hp4 track set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Hi there don't mean to be cheeky but is there any fast track riders on here got any suspension setting for me to try, I've set the static sag , i know the bike standard if set for 85 k but I'm 63 k prob 70k with kit on , bike is just run in gets chipped this week first track le mans in two week , thanks grumpy , sorry meant to say 2014 hp4

Only used mine once on track so far but the first thing I found was the front is too stiff and the rear too soft.As a base setting I went -2 on the front and +4 reb/comp on the rear which improved it a lot.I'll have another play next Monday.
It obviously depends on your pace.The std settings work quite well on track initially until you start to push hard.

Imo, I would wait until I had a session on track before deciding which way to go re settings, as Baz says depends on your pace, also how you like the bike to feel Loose or tight.

Off topic, Baz, didnt realise you bit the bullet? Did you px your road S1000?

Hi Phil,
Yes,I don't quite know what came over me but the road bike had to go!
Still got the trackbike though(although that's looking for a rest!).

I know this is an old thread, but been doing some playing with my hp4 now the weather has improved, and this looks like the right thread for my question;

On the DDC settings, in basic terms, is going up (+) making the suspension harder, and (-) making it softer. I think that's what Baz eluded to in his post.?? Conversely, the BMW manual says + increases damping, which I read to mean it would make it softer, whereas (-) would make it less active, so harder???? Or am I being dumb?

I am trying to get a nice setup with Sport mode for everyday public roads being softer (currently set at -2 all round which seems fine), and then maybe something harder for track time (currently set at 0 all round).

I get it is down to preference / style / ability, but a few pointers for a suspension muppet like me would be very helpful.

So far this year I am doing Croft, Snet and Cadders. Each very different, so this will help with suspension setup at each track. thanks guys.

Last edited:
Plus is more,minus is less.Where this is confusing is with rebound because you would expect it to mean more rebound=springing up quicker.the plus actually refers to the damping-in other words,plus means more rebound damping which means the suspension will return slower.Of course,compression plus means stiffer.
Same as the DTC-plus is more activation,minus is less.

Soft is always good for the road.Zero on track is a good place to start(let the ecu do it for you)then play with it when it causes you problems.
I'm often at Snet and Cadwell if you need any help.

Plus is more,minus is less.Where this is confusing is with rebound because you would expect it to mean more rebound=springing up quicker.the plus actually refers to the damping-in other words,plus means more rebound damping which means the suspension will return slower.Of course,compression plus means stiffer.
Same as the DTC-plus is more activation,minus is less.

Soft is always good for the road.Zero on track is a good place to start(let the ecu do it for you)then play with it when it causes you problems.
I'm often at Snet and Cadwell if you need any help.

nice one, thanks.

Back