Trackday crash bungs - yes/no?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 445

Reaction score
ive never run crash bungs on track - my feeling is if you're going down the road your side panels are fooked any how - and ive seen them dig in when tarmac meets grass/katty-litter.

Without wishing to start an endless poll, who can can give a convincing argument these 'aren't going to get snagged and help prevent any signifcant daamge?

BTW: i have protection on engine casings - thats a no-brainer!
nvAJC6XdjTBnZr9Y1kZE18_jQ016kq4PdllsxfvqTL7BAAFT-rtdnORZHZGnl9wjFcfHcY-C4q5HOJUzLQI85AC24gZOcwfyt4xTQLq8Jbzlcm6JPx3RW-EVEeUXEWiUkFtgvbIdPMujMr0oLzUaf3F6J75xZ3kAOv2DxAhD9K6F21aeE-Np9AvUoMk5cTqKnRiPcfJACL6jLjqY5AD3Pz6JOVk8jIpDAQXQsE-g30bNzNXStj_PfSFsyt0-yO2ND4gApWEbLXZ7CQ-TOdDsrttVpsqwMsGx4lTxIWTB6ScTn50OpNvyxxL_rR-mO06QUp10t8ofNibRnva7ZkgwOVqUfL-LlvFISIcGnJw1KqiABs7SAw310MIMzJQqNc3KpkFuFFCNPxEyLsztdDO1XgkYJ9rVH0hCvezFoB51h5xDkpVHkig-c_qZ3z_-Yd8uFnkUWZgy2hWJcJqNv8_u8tHyy1K2OqBIfIZ1RbjYqAY38_jzpCd3u2K2n1hKMvopVgIU9d3EGcKa4u7swDLg7I-YL6CUnYmUHxfEd3foGs11h1gPtXpmtDz_MUzwc_DuvnJi=w2192-h1234-no

Alex posted about baron von grumble purchasing a crashed hp4 with crash bungs fitted. The panels looked to be saved by the protection. I understand the argument about digging in and flipping but not convinced that you are better off without, totally depends on circumstances so there's never going to be a defo answer.

Personally I think as long as your engine is protected that is the main thing. I do also agree with soofsayer.

You've got more bottle than me taking an awsome looking bike like that on the track when you also use on the road.

Crash Protectors

Every crash is different so what has worked for one individual may not work for another. Most just fit them to mitigate against the worst of any potential damage; mainly to the frame and engine. If they save anything else consider that to be a bonus. I generally fit them to all my road and race bikes and from experience they have saved me from considerable expense over the years. In my opinion any crash protection you add is worthwhile simply to lower the cost of putting things right in the event of an 'off.'

Thanks guys - i like the thought that at least you're attempting to minimise any damage. I guess some 'offs' could even avoid damage if the suckers are on.

Scares me thinking about any bill i could run up. But my approach is not to be too driven by improving lap times and trading places with others who are at similar pace. The bike is after all my road bike that was built for track, and i intend to enjoy on tracks, albeit just a tad restrained!!

Anybody got any spare mushrooms ;)

Bubba, i understand your reservation mate. But if you own one of these you've got to get some track time in during the year to appreciate its capabilities mate. You dont have to run in fast group, just get busy finding your limits, the bike's limits and be prepared not to step over ANY limits ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - just keep telling yourself to bring it home! [in same condition you left with]

Did a track night last year at Knockhill run by Ducati Glasgow. It was brilliant, weather was superb and no incidents/accidents all night. Bike was amazing and let's you see what they are capable of. I never raced anyone or passed anyone either , in fact I think everyone passed me at one point over the evening. I ride quick on the road but these riders were REALLY quick. I've got crash bungs , engine sliders, fork sliders and bobbins and wouldn't have a bike without them. On a track ride at you're own pace and never worry about what anybody else is doing and you'll have a blast.

personally I have always put them on my bikes , like beavis I have done some ducati glasgow track nights quite a few actually, last one I did last year I crashed.... lost the front about 58mph the crash bung took the brunt not one painted panel was damaged . pics of the damage are in the Showroom section of the forum under 2011 yellow . my bike is a full road bike that gets used daily , as Rys1000rr says all crashes are different it's just your Donald duck.

the R+G bullet sliders are perfect for the bm,the stick out just far enough to protect the fairings,but not so far as to dig into the soft ground and cause a flip.this is from experience unfortunatley...

Back