Hi from Bike magazine, and anyone care to chat about their bike?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SimonH

Hi, my name is Simon H and I write for Bike magazine. A thousand apologies for gatecrashing your forum with a request from 'old-school' print media (and before you say it, this IS research!)... but I asked permission and blame Turtle because he said it was okay!...

Firstly, congratulations on purchasing the finest motorcycle of the last 5 years (well, the K1300S runs it close...)... good choice.

I'm writing a piece on the 2012 S1000RR and I want to get some background on what the bike has meant in the two years since it was launched.

Before I ask the question, would you indulge me giving some context; stop me if I'm boring you! [unsubscribe] :)

I'm of the opinion that although, in technical terms, the original S1000RR was a step forward, it's a step that someone else would've taken anyway. Far more significant, I think, is the cultural impact of the bike, particularly in the following:

Riding style – traction control should, in theory, follow a well-establish trend of track-to-road tech transfer; eg radial slicks in racing, in part, gave Kenny Roberts the chance to adapt his riding style to corner faster - he didn't invent knee down, but he was the first to work out the physics. Then we got radials on the road et voila, knee-sliding became fashionable. Technology transfer meant we could emulate the racers.

With the S1000RR, traction control should, it follows, let us all pretend to be Casey Stoner/Vale/Pedrosa, either on track or, heaven forbid, on the road, and ride around sideways out of every corner.

Now, I had an S1000RR for a year and while it gave me confidence to push harder, I wouldn't say I habitually dipped into TC on every turn. So the question - finally - is:

Has, and if so how has, the S1000RR changed the way you ride? (and if you could reference your riding 'style' and your bike history, that would help!)

Has it made you faster, safer, more confident, no difference, slower?

Also –just one more! –if anyone on here knows anyone who has bought, and then sold, an S1000RR, can you ask them why? Or put them in touch with me at [email protected]

Mega thanks, apologies for interrupting, I'll get me coat (because I'm about to leave to ride the new bike in Spain, ner ya boo, tough job etc).

Simon H
Bike

I think its a bit of an unknown art at the moment.

I have ridden bikes since i was 16 and tried different machines, scooters - crossers - commuters - naked sports tourers - super sports - 2 strokes - and sports bikes. For me the S1000RR and the other sports bikes with TC are just the next step along. In 5 years time everyone will have got used to it and there wont be a sports bike out there without electronics.

If i'd known nothing but bikes with electronic aids i think it would be harder to then ride a bike (and stay on) without them, where as i find it hard to turn my brain off and have faith in the bikes electronics when every part of my body says close the throttle if you lose grip.

I had a 2005 Yamaha R1 before the BMW the thing was so well setup and fueled that I could ride it in my sleep, I was around 5 seconds (over a 1min 50 lap) a lap faster, I've only done around 1800 miles (and 2 trackdays) on the S1000RR so im not 100% settled yet but I think if the bike did'nt have the aids I would be able to ride it faster and be able to get it setup how i want it.

Hello Simon

let me start by putting something to bed straight away. I didn't buy the S1000RR because it had traction control in fact this came way down my list of criteria. I was looking for a bike to replace my ZZR1400 a good machine but I wanted something for trackdays. I knew it had to be a 1000 just because I was used to the speed of the 14. So the first box that had to be ticked was comfort. This soon ruled out most makes and left just the Fire Blade, GSXR and the S1000RR. Both bikes for me (I'm 6ft 2) fitted like gloves. Next is quality of finish and this quickly knocked the GSXR out of the running. I knew the two remaining bikes were well matched handling wise and I ended up settling for the BMW because of the better dealer service. I have not been disappointed with the BMW at all and it lives up to its hype. As to the traction control I can say it has not changed the way I ride in the slightest and I think I would have bought it with out the option. I think if you look deeper in to the reason why people go for the S1000 over other makes you might find similiar stories. You just have to look at success of the GS to get an understanding why they sell by the bucket load when cheaper equally competent machines exist. It's an ownership thing.

Greg

Simon,

First of all I have you particularly to thank for putting the thought of buying one into my head! The Bugatti test really got me thinking and when I saw the motorsport colours in the flesh then it was a done deal.

To answer the Q- TC hasn't changed the way i ride at all. It maybe gives me a sense of reassurance In the same way abs does but tbh I still approach and exit the corners I've been riding in the same manner I always have. The roads are dangerous enough without using them as a testbed for new electronic trickery.
I've been riding for over 20 yrs and wd classify myself as a smooth and swift road rider. So in conclusion TC is a big reassurance but on the roads more something to win blagging rights down the pub in rather than an outright defining feature which a lot of journos seem to ignore when they split bikes on the finer nuances of each ones TC. Not terrible realistic IMHO.

Trev

WHy did I buy the bike? Well when I saw it at the bike show at the NEC I turned round to my mate and said I going to get one of those, just off the looks. New nothing about it really. Just over 12 months later I bought one.
Nothing to do with the TC. To be honest I'm not sure I can bring myself to trust it, so it has not affected the way I ride at all. I look at it as a bit of extra safety that if I do get things wrong it MAY save me.
As for the other electronic trickery (the ABS) I think that is more important, but still dont believe that it has changed my riding. However it did make me miss the Knickerbrook chicane at Oulton Park, as when it kicked in it felt like my brakes were released and I decided safety was the best policy and went straight on :/.

definitely faster and smoother. it's ace. im more confident and can handle it better than the previous bike.

i've gone from a newbie on a Z750 - which scared the life outta me with budget suspension, everyday i got home it was a miracle.
cbr600rr - cracking bike, improved my riding loads. R1 - mental, was ace but i got a bit silly on it and whilst it was in being fixed BMW gave me an s1000rr and a k13s for a month basically. i love the quality but thought the s1rr was boring (and the k13s not enough excitment). 6mths later and i was starting to think i wanted the s1rr.

i swapped after a phonecall from bmw telling me they had something special in for me.

Thank you for replying, and yes, there's certainly a lot more to the bike than its TC. But it's that aspect - does TC change people's riding? - that I was interested in specifically, just for a comment piece on the first S1000RR's legacy. For me, the real significance of the bike is how, combined with the GS, Triumphs and Ducatis, the European manufacturers now sell more bikes over 125cc in the UK than the Japanese. This is the first time since the 70s. It's what the bike signifies, not so much the bike itself.

But please, keep the comments coming! Anyone else - has the S1000RR's TC changed the way you ride?

I didn't buy the bike for the TC,but I will admit,it's made me a faster rider! It gives me that added safety net,also the ABS saved my arse last year big time!
But overall,this is such a fantastic machine,looks,build you name it,the s1000rr has it all!

SimonH link=topic=506.msg4842#msg4842 date=1330191690 said:
Thank you for replying, and yes, there's certainly a lot more to the bike than its TC. But it's that aspect - does TC change people's riding? - that I was interested in specifically, just for a comment piece on the first S1000RR's legacy. For me, the real significance of the bike is how, combined with the GS, Triumphs and Ducatis, the European manufacturers now sell more bikes over 125cc in the UK than the Japanese. This is the first time since the 70s. It's what the bike signifies, not so much the bike itself.

But please, keep the comments coming! Anyone else - has the S1000RR's TC changed the way you ride?

Yes... the R1 on wet grids and a handful of throttle whilst over taking was enough to make the car driver stop and my mate to catch me up and check i was all right - talk about skippy the frickin bush kangeroo... :eek: the s1rr not had a bit of bother.

Simon I think you are asking if we suddenly started riding like knobs just because we bought a bike that happens to have this nanny device fitted. Its like asking did we suddenly start braking later just because ABS was invented.

unionjack link=topic=506.msg4848#msg4848 date=1330193860 said:
Simon I think you are asking if we suddenly started riding like knobs just because we bought a bike that happens to have this nanny device fitted. Its like asking did we suddenly start braking later just because ABS was invented.
I didnt see it like that,but I see alot of people moan about TC,saying its not like riding a bike anymore,well they are wrong! Turn it off if you don't like it,but remember bikes are getting faster now 200bhp +,so having this safety net is all good. Just look at the Moto Gp riders,they have all there gizmos on lol
So the point I'm making is,TC won't make you a better rider,but it sure does help! And I've been riding bikes since I was a boy,and I'd never buy a bike now without any of these so called nanny devices lol

Knowing the bike has traction control made me relax on the bike. my first time out on it i was riding faster and smoother than i have on any other bike. the second time on it i was off the road for 2 months for speeding... :'(

Vin you should have used that in your defence, 'Ma Lud it was the Traction Control what did it.'

stupid question.
why would it change the way we ride?
most cars have tc but we're not all diving like knobs are we!
tc is just an evolution like disc brakes or fuel injection.there's no reason it would make us ride differently to before.
motorcycle history is littered with these improvements that offer an advantage from one manufacurer to another.as someone said above,in 5-8 years time all manufacturers will offer it.
the truth is,we would have brought the beamer even if it didnt have tc.
it's a non story for me.

interesting question

I went from a 98 R1 that was very unforgiving but great fun , to a KTM superduke that had real knack of flying through the twisties and would spit you off in an instant.You had to treat it with respect.
the day i tested the S my mate had an 1198S demo , so we had a swap of bikes , and i loved the S so much i went right back and bought it.The ducati felt to uncompromising in comparison and it was easier to go faster on the beemer without reaching my limits
First few months were spent opening the bike up cranked over and knowing it would take you as fast as i liked , it felt like i was cheating , and you kind of knew you were sneakily being de skilled.
When i took it on track I found the TC to be a bit of a ballache , I was trying to get my suspension set up and the TC wasn't subtle enough so the bike was twitchy on corner exit
If you turn it of its all good but its hard to ignore the donkeys you have at the back wheel.
I sometimes ride my sons R6 which is also nuts but you miss all of the gadgets and have to conciously remember you dont have the electrickery , I thought about that the first day i had the bike as while you focus on riding the gadgets dont take long to be part of your subconcious.
I rode 2500 miles in a week to Aragon last year and am going to Monza in a few months and over distance the bike is sweet , the fact that it is totally fucking insanely fast and revs like a 600 soon eats up the miles and i have to say I still love it , 18 months down the line.
PS
the gadgets did swing my decision
Tc , QS , ABS , I was going to buy an RC8R or an 1198

The S1R has changed by riding by virtue of being a damn good ride as opposed to any of the electrics. It was the first litre bike I test rode and within half an hour even my riding buddy noticed a difference in my riding... after four hours it was like I was a totally different rider.

The gadgets/electronics didn't really enter my mind - it was the bike itself that made the difference.

For note, my last bike was a Hayabusa. Part of the difference in my riding could be accounted to the total change in bike style (at 5'6" and 10st the 'busa is a lot of bike for me) but I also rode a number of other litre bikes and they didn't have anywhere near as much impact on my riding.

I've done about 600-700 miles on the S1R now and am curious to see if the electronics sneak into my psyche as I get more used to it and my riding changes... possibly, probably, maybe. But then I intend to play about with different settings and take it on the track so I hopefully won't rely on them. That's the theory anyway.

Oh, and it also looks the dog's b*llocks! ;D

Being as I was new to sport bike riding I didn't see the harm in getting a bike that had safety aids to help out. You never know when that "oh shit!" pucker factor could occur and having those aids to help you out would be a plus. Plus it looked total tits and had the horse power to push you along. Being that I'm in the US military I didn't get a chance to test ride one since BMW UK won't insure me on a test ride, what eva! So I flew down to Germany and bought a US spec bike and rode it back to England.

As far as changing my riding habits, don't think it has considering I've only had the TC kick on one time on the track.

I know BMW US used the safety aids as a selling point to the military members in the states, usually throwing that option in for free when they have sales.

How funny a writer from a magazine puts on a post then everyone becomes a biking coloumist! I've never seen replies so long.

I reckon there trying to impress. Lol ;)

Back