Engine Rattle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davsmit

Reaction score
Currently running in my new bike, only has 520 miles on it. I have now noticed a rattle from the bike around 3k to 6k when its revved.

It sounds like a rattling engine noise coming from the left hand side of the engine at the head. The bike seems to still pull ok. Seen other rattles listed on the net but its not the black box under the bars.

Any advice on this?

Cheers.

Could be anything.
Hard to diagnose over a forum although some will try

Take it to your dealer if you are concerned

Davy

How did you get on with your rattle? my HP4 has had an annoying rattle worst between 2-3 k rpm, supplying dealer says it's normal [ err no it ain't] local dealer can't hear anything!! my 2010 didn't make it, the 12 demo didn't, my 12 didn't, my mates hp doesn't, dealers 14 rr and r demos don't but mechanic can't hear mine clattering away!! Easily the worst 17500 I've spent.

Obviously doing this over a forum isn't easy, a rattle could be anything, but I second Cally's opinion on exhaust butterflies.

Mine did it for ages until I finally could be ass to take fairing off and fix it. Its an easy 1 minute check really.

Left hand side just behind the fairing near left handlebar you should be able to feel the servo, locate the cable with your finger, if it has any give in it, then take the panel off, use a screw driver and pull cable taught (hard to explain but hopefully u get the idea), start bike up if rattle has gone whilst cable is taught then you servo cable needs tightening which is down under the oil filter. It can be done by just removing bellying fairing and an 8mm spanner.

I've had to adjust mine 3 times since having bike. 3000, 9000 and 13000. Now i fear it will be a new cable next time. If it isn't this, then at least you've rules something out. Two pictures which might help you out.

K46_R18006c_small.jpg

K46_R18017b_small.jpg

Thank you Ross.

I will definitely try that. Just to make sure I don't mess it up more than it is, could you please add the numbers from the pictures to your instructions - like bmw does in its instructions "pull cable 1, tighten screw 4 etc..." - you get the idea.

many thanks in any case!
Andy

I got my bike to rattle then used a piece of wood to press on the spring in the firts picture and the rattle instantly stopped , so I knew it was the exhaust butterflies so got on to BMW for a new exhaust

my exhaust was changed once already about 5k miles ago...could the new one die so fast?

HP4 so no butterflies......sure it's cam/chain tens related but mechanics refuse to hear it! all they say is "they're a rattly engine", the fact that others sound like an electric turbine compared to mine means nothing when it comes to bmw warranty, got to put up with It till it breaks.

HP4 so no butterflies......sure it's cam/chain tens related but mechanics refuse to hear it! all they say is "they're a rattly engine", the fact that others sound like an electric turbine compared to mine means nothing when it comes to bmw warranty, got to put up with It till it breaks.
Try a different dealer, I have used 3 different dealers.

Was at hilltop yesterday, Geoff showed me a pretty new S1000 having a new cam chain fitted because of how the auto tensioners get stiff in the barrel, When i squeezed it between my fingers, there was a noticably stiff spot that when released it stuggled to get past.

So try a manual

Well, dropped bike off at pidcocks today, Ash the top guy there is going to listen during warm up then take the top off and see what's lurking, really hope he finds something cos I can't listen to it forever, on my 12 RR I'd go here,there and everywhere on it, not the HP4, as soon as the revs drop below 3000 rpm, she sounds like an industrial sewing machine-- not helping towards a long and happy relationship! I'll keep you up to date.

Well, what can I say?? mechanic can't hear anything so no strip down "they all sound like that", didn't want to disrespect him but once again said that none of the other 5 s1000's I've ridden made the noise, "sorry but I'm not hearing the noise you describe" is the reply, asked him to ride it with ear plugs in, that'll drown out all other sounds and leave sewing machine/type writer between 1800-3500 rpm especially on the overrun where no exhaust sounds, he declined. Spoke to the manager and told him I'm not happy and considering selling it, he offered ?14500!! As a gesture he will liaise with bmw tech and talk them into giving me a new cam chain tensioner, got a call from service manager saying " we've cleaned/adjusted and re-oiled your cam chain and fitted a new tensioner!!!!!!!!! really?? cleaned adjusted and re-oiled a cam chain, how do you do that then? "let us know if you're not happy and we'll have another look. Great, looks like I put up with it or lose ?3000 in 6 weeks, bike is EXACTLY THE SAME.

i would take phils advice and go to another dealer for a second opinion. Interested to know the outcome.

Was at hilltop yesterday, Geoff showed me a pretty new S1000 having a new cam chain fitted because of how the auto tensioners get stiff in the barrel, When i squeezed it between my fingers, there was a noticably stiff spot that when released it stuggled to get past.

So try a manual
SO....bit the bullet and had a look myself, CCT is a notchy piece of shit not worthy of 500 quids worth of Chinese moped, fitted and adjusted an APE and she's sweet as.......SORTED!!! lost faith in bmw though.

SO....bit the bullet and had a look myself, CCT is a notchy piece of shit not worthy of 500 quids worth of Chinese moped, fitted and adjusted an APE and she's sweet as.......SORTED!!! lost faith in bmw though.

glad to hear you sorted the problem!

CCT = cam chain tensioner?
APE = ????

could you describe what exactly did you do? I would try to do it myself too.

how grave was the problem? what is at risk if I continue riding with your former symptoms?

thank you!

P.S. yours is a HP4, right? is your cure applicable to a 2010 S1000RR (with a new engine fitted by BMW in 2013)?

Back