Biker Down course (first on the scene)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanna

Reaction score
The Ashford Fire Brigade run a free Biker Down course for bikers, by bikers.

It's two or three hours on a weekday evening and is specifically on how to manage a bike crash scene and administer immediate aid. I went on the first course they ran some time ago and it was fantastic. Since then they have continued to develop and run the course and it's gaining more and more popularity.

Would you guys be interested in attending a course? If there are enough of you I should be able to get a date set up just for the forum. I know it's a bit of a trek for some people but it really is worth it.

I hope I'll never need to use what I learnt but I'm happier knowing that I've got the basic fundamentals.

Thoughts?

Right, got this from Jim (the guy who runs the course)... it's run bi-monthly and if there are enough of us we can pick our own date, not weekends though.

Biker Down, Biker In Attendance!

The Fire Bike Team at KFRS has developed a new strategy which we are now rolling out to Bikers across the counties of Kent, Sussex and Essex. Read on for more information on the reasoning behind it and the format.

Many bikers ride in groups or pairs and it is often the case that when one is involved in an accident the first person in attendance will often be a fellow biker, the care of a downed rider is uppermost in rider’s minds and many clubs and groups often discuss the need for the training of riders in how to deal with a crashed biker. As you are probably aware injured motorcyclists need to be dealt with in a specific manner by a First Aider due to the mechanics of the type of injuries possibly incurred and the sensitive issue surrounding helmet removal from injured bikers.

This FREE course is conducted at Ashford Fire Station, titled ‘Biker Down, Biker in Attendance’, it is essentially a ‘First Aid for Bikers Course’, but includes three modules:

1. INCIDENT SCENE MANAGEMENT

A presentation from a Fire Bike Team member, on scene management and personal safety for a biker happening upon an RTC involving a motorcyclist, this covers the individuals initial considerations including their own DRA to assess the most appropriate action to take in order to protect themselves and other road users at the scene, an order of actions and instruction on management of resources available (i.e. other witnesses). Information they should gather to assist attending Emergency Service Personnel and possible legal obligations.

2. CASUALTY CARE

This module is delivered by qualified Life Support Instructors, from KFRS with Motorcycle First Aid specific, expertise, covering; Trauma and mechanism of injury, Snatch rescues, why when and how, basic life support, CPR, managing spinal injuries and crash helmet removal, when and how.

3. THE SCIENCE OF BEING SEEN

To end the session the attendees receive instruction and advice on Conspicuity. The presentation is a fascinating insight into some of the myths about Hi Viz, does it really work and why can’t some drivers see us?

Module 3 is delivered by Kevin Williams of Survival Skills Motorcycle Training, who is an Advanced Instructor and widely experienced in both riding and lecturing, a recognised Motorcycling Author and Media Columnist, he regularly leads parties of bikers both in this country and abroad instructing in Advanced Riding and Advanced Theory.

Our aim is to offer this course to all bikers. We feel this will prove to be a highly valued service within our minority group of road users, who make up the highest casualty rates. Find out more on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/kentfirebike or e-mail me at [email protected]

Jim Sanderson

Crew Manager, Fire Bike Team, Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

Back