Metzeler Roadtec 01 - Tyre review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
Not too sure where to put this but I am sure if it is in the wrong place it can be moved easily enough.

Well as most of you will be aware a couple of us were recently given the chance to take on the offer of a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres for an evaluation on the S1000RR. Having had them fitted and now that I have managed to put just touching 500 miles on them so far I thought it was about time that I actually put something on here.

What I intend to do is obviously keep racking the miles up and and at various stages update this to hopefully see how they get on over the life of the tyre and to naturally see at what point I also start to notice a performance drop and where possible trying to ride the bike under varying weather conditions to see how they react.

But to start with I think it's important to point out that these tyres are replacing a set of fairly well used Pirelli Super Corsa SC tyres with the front being an SC1 and the rear being a 200/55/17 SC2 so in that sense I have for obvious reasons had to try to make sure I don't be too critical in terms of how they handle and also more importantly grip the road overall.

What I will say though is that the Super Corsas as we all know, particularly the SC's are not best suited for the road and take a bit of warming up and can be absolutely awful in the wet so naturally the Roadtec's have a massive advantage in them conditions and obviously can be pushed quite a bit harder.

The tyres supplied are 120/70/17 75W TL front and a 190/55/17 75W TL rear.

Having requested from the supplier what the suggested tyre pressures to use were I was given 36psi (2.5bar) for the front and 42psi (2.9bar) for the rear.

The tyre pressures I intend to use as a guide whilst using the tyres, specifically because whilst I appreciate that it is a manufacturer recommended pressure I have never quite got on with running pressures that high and have generally always ended up reducing the pressure until I find that the bike offers a compliant and predictable feeling that feels natural to the way I ride. Generally on other manufacturers that have suggested the same sort of pressures I have always ended up somewhere in between 32-35 front and 35-39 rear.

Now whilst these tyres are replacing a set of Super Corsas on my BMW S1000RR I have not had the bike long but am fairly comfortable with it, immediately prior to getting this bike I had been riding a couple of Aprilia RSV1000's both of which were running Metzeler tyres, one had Sportec M5's and the other had new M7RR's and my intention when having got the BMW was to remove the Super Corsas and fit a set of M7RR's.

My reasons for that were simply because the M7RR's having had just over 1000 miles on them had proven to be absolutely fantastic on the road in both wet and dry conditions and every bit as good on the track (although there was an element of movement from the front that I wasn't expecting once the tyres got pushed harder and started to feel the heat), that being said I didn't expect them to handle quite as well as Super Corsas SC's but was pleasantly surprised by them to make me want another set on my BMW.

Having agreed to take the Roadtec 01's for a review I will admit to being a little nervous about how this type of tyre was going to feel, naturally all sport bike riders want to have that full on sport bike feeling but I tend to see myself as a relatively quick rider that matches what I am doing with the conditions well and I don't often push too far past what I am comfortable with so I decided to give them a try, and given that I live in Scotland there is more chance of me riding in the wet than any other weather so knowing that I have a set of tyres on that are designed for excellent grip in wet weather has to be a bonus.

So the first 500 miles and how they have been.

Well I am not going to jump and down and rave about them just yet purely because putting a new set of tyres on always feels like throwing a new pair of slippers on to me and you rightly don't know how they are going to feel until they start wearing in under normal use. What I will say though is that they have been used on all manner of muddy, greasy, damp and salty roads from Edinburgh down to Cumbria and all over the Borders of Scotland and have so far felt particularly good.

They warm up very quickly and even with the 36/42 psi pressures they feel pretty stable (if not a little too hard, but I expected that) under both cornering and heavy braking, the U shaped profile to the tyre which is a design of pretty much all sport touring tyres gives a more neutral feel to when rolling into a corner rather than the more aggresive V profile of sports tyres and it gave a very smooth transition when throwing multiple corners together in quick succession.

Under hard acceleration I felt the higher pressures didn't allow the bike to soak up as much of the road imperfections as I had hoped for and found the bike to be quite flighty in comparison to before the tyres were changed, a pressure change and a quick tweak of the compression and rebound settings is on the cards to see how they cope will hopefully allow me to comment more on that later.

But all in all a very good and very reassuring first 500 miles, I don't doubt they will be every bit as good if not better than the M7RR's I had previously when it comes to riding in the rain (the M7RR's managed fantastically in torrential downpours of biblical proportions last year!) and I am looking forward to seeing how they perform in warmer conditions on cleaner roads where I will naturally be pushing them harder.

No real criticisms so far other than to highlight and remind others that this is a Sports touring tyre and not an out and out Supersport tyre so the handling feels very neutral and based on compliance rather than throw it on it's side and fight it out of the corner which is what I found myself wanting to do at times. But that is my issue and not the tyres! :D

But as an alternative to a supersport tyre for those that like to munch the miles and in all conditions, I think these are going to show real promise, I certainly wouldn't rule another set out but then it is very early days so I will keep an open mind.

Hopefully with another 500 miles on them I will do another update and see how they are holding up in terms of wear, although I expect with their design they will still probably be looking relatively new.

They are probably an ideal choice for the all year rider, who wants to run different summer and winter tyres.

Okay, so approximately 1200 miles in now on these tyres having covered the best part of 500 miles over the last 2 days.

Saturday was another trip to Hartside Cafe in Cumbria from Edinburgh, still particularly cold especially on the higher parts of the route with lots of damp road riding and the odd downpour which I took advantage of to see how the tyres would react. On the run down I used race mode but used slick for the run back.

Again the tyres got up to temperature very quickly as expected, I have found that these can be pushed quite hard within a couple of miles and regardless of whether it is dry, damp or wet there is a definite sure footed feeling to these when you first set off in the morning in comparison to your average sports bike tyre that you generally feel like you are tip toeing on for the first 10 minutes.

Out on the road I have been quite surprised at how much confidence they are building particularly when going from a bone dry road to a damp corner, and I have found myself rolling off far less than I would be doing if i had been on something with far less tread. In the damp there is an expected level of movement but it is manageable and on most occasions it's amounted to nothing more than a firm wriggle before the traction control did it's thing, in slick it was a slightly different story but i was hardly hanging the back out like Marc Marquez.

In the wet this tyres excels, I had no need whatsoever to drop the pace I was riding at and very soon I find myself riding on my own with the group having dropped right off the back, the wriggling that I was getting in the damp under harder acceleration now disappearing and the tyres responding well to relatively quick direction changes.

In the dry pushing to the limit of the tyre has been difficult as you would imagine on the road, but Sunday's ride from Edinburgh up to Tyndrum and then over to Oban before returning via Inverary and Crianlarich is a riders road as anyone that knows them roads will agree. A mixture of "lose your licence twice over" straights and "I wish I'd brought a Supermotard" corners that twist on for miles, it's fair to say that the few hundred miles that were ridden yesterday were more than a test for the tyres, the roads were bone dry and it was reasonably warm (that reads above freezing in Scotland still!) and everyone I was riding with were generally riding on sports or track biased tyres.

Nothing really to say other than I would have felt reasonably confident taking them on the track! Ok I wouldn't be breaking any lap records but under hard cornering with front wheel lifts and heavy braking with quick directional changes these tyres managed it all and were every bit inspiring on my S1000RR as they would be on anything else I have ridden.

One thing i did make a point of noting is that as expected they hold heat an awful lot longer than Sports tyres but far longer than I had expected, a half hour stop at the Hartside Cafe and my tyres were still vaguely warm to the touch in comparison to the stone cold sports tyres the others were using.

Conclusions over the weekend are that in the dry they work very well and are more than a match for sports tyres on the road, there will be a limit to reach but If you are looking to find it I suspect the bike will find your limit far quicker than you find the limit of the tyre in most cases, in the damp there is the expected squirming as the tyres find grip but it is manageable and certainly for me was far less concerning as when I have been on sports tyres and hit a corner only to find it's damp after having just done the last hour on dry roads. In the wet these tyres are a match for anything out there of that I have no doubt and where before I would have just looked to the heavens to have a quick moan about the rain, I instead found myself pushing the tyres to see how much feedback I could get from them and it was all good!

In terms of wear and now that they have around 1200 miles on them, most sports bike riders with close to 200bhp would now be thinking about finding the best price for their next rear tyre, the rear is showing signs of use under hard accleration but the wear is even and it's still looking like it's got another 5000 miles in it at least, the front has been to all but a couple of mm of the edge of the tyre but you would think it's just been scrubbed in.

Last edited:
Another good update Mick, more convincing evidence that the vast majority of road riders on sports bikes would be much better off fitting tyres designed for the road and not thinking they need or should have ones designed for the track..

I think we have all been guilty of throwing on the next best tyre to hit the market in the hope that they are somehow going to magically glue the bike to the road, I think what most of us need to realise and accept is that most of them tyres don't actually come into their own until they are pushed probably further than the limits of what the rider is capable of, losing traction isn't generally down to the tyre when it comes to riding on the road, it is normally down to what influence the rider has had on the bike :D

Granted there are occasions when a tyre can let go, but for the last 20 years most tyre models have been predicatable enough to at least warn you that you are getting close to that point.

Sure you can throw track scrubs on or the latest control superstock/supersport control tyre in the hope of it possibly improving your riding although I have to say if you are actually needing them to draw confidence then I would sooner spend the money on something like the California Superbike School and get some coaching on how to ride and feel what the bike is doing first and foremost as these Sports Touring tyres will do everything you ask of them short of trying to keep up with the latest track tyre on a track, even then us mere mortals will still get more than their monies worth out of a few track days running a set of these and without having to use warmers.

As a road tyre even for fast road these tyres are more than enough, however i'll hold off on a conclusion to that until the weather warms up and I start playing with tyre pressures as at the moment at 36/42 there is still a hint of them being too hard for me and it's not like the road temperature is soaring either, i suspect as the weather improves and the temperature of the roads creep up i'll be dropping these to around 33-34f & 38r which is generally where i get a good feel for everything underneath me, that being said i have dropped 2 stone since Xmas and am still losing weight steadily so that may not feel quite the same :D

Yup, great write up. I think if you have/want to ride through it all, these should be on the shopping list. In the UK absolute dry grip is kinda pointless.

Informative write up... last week I stuck a pair of M7RRs on thanks to the previous comments on the forum...

For me the M7RR's are the best all round tyres i have used if i am honest, i reckon the only difference between them and the Roadtec's are going to be the wear rate with the M7RR's being a softer tyre and designed with Sports bikes in mind rather than Sport Touring.

Mick, Stu, what PSI do you or did you run the M7's?
Just ordered a set and will be having them fitted this week when they arrive, in the hope of having some decent weather to test them out.

Maz, I never ran the M7RR's on my RR, I had Supercorsas on prior to the Roadtec 01's.

However I did run them on my Aprilia and used 33/36 on that :)

Mick, Stu, what PSI do you or did you run the M7's?
Just ordered a set and will be having them fitted this week when they arrive, in the hope of having some decent weather to test them out.

Maz Ive sat on mine at 36/42 since fitted..mind ive been away and done **** all really since ive been home as the weathers been totally shite..ill probably mess about between 2-6 psi see how it feels, the fronts always a teller for me.. my blades were quite succeptible at the front I could tell right away if it was needing a feed.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll give that a go the since you're ones are on the s1k. Is that the manufacture advisory PSI?

Back