How do you inflate your tyres?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My foot pump has just expired. It was replaced under warranty about this time last year, which means I have lost 3 pumps in 4 years.

I need a new way of checking my tyres from home, as I use petrol stations as little as I can (just don't trust em..). Interested to know what people use and recommend?

My last two were an earier version of this
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_255241_productId_974025_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Garage+Equipment-_-Tyre+Inflators+and+Pressure+Gauges-_-538704&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xprqapmpm&istBid=tztr&_$$ja=cgid:8475777004|tsid:35522|cid:166296844|lid:46053347689|nw:g|crid:44739949204|rnd:4133677730041579604|dvc:c|adp:1o3|bku:1&gclid=CjkKEQjwlIqdBRDy6JSK4Lmn1akBEiQAVa9dPU8Xfltn39y4Qs-zGSSVzS7g0UCVPtxou9DRLam6sMbw_wcB

The orginal one was replaced because one of the cyclinders failed. The current one has a plastic thread on the foot pump which no longer holds the metal-screwed inflator tube that connects to the tyre...

Thoughts?

Rick

I use the oxford digi gauge to check pressure, use petrol station to inflate, but double check what the digital reading on petrol station air machine says with my digi gauge
medscale1188-Oxford-Digi-Gauge-Digital-Air-Pressure-800-0.jpg

A friend has a cheap chinese one, like a fiver from ebay. And his consistently gives exactly the same reading as my Oxford does.

I use a digital tyre gauge from Halfords or similar and use a bicycle track pump to inflate them.

I use a bicycle styrup type pump to inflate them and use an analouge snap on guage to check pressure, as long as you always use the same guage any adjustments are consistent even if the guage is wrong

I agree, which is why I have always tried to use the same pump (which I trusted for pressure reading, but no longer for longevity...).

Hoping to hear someone say something like...'I've used this model of pump for years and it's still going strong'... anyone??

Shameless bump, since it seemed to pass largely unnoticed last time. I'm mainly interested in how people inflate their tyres, rather than check the pressure.

Thanks

Rick

michelin make a decent one

Experience sadly tells me otherwise...the link in my first post is to a Michelin foot pump.....

Pump 1: Bought April 12 - one of the cyclinders fails April 13, replaced under warranty
Pump 2: Since June 14 (out of warranty, and they won't replace it) Still does my car and S1k tyres because I only need max 36 psi... If I try to do the back tyre on my F800, which needs 42 for loads, the pressure meter and valve connector fly out of the pump because the plastic thread won't hole the metal screw in place......

Been asking in garages, best (i.e. only non-shrug) answer I've had; they're all shit mate...

I use a fo0tpump, a double barrel jobby bought from somewhere. Last one lasted a year, couldnt care less really as they are so very cheap. I dont like using garage forecourt as it takes too much time when I could be riding.

I bought an electric pump off eBay with an adapter to use through normal mains plug instead of messing about with car 12v sockets. Digital, accurate, quick.

Digital pressure gauges have to be within a 1 psi tolerance to sell in UK, however this isn't actually checked/regulated. Auto Express did a test on a few of the popular ones and found all but one was within tolerance, the other was 2psi out.

Back