Breakdown cover

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a car and two bikes, and I'm trying to decide how to deal with (UK & Euro) breakdown cover - all in one policy, or individually... Thought I'd ask for some perspectives.

Traditionally I have had to have separate breakdown cover for them, largely driven by both bikes being in warranty, and therefore having the BMW cover for each bike and AA/RAC for the car. I'm not sure I want to extend the warranties on either bike, but I am considering the breakdown cover which can be bought separately. I have found BMW breakdown cover to be excellent when you need it, and since I let the warranty on the RR expire have found that the RAC offering isn't quite as good (no probs with how they do things, but by design it isn't as broad, simple or easy as BMW). Having said that, it was still wayyyyyyyy better than the shi**y basic breakdown cover my MCE insurance policy came with - 1 tow, max 10 miles.

The chief difference (to me) is BMW get your bike to the dealer/garage AND get you home, the RAC get you and bike to EITHER home or the garage, leaving the last stage up to you to arrange (although you can claim some of the cost back later). Because of this, BMWs policy is MUCH better for dealing with issues that occur outside of opening hours....(they'll also pay for overnight accommodation if need be).

....just in case anyone thinks the answer is writing itself, let's look at the downsides of BMW cover...
1. you must have separate policies for each bike, making it c. ?130 p.a. per bike
2. UK & Euro breakdown cover with RAC is about ?220, covers all vehicles, and would be needed for the car in any case cos BMW insure the vehicle not the driver.

..so I guess it all comes down to what level of service I want when I break down somewhere remote on a Sunday evening, and whether I'm prepared to pay a premium for it...

Any alternatives anyone can suggest?

Cheers

Rick

I've never taken any main dealer offerings for any of my bikes cars etc. I just stick with my aa covering everything at once. Less paperwork and let's be realistic it's been a while since I've had to use it. so if that was three policies that adds up mate. Anyway it's not the worse thing that can happen if they will only take you home?

Latest posts

Back