New pads and Fluid

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Ryte guys, in middle of sticking in new SBS race sintered pads, I'm thinking just replacing the fluid whilst at it. The bleeding looks pretty straightforward, anything to look out for here and which fluid does anyone use.. I.. DL the manual and it says DOT 4.

I see DOT 5.1 has a fairly higher minimum boiling point than 4...

Dry boiling pointWet boiling point
DOT 3205 ?C (401 ?F)140 ?C (284 ?F)
DOT 4230 ?C (446 ?F)155 ?C (311 ?F)
DOT 5260 ?C (500 ?F)180 ?C (356 ?F)
DOT 5.1260 ?C (500 ?F)180 ?C (356 ?F)

Whats the difference other than this

Cheers

S

Last edited:
While a vehicle that uses DOT 3 may also use DOT 4 or 5.1 if the elastomers in the system accept the borate compounds that raise the boiling point,[citation needed] (a temperature upgrade) a vehicle that requires DOT 4 might boil the brake fluid if a DOT 3 (a temperature downgrade,) is used. Additionally, these polyglycol ether based fluids cannot be mixed with DOT 5.0, which is silicone based.

As of 2006, most cars produced in the U.S. use DOT 4 brake fluid.

DOT 4 it is, don't fancy any residue anywhere in the M/Cyl or lines

Last edited:
I always use castrol dot 4 motorcycle brake fluid Stuart, never tried anything else mate.

On the MOFO davy..away down to Halfords the now...I'll see what they stock..take it bleedings straightforward..only one nip per caliper...

that's the one mate , yeah bleeding straight forward , one nip per caliper , and I am always very careful when tightening them , I buggered a caliper a while back horsing up a nip

Last edited:
that's the one mate , yeah bleeding straight forward , one nip per caliper , and I am always very careful when tightening them , I buggered a caliper a while back horsing up a nip

Sorted it ... the wee support bracket for the ABS secured by the caliper bolt keeps turning when im torqueing it up... need to get a washer for it morra... im away to get ready...me n my mates going out to get drunk...cos its my birthday the day..lol

stu's phone

Stu, happy birthday. :)

That clip for the abs cable does my head in, moves and won't stay flush whatever you try and do when torquing up the bolts lol.

Stu, happy birthday. :)

That clip for the abs cable does my head in, moves and won't stay flush whatever you try and do when torquing up the bolts lol.

Cheers soof.. aye its really annoying actually it twists out of shape.. how did you resolve it..im thinking a washer..

stu's phone

Last edited:
Never resolved it, just blood and swearing. Just been fitting the 2d front fork sensor and the bottom bracket makes the abs clip redundant, can't tell you how happy it made me (small things eh?).

Never resolved it, just blood and swearing. Just been fitting the 2d front fork sensor and the bottom bracket makes the abs clip redundant, can't tell you how happy it made me (small things eh?).

Not really sure what that is.. but Im glad it made you happy..lol

stu's phone

Remember to also bleed it from the nipple on the master cylinder

Did Kevin... that washer and a wee touch of copaslip done the job soof...

stu's phone

Easiest pads Ive fitted in a long time.. monobloc calipers ... one pressure spring...Bravo Brembo ! Omfg listen to me...does that sound cheesy or what

ForumRunner_20160327_163034.jpg

ForumRunner_20160327_163045.jpg

ForumRunner_20160327_163059.jpg

stu's phone

Back