BvG's HP4 Rebuild

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacRR

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you follow Baron von Grumbles antics on You Tube but in case you don't he's just (well Bahnstormer have) completed a rebuild of a crashed HP4 he bought. I don't know how or even if I can put a link up but if you go onto You Tube there's 2 videos, one from a few weeks ago giving the story of the bike and one he's just posted today showing the rebuild, also a pretty smart looking HP4 track bike appears near the end too...

Cool, been waiting for the video...will watch tonight

- Sent from Mobile Device

I don't know how many of you follow Baron von Grumbles antics on You Tube but in case you don't he's just (well Bahnstormer have) completed a rebuild of a crashed HP4 he bought. I don't know how or even if I can put a link up but if you go onto You Tube there's 2 videos, one from a few weeks ago giving the story of the bike and one he's just posted today showing the rebuild, also a pretty smart looking HP4 track bike appears near the end too...

The other bike is a 2015-16 S1000RR If you look at 9.19 you can see the red clocks and more telling the cruise control switches, I really need to get out more.

JimmyMac

I wonder how much the total cost was to get it back on the road ?

Steve I did a very similar rebuild last winter, let me tell you, it cost more than I sold it for but the satisfaction was well worth it.

Crashed on the Mountain on the IOM

DAY 1 at Casa De Jimmy

Hanging around waiting on new swing arm arriving

Sitting next to mine

Getting there

Taa Daa all done.

Straining at the leash!!

I bought it for ?9600 and spent in total around ?17000 bringing that bike back to its best, I used ALL brand new parts and never scrimped on anything. I sold it to a really nice guy who travelled up from the South of England and he was delighted. I lost well over ?3k but had a great time doing it up, so satisfying. I would have hated for the bike to get broken up into parts and sold off, maybe I'm too soft in the head?
However, tinkering with bikes and stuff allows me to meet the nicest of people. Eh Steve?

Hope your loving your new bike.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I'm impressed Jimmy, taking a bike, and particularly an HP4, back to mint standard appearance is no cheap or easy task. In his earlier vid., BvG says he bought the bike for ?6k and to keep costs down was going to leave some of the cosmetic damage but also so he could really 'use' it on road and track and not just have it as an ornament to cherish. It'll be interesting to see how the bike progresses. Oh and thanks for pointing out my lack of attention to detail on the track bike!!

Thanks for sharing your bike build Jimmy.
I can imagine the pleasure you had building it back up and finally riding it.

great pics and write up Jimmy, tinkering with bikes is one of life's littel joys, it's my happy place lol, did you know the fella who binned it?

great pics and write up Jimmy, tinkering with bikes is one of life's littel joys, it's my happy place lol, did you know the fella who binned it?

No David, I got his number from his details on the V5, he owned a garage in SE England, I phoned him once to let him know about his bike but it was one of his mechanics that said he would get him to phone me, but he never did.

JimmyMac

Thanks for sharing your bike build Jimmy.
I can imagine the pleasure you had building it back up and finally riding it.

Cheers Loupe, I actually never rode it. It was too much like brand new, I didn't want dirt on the fairings, the first person to ride it was a BMW Tech, when I finished it I gave it to them for a full health check and MOT. The insurance companies insist on an MOT on a cat C bike even if less than 3 years old.
Needless to say it passed it all with flying colours

JimmyMac

I'm wondering what my '15RR would look like with an HP4 paintjob and carbon, hmmm...

Cheers Loupe, I actually never rode it. It was too much like brand new, I didn't want dirt on the fairings, the first person to ride it was a BMW Tech, when I finished it I gave it to them for a full health check and MOT. The insurance companies insist on an MOT on a cat C bike even if less than 3 years old.
Needless to say it passed it all with flying colours

JimmyMac
Was your heart in your mouth when it went on its test ride?!
I would have to ride it if I'd done all the work you did, nice work though Jimmy.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a good HP4 Carbon MacRR, but you could really let your imagination go wild with designs, my head is too full of ideas for one life, so Im hoping to come back.

The HP4 wasn't the fastest or most expensive machine I have tinkered with, here is a picture from back in the day of yours truly fixing a Jaguar strike aircraft. I think that is where my attention to detail was honed.

Canny believe I got in those overalls. Haha

JimmyMac

Great pic! Is this why you have long hair now, years of short back and sides??

Looks like an RAF recruitment pic Jimmy, very dapper, I sensed your mechanical knowledge had been professionally honed!!

Last edited:
Loupe and MacRR, you are both spot on. Ten years in the Police at the back of the RAF meant no long hair for me for ages, but its back with vengeance now.

That photo was used as recruitment poster back in the 80's, I had returned to camp on the Monday morning with "beans on toast perm" so they made me pose for the papers, two hours later my Corporal nabbed me and marched me to the barbers for a no.2 all over. He was a twat and a half. Found out a few years ago he had been locked up for sex crimes, probably why he had a power craving over young Apprentices.

JimmyMac

Back