th August at Snetterton, novice group.

If it's not your first trackday,you would find it very frustrating in the novice group.
If it is your first,I would suggest you do a ?25 taster session at Snetterton with MSV(circuit owners).

Baz don't let bins see you putting that on here. Novice group is very gentle, apparently :).

I did my first proper trackday in May at Snetterton with the BMW Club in the 'cautious' group. I was mainly looking to improve my confidence and to practice some of the drills I'd learned at California Superbike School. I soon learned that there were cautious riders and then there are cautious riders (so slow I was amazed that they managed to keep the bikes upright). I found that I was much faster than a lot of the cautious group, but the only time I found it frustrating at all was when we were doing ducks and drakes and our instructor slowed down to avoid the slow group in front while I was progressively rolling on the throttle behind him. As soon as we were allowed to ride at our own pace and overtake (on the left only on the straights leaving oodles of room), I had a whale of a time leapfrogging the slower riders.

If I had been a fast rider on a slow bike, it might have been frustrating to be stuck behind slow riders on fast bikes (hold you up on the corners and then outdrag you on the straights, rinse and repeat). However, being a mediocre rider on a very fast bike, the only bikes faster than me on the straights were those carrying far more corner speed (instructors and some bloke on a cbr6).

After lunch, a large proportion of the cautious group (mainly the serious cautious ones) seemed to disappear, it felt almost as if I had the whole track to myself, with a few slow groups to blitz on the straights to remind me how well I was doing, and a few riders on far less powerful bikes reminding me that I'm still not Valentino Rossi.

For August, I've opted for the intermediate group, but I don't regret spending the day in the cautious group in May.

Back