Road to Track fairings

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregbo

Reaction score
Hello,

Just bought my bike and want to ride it on the road and track.

Will buy a front/nose fairing, side panels and lower fairing to change over when I go to a track.

Questions
How long does it take to change the front fairings? Is it quick to take the front off complete with lights?

Do I need any other front bracket to support a race nose?

I have seen some good deals on Ilmberger front race fairings. Will they fit with the std HP4 Akra with cat and can I keep the side stand? I don't mind a bit of cutting....​

Cheers

Greg

Difficult question to answer.

It doesn't take long if you know how to do it, it takes longer if you don't. First time I did it it took about 3 hrs, I can now do it in about 45mins (inc seat and tank covers).
If you remove the bottom and sides of the fairing, plus the plastic bit around the radiator and the mirrors it's only 2 electrical plugs and I think 4 bolts to remove the nose in 1 piece (inc lights), it might only be 2 bolts.
I'm not sure if you will need another front bracket but you can get a race 1 for about ?80. Only 4 bolts, 1 clip and 2 connectors from dash to replace it.

Imberger is generally expensive, for race fairings I would recommend Alpha but these are also pretty expensive or Cruciata which re much better value (in my opinion), I have used both and they fit very well.

Thank you Niven,

Ok it should be a quick job then as I will keep the original seat for track days and tank cover etc.

I will look at Alpha also however there are some interesting deals on Ilmberger race fairings.

Can I keep the sidestand with Alpha fairings?

Greg

once you have stripped it once it's a pretty quick process, as said take the sides and lower fairing off in one piece, once you take the mirrors off its 4 bolts to take the front unit off, you will get a fault light on dash for lights being unplugged, and obviously you will have to do something with the side stand switch, I was looking at these sbk moto works stuff last year! think I got a price of 850USD plus shipping then prob have some duty and tax to pay on it!

Not to worry about the side stand. If you wish to keep it just alter the lower a bit with your mighty Dremel. If you would like a pic of the "after" with Armour Bodies race fairings just send me a pm.

Thanks guys

Going to order the fairings, may go with Carbonin as the price seems interesting and will Dremel where necessary for the side stand!

How did the carbonin work for you ? I have tried to fit on my HP4 some second hand fairings that were used on a 2011 s1000rr...and it just did not work. Simply, the front fairing could not properly accommodate the DDC computer properly...and so I could not place the fairing the right way, it was touching the steering damper, the cooling tank, the levers etc...compared it to the factory from fairing and here you go...the base plate of the factory one is lower to accommodate the DDC computer, and there is a wider open space for the cooling tank...
Thanks for your feedback !

From what I know there were some changes from the 2010-11 model to the 2012 and newer, so it's not a big surprise that there are some fitment issues. Especially when going back and forth from road fairings you would be reluctant to make a lot of changes to accomodate the race stuff. This is supposed to be a simple process.

2010 to 2014 are visual changes (re bodywork) all race fairings should fit each bike (not sure about the HP4). I have a 2012 which has had 2010and 2012 fairings on it., with and without issues. Alpha and Cruciata fit well.

There are race fairings that fit and race fairings that don't, it's not due to model changes it's down to Race fairing quality, there's a lot of crap out there.

Davy

Have ordered the Ilmberger fairings (race), front, sides and belly pan.

Should be here next weekend. Will post a piccy when fitted.

First ride in 5 weeks at Paul Ricard track :scooter: , then Aragon April end.

Also just booked Magny Cours and Le Mans for the summer :friendly_wink: .

Really need to run my bike in and get the first service done.....

Hi Guys

Update

First service done and decat pipe fitted, bought it second hand for 200 euros and its spot on.

d1ab10921ce0dd611862cb1b4f95b9f0_zpsbe53af2e.jpg

Received the Ilmberger fairings

74e2712aa8011b82cd01ef5249d0a9cc_zps3764f573.jpg

First impressions good but I have used them before on my old ducatis.

Stripped the lower and side fairings as will leave the lights on next week and maybe for the first trackday in 2 weeks.

5df86a8d02b189f7b9c37b034de84bed_zps09846476.jpg

Only need a few adjustments to fit but are a little tight in some places and are rubbing the water pump so will need to attack with the Dremel soon :pirate:.....

a1eae1379f36d62baf8851ba90985a82_zps13d065a1.jpg

8010f30c7d80c62ff902a7a7bddda1e7_zpsc9042f0a.jpg

Will also fit the Starlane in the week

462354e330dcafc7d3c4e9f359bfa970_zpsec779333.jpg

Have the clips for the exhaust gaurd coming from Scott in the US.

Post some more pics when finished

Cheer

Greg

That's a nice garage setup you have there gregbo.

I am curious why are you swapping a carbon belly pan for another carbon belly pan to go on track (I thought they would be identical as both are from Ilmberger)?

Thanks

The original carbon lower fairing is listed at 2200 € ! I paid 1090€ for bellypan, sides panels, nose and fitting kit all delivered.

I can ride without worrying too much if I slide off......!

Couple more pics if you like the garage.

photo-11_zps5c09d5af.jpg

photo-10_zpscd22e8e4.jpg

Very nice. What are those other bikes? I have garage envy at the moment, cramped conditions and no space for a bike lift yet, it'll change.

I get what you say about the fairing. I have taken the view that if I come off the whole lot is going to be written off, so I take it a little easy, Rossi is safe for now:). I only have time for a few trackdays a year, I think I will make the hp4 just for the track in a few years when I have more time to play (and a new garage).

I considered riding with the original fairings but there is so much to damage when you slide off that I aired on the side if caution and bought the fairings. I don't ride alot on track but even less on the road! This year booked already 7 days on track.

The other bikes are
KTM RC8 TRACK, Proper race bike but sold to buy the BMW.
Yamaha TZ350, 1980 race bike.
Aprilia RS250, fun on small tracks, sold it also to a mate that will race it this year in the French classic championship.
RD350 LC race bike, also sold it back to another mate and it will be racing in the French championship this year.
i had too many bikes (8 at one point) and now have kept only a few that I ride often.

Gregbo

Back