Suspension question for long trip

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonno

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am about to ride off down to Spain over a week long trip. Whilst there are going to be some great twisty roads, there's also a fair bit of dull motorway/A-road stretches. What Im looking to do is to soften up the suspension for a less jarring ride, using the compression/rebound settings - but please can someone talk me through how I should best do this - Ive got the owner's manual, but the detail isn't great. Once changed, is it possible to save these settings, such that I can easily dial them back in again? Thanks Jonno

Do you mean the preload setup for when you are travelling with luggage and without on your travels?

Ive just done a 550 mile trip to Isle of man motorway on the way there and riding on the isle circuit and country roads. You can simply soften the ride in the set up mode on the HP4 by altering the front suspension as it only allows one adjustment from the setting menu and the preload and rebound on the rear from the menu, i ran all mine at -3 and it was nice and soft, even kept it at this due to the bumpy roads on the island

Ive just done a 550 mile trip to Isle of man motorway on the way there and riding on the isle circuit and country roads. You can simply soften the ride in the set up mode on the HP4 by altering the front suspension as it only allows one adjustment from the setting menu and the preload and rebound on the rear from the menu, i ran all mine at -3 and it was nice and soft, even kept it at this due to the bumpy roads on the island

I had forgotten about those settings on the bike, duh! So with negative values the damping is increased? Or am I being dumb?

Negative = more? That would mean it was counter to most logic...

I agree, I thought negative values would mean less travel and response from the suspension, but maybe the values are 'stiffness' and not effect?

it seems that the negative values make the suspension softer, remember that it only changes in the mode you are in so you can set each mode to what you want
on the standard bike it gives a guide to soften the suspension to comfort settings, this is basically turning the preload and rebound down from 5 to 3, same logic on the hp4 but 0 is base setting. seemed to work for my trip

Hi, thanks for the replies - just to be clear, Im not looking to fiddle with the preload - I was really meaning the electronic adjustment, as per EKDG's posting... So just to be clear, I could dial these setting in for example, Rain Mode, but leave it standard for Sport, such that I can switch between them thereby changing the suspension settings as well as the TC at the click of the mode button?.
Jonno

Last edited:
yes the adjustments will just be in the mode (rain/sport/race) that you set it in, when you change mode it will just default to what you have set in that individual mode

Thats great..! Did you find that it made much of a difference to the ride quality?

yes made it a lot softer and more comfortable to ride, it was also better on the bumpy roads on the Isle of man not as harsh as it is without the adjustments.

You are a star - Ive just been out to the bike and dialled in the same settings... I'll be really interested to see how it feels....Many thanks.

Back