Aim Solo DL & SmartyCam GP HD Bundle - Group Buy Anyone?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I am probably going to be buying the Aim Solo DL Laptimer & SmartyCam GP HD. I have been recommended the Aim products by a number of trackday and racer folks.

Having spoken to Steve at Aim he is going to be offering these soon as a bundle for ?1200 which includes the canbus cable, connectors, DL mount.

You can see the product info on here:

http://www.aimshop.co.uk/collection...aim-smartycam-gp-hd-kart-racing-bullet-camera

http://www.aimshop.co.uk/collection...lo-dl-plug-play-kit-bmw-s1000rr-hp4-2013-2014

They also do the kit for the 2015+ bikes.

Any interest in a group buy (final price would obviously be lower than above but subject to negotiation) ?

Holy moly...that's a big number.

Q1. Does the kit need a GPS sensor? For the laptiming. Overlay. How does the laptiming work without GPS? (There's no mention of GPS that I can see).
Q2. There are 3 ports on the SmartyCam unit. What can they be used for? I assume 1 is a camera, 2 is the laptimer, 3 goes to the bike with a canbus connector on the end?
Q3. How is it powered?
Q4. If I want 2 camera's, GPS, Laptiming and a connection to the bike, how can that be achieved? (I understand that'd not the GB kit, but am interested all the same).

Holy moly...that's a big number.

Q1. Does the kit need a GPS sensor? For the laptiming. Overlay. How does the laptiming work without GPS? (There's no mention of GPS that I can see).

No. Built in :) see http://aimsports.com/products/solo/

Q2. There are 3 ports on the SmartyCam unit. What can they be used for? I assume 1 is a camera, 2 is the laptimer, 3 goes to the bike with a canbus connector on the end?

Err, dont know that one. The smarty cam connects to the solo dl unit. Edit - there is also the connection to the 'live' control box so you can see what you are recording in real time.

Q3. How is it powered?

Solo dl plugs into the canbus plug behind your horn for power and ecu readings, the cam plugs into the solo dl, so everything is powered off the canbus single socket.

Q4. If I want 2 camera's, GPS, Laptiming and a connection to the bike, how can that be achieved? (I understand that'd not the GB kit, but am interested all the same).

And you're complaining its expensive!!! It has the gps and laptiming auto built in along with track info and the cam will also smart record (I believe) so everything is sorted apart from your second camera, but I expect they know how to do that too.

Last edited:
Cool - sounds good. Seriously trick kit.
Look forward to seeing it. But I can't justify it at the moment, I'm not complaining at the price just can't go for it right now. I'd want front and rear if I was doing it...but I could get the extra's outside of a GB.

The only thing holding me back for the moment is figuring out how easy / quick it will be to fit and remove the kit from the bike for riding to and from trackdays - can't leave it all on the bike in public places IMO.

The only thing holding me back for the moment is figuring out how easy / quick it will be to fit and remove the kit from the bike for riding to and from trackdays - can't leave it all on the bike in public places IMO.

I'd kinda assumed the smartycam bit went under a cover somewhere - just leaving the timer and camera exposed...is that not right?

Storage is always an issue...and Velcro points on the tank would look a bit naff.

the dl connects to the diagnostic/alarm plug under the tail unit as far as i'm aware,does on the 2014 at least,then mounts onto the headstock,it's easy to remove the unit,leaving the mount in place.

they are awesome bits of kit if you like reading data,it logs everything your ECU does,which can then be looked at later once downloaded,also,the data can then be overlayed onto your video which is pretty cool aswell.

Back