Forks question?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyMac

Reaction score
Hiya, this maybe a daft question but I would appreciate someones knowledge on this.

I have given my bike a good look over and I am getting small chips etc sorted on the paintwork as I like to have it looking spotless.

I have however noticed that on the left fork (Gold anodised sleeve only) I have not washed the cleaning fluid off quickly enough at some point this year and it has left little spots where the anodising has dulled, the fork itself is in perfect working order but the cosmetics are annoying me.

Can I loosen the top and bottom yoke and spin the gold sleeve around so that the dulled parts are hidden? I own a building company and when we roughcast an old house I normally spin the downpipes 180 degrees so that the sun fading on the plastic is concealed. So I thought this might be the same.

I contacted BMW yesterday and they told me the gold sleeve only is ?397 plus removing and fitting.

My Dad laughed and said I have OC/DC and to leave it. Yes he said OC/DC not a typo.

Any thoughts would be gratefully listened to.

JimmyMac

Hi JimmyMac. I did just this with my friends bike a couple of years ago. It was a new Honda VFR 1200 that had incurred some damage to the gold finish at the area around the dust/oil seal at the bottom of the tube, due to it striking his newly installed tax disc holder mounted somewhere around the caliper/mudguard. I slackened everything off and just turned it so the damaged bit was hidden away. Worked a treat. Of course his bike didn't have DDC so perhaps someone can advise about any implications in that direction, though I think you should be OK with it. Hope this helps.....

Front Forks

The only way to do it properly is to remove the fork leg and disassemble it thereby allowing you to freely rotate the fork sleeve. By simply slackening off and twisting the fork tube through the yokes you risk fork misalignment and causing issues with the fork seals.

Wouldnt the break calipers be facing the wrong way lol

Hi they are upside down forks so won't affect the brakes, if you slacken of the top yoke and bottom yoke bolts along with the handlebar clip on bolt it should rotate if it's the rh fork with out the electrical connector it won't matter if it's got the electrical wire just watch the routing as it twists but it should be fine, double check the projection of the fork through the top yoke so that it matches the one you haven't touched, I have done this on aprillias with ohlins forks with no problem. Ideally you want the forks off the floor so that they are fully extended. There is nothing in the DDC fork that is going to be affected by doing it

I've yet to see a fork stanchion that can't be rotated in the fork tube but does the DDC and the way it's wired up mean that they don't rotate as normal then?

I can imagine that just trying to twist the forks will obviously wind the wiring up at the top of the fork leg though.

DDC Fork Leg

The DDC fork leg is easy to disconnect and plugs in near the front servo motor.

Back