2d Front Fork Sensor Setup Questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a straight answer:

Do I need to recalibrate the ddc after the sensor is installed?

My understanding is that the ddc only requires recalibration when the ride height is changed....

Anyone got any clever tricks on how to minimise the loss of turning radius, I'm going to try flipping the sensor...

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

You do not need to recalibrate the DDC system after fitting the 2D potentiometer. You only need to do that if making changes to front or rear preload. Do not invert the sensor as it will not function correctly. I would certainly advocate using the supplied lock stops in order to protect the sensor as ultimately you are fitting a delicate race potentiometer to a road bike.

The lock stops restrict the turning more than necessary. I thought about doing a test ride to see how the steering feels with them fitted expecting I'd not notice the difference (other than manoeuvres when parking etc I can't see it being an issue). But before I do (as the bike is in bits for the next 24 hours) I am checking out any ways to minimise the restriction.

The sensor is a measure that measures it's length via an electrical current/resistance. How would it not function correctly if I inverted it?

You can?t invert the potentiometer as the ECU is designed and programmed to read the generated electrical values in a certain way so that it interprets the suspension travel data correctly. The only way that you could potentially do it is to send the unit back to 2D requesting that they recalibrate the actual potentiometer.

I found that the reduced steering lock is not noticeable when riding (road or track); only when pushing the bike around in pit lane as the turning circle is increased.

The sensor is a measure that measures it's length via an electrical current/resistance. How would it not function correctly if I inverted it?

I emailed Alpha Racing technical. They replied this morning and confirmed the sensor can be mounted upside down.

That's quite interesting. My datalogging contact at Datron (2D's UK importer) was farily adamant that it couldn't be done for the reasons already stated.

It made complete sense to me that the sensor could be inverted, its measuring between two points, it has no way of knowing which way round it is. As long as the distance is set correctly and the ball points are in the right position its fine.

The only issue that needs thought is the wiring but that shouldn't be a problem. I have already mounted it in the 'correct' position and with some fettling of the lock stops have it where I would be happy riding it as it is without much intereference on the steering, so this is really just for future reference for someone.

First run out yesterday evening with the sensor fitted. It might be my imagination but to me it felt like it has transformed the ddc. The bike now floats (depending on the setting) over everything bad on the road surface, the front feels so much better and the front and rear seem to be in better harmony. Steering not an issue, only when manoeuvring around the garage :).

Stopped for a quick pic with Fewston reservoir in the background.

Attachments

• image-1036665031.jpg
    image-1036665031.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 44
don't know much about the 2d stuff but I love a good pic.....

Im with DL on this one, dont have a clue about the 2d as i dont even have DDC :( :( ..... but it is a fine looking bike and not a bad view.

Thanks chaps ;)

One more for prosperity...

Attachments

• image-188533834.jpg
    image-188533834.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42
Looking good Soof, lucky that you can get out as its been pouring here.
I might find out about the sensor for mine, not sure I'll get the full benefit but it does look kinda cool :tennis:

Back