Gsx-r 1000 2014

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trumpetman21

Reaction score
Test rode a 2014 GSX-R 1000 today as I'm considering selling the S1000RR after 2 years of ownership.

Think the suzuki scores over the BMW in throttle (much lighter action and more accurate) and gearbox (think we all know why).

BMW wins in most other areas, worth saying that i was surprised how bad the brakes on the suzuki were but the bike had barely done 100miles so they were probably still bedding in. OEM tyres were shite as well, Bridgestone S20 but probably Japanese stock and at 36f/42r pressure wise.

Suzuki was stronger below 8k but comprehensively shat on by the BMW above that. Lack of a slipper clutch made itself known on a few downchanges, and engine braking was less noticeable too. Nice not having wheelie control though....

At ?9k new its a lot of bike for the money, but being asked to stump up ?2k along with my bike counts this one out for me.

I would wait until 2015 loads of new bike due out, apart from your issue with the gearbox what don't you like about the BMW? The suzuki is a budget sports bike and the BMW is premium, so the BMW should be a better bike

Mainly just as I fancy a change, also after being left stranded by the bike with faulty switchgear whenever I come to start it there's always that split second before thumbing the starter when I wonder if it'll start.

I know the BMW is the better bike, but having something brand new with a warranty appeals to me.

I've had an aprilia, a triumph, several hondas and now the BMW so it'd be nice to try something else. But I'm in no hurry to change either way.

BTW the Suzuki sports showa BPF forks and brembo calipers so it isnt THAT budget.

You'll end up spending thousands trying to make the Gixxer as good as the Beemer. I'm not knocking Suzuki, I owned a K3 for 10 years, but the difference between the bikes is night and day. You know if can switch off the anti wheelie?! It's annoying when you get a reliability issue with a bike, so can understand your frustration.

Another thing I forgot to mention are the vibes.

Jesus H Christ, if you thought the BMW is bad (i know I did) then you're in for a shock aboard the Suzuki. Worst bike I've ridden for vibes as bars, footpegs, seat all soaked in vibes throughout the rev range. Terrible.

The vibes issue seems to be one of the biggest bug bears of sports bike ownership. Other short comings can be worked around, like luggage capacity etc but there's not much you can do about vibrations.

How about waiting till the new R1 is announced?

And surely a Fireblade would be better than the GSXR as a reliable Jap replacement? They are a smooth ride...but the tank is a bit wide which irked me.

Fireblades bore the shite out of me, they just dont have anything to offer, no character, boring to ride. Theyre as fast as most litre bikes but just don't feel it to ride as the engine power delivery is just.... well... boring. If you haven't rode one you will know exactly what i mean when you do.

Ha haa...yes they are mapped to perfection so there are no peaks or troughs in the powerband, they just wind up like a turbine. I actually prefer that as a predicatable delivery means you can concentrate on other things. I preferred the midrange punch of the blade on the road to the BMW power but chose the S1000RR based on physical comfort.
Horses for courses I guess :)

I like a bike that keeps me on my toes a little scarey if you like, the blade just don't - and many others say the same, you could give a fireblade to someone who just passed their test, but you couldnt do that with a 10R, S1K ect. But yeah each to their own...

also the fireblade is tiny, i can hardly ride it my legs feel so cramped, i feel like i am perached on it and not part of the bike, the S1000rr is i think the most ergonomic 1ltr sports bike out there

Last edited:
I hear this time and time again with blades, there boring and so on i have rode several of my mates blades, all newer bikes, agreed they are smaller, I really don't get how anybody can say any modern 1000cc bike is boring???? the bike is quick it, it will wheelie, it goes round corners well, i never had a boring ride on one! i appreciate every bike is different and every bike will do something better than another they all have there pros and cons but I personally I've never been bored riding any modern sports bike unless it been on a boring straight road.
as for roomiest of comfortable sports bike the crossplane crank r1 is prob my number 1 and if your in the market for a new bike, I'd yes the new r1 might be worth a look!

The S1000rr is going, to be replaced by a S1000R sport at the end of September.

Decided to stick with BMW for the time being.

Test ride the ZX10R, in my humble opinion by far the best sports bike from Japan, loved the original R1 but think they have gone backwards ever since, the blade has been refined so much over the years it's effortless to ride but effort equals reward and it just isn't rewarding to ride. The gixer thou was the hooligan tool in it's day but it's day has gone, buy a good K4 if the gixer is what you want and if you find a good one it will probably be as reliable as a new one.

BMW may be seen as a premium brand but the paint finish isn't all that and the g/box is a bit poo although it is getting better with a few miles on it.

Being a new member I'm busy reading through old posts, but having just swapped a 2010 GSXR1000 to a 2011 s1000rr IMHO the BMW leaves the GSXR standing in the following areas - braking, even with Hel hoses the GSXR just didn't instil confidence. Handling, now admittedly this could be tyre related but the BMW has reignited my confidence when cornering - the front end on the GSXR seemed to feel like it was about to wash out. The downside I suffered with my GSXR was the exhaust valve - constantly sticking and generating an FI fault, however this was cured when I upgraded exhaust. Maybe I'm still suffering new bike excitement but the BMW has left the GSXR in its wake

I rode 2015 gsxr was very pleasantly surprised how it rode , low down power . Agreed brakes shite . Cracking bike for 9 k .

Latest posts

Back