Understeering...man or machine

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
I've taken part in my first track day and come away with some useful lessons learn't about how to ride the bike. As it's my first Superbike.

It's probably my positioning/throttle control etc but I felt I was washing out on some fast sweepers and not tracking true. I was using the throttle on corner exit but I never saw the DTC light up.

If it's washing out because there isn't enough load on the front can I help myself with suspension settings? Or do I need to position my body/weight better? Or do I need to just crack the throttle harder to turn via the rear instead of the front?

Any ideas?
Tyres were newish Continental Sport Attack 2's. Bike is '12 plate RR. Rider is 83kg's and 5'11 if any of that helps.

Hi Alex,

What do you mean by washing out? Not one I've heard before. Do mean the front was drifting away from the apex?

Yes generally I feel that it's not nailed down at the front, drifts towards the exit kerbs at lower overall speeds than others seem to achieve. I feel held back on exit. But if someone said you're not using enough throttle to steer but enough to take weight off the front then that would make sense and I'd try that next time...and try to avoid highsiding! But I'd also like to know if there's a general suspension setup change which could positively affect this trait.

Not had the suspension played with. I asked for it to be set to stock when I bought it and the preload set to my weight. What pre-load should I be on for ~90kg all kitted up?

Are you using the countersteering method to corner ?? If not look it up

Alex,

These parameters work for me and we are about the same weight:

"front wheel.. 5 - 10 mm with rider @ 85kg , rear wheel .. 8 - 12 mm with rider @ 85kg"

I think my front is 8mm and back 10mm.

Get front and back measured with you on the bike with all your kit on, and see how they are, adjust accordingly as per the manual. I'd take the dealer setup with a pinch of salt.

I am but maybe I'm not man handling the countersteering enough. I've been on the i2i MC1/3/5 courses. But this bike and riding position are new to me. I am using all of the tyre so it's not like I'm not leaning in.

Cheers Soof...I think I need to visit an expert in the coming months...

Setting the preload on the bike is a 10 minute job max for 2 people (if I can do it, anyone can :) ), once you've done that and it is correct see how it goes. If you do need to adjust it (I'd go softer, i.e. 10mm front and 12mm rear to start) you will feel the difference straight away.

If the front was set too hard it may have been the problem, and if not, setting the preload correctly is a good place to start from.

I've had my suspension done by JHS (need to at my weight) but the 8mm 10mm settings are poop for UK roads especially around cites with all the potholes. lovely on a smooth A road though. JHS just laughed at the BMW manual for road use, said it was a track setting.

I have:
20mm rider 5mm free on front, 15w oil, rebounds at 8
17mm rider and 7mm free on rear. 6,5,4 on rebounds/compression

I have 10.5nm springs front and 11.5nm in shock. Ideally for my fat ass I need 12nm but they don't make them.

start with setting the sag, then check your tyres.. how many miles has your front tyre done? what tyre pressure's did you use did you lower your pressure for the track? i wouldn't worry about exact settings just put your compression and rebound settings in the middle of the settings.
next time you do a track day get some instruction, the instructor will help you with your body position on the bike, while cornering and braking.

you might be trying to carry to much corner speed? and in a to higher gear brake all the way to the apex then just open the trottle as you round the apex the bike is most stable with a small amount of throttle, then on the exit wind it open to the stop!

Tyres are virtually new (but fully scrubbed). Pressures were dropped to 31psi front and 34psi rear ish...
From seeing the opinions given so far I think I shall get the suspension setup done locally (Shawn Taylor Racing possibly), both settings for road and track.
I'd like to know what tyre pressures people tend to use front and rear.

Then once all that is configured I know it's down to me to improve as a rider (lots of room I expect!!)

According to the manual the factory setup should have been nearly perfect for me. The first few months I felt no confidence tipping it into corners. When I got suspension properly set up (cost £25) it transformed the bike. Get it done as soon as you can and enjoy the summer! Where are you based? I got mine done at Oval motorbike centre in Battersea.

Last edited:
I've taken part in my first track day and come away with some useful lessons learn't about how to ride the bike. As it's my first Superbike.

It's probably my positioning/throttle control etc but I felt I was washing out on some fast sweepers and not tracking true. I was using the throttle on corner exit but I never saw the DTC light up.

If it's washing out because there isn't enough load on the front can I help myself with suspension settings? Or do I need to position my body/weight better? Or do I need to just crack the throttle harder to turn via the rear instead of the front?

Any ideas?
Tyres were newish Continental Sport Attack 2's. Bike is '12 plate RR. Rider is 83kg's and 5'11 if any of that helps.

Definitely get the suspension setup for your weight. Also flip the eccentric shock mount, i think its the most underestimated simple mod an s1 owner can make. Having said that using higher gears on exit can also run you a bit wide.

Back