Helmets

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren jones

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted your thought on helmets looking to replace my Shoei with either a HJC Lorenzo R-PHA 10 or the Arai GP but as you all know the HJC I can get for £300 and the Arai will cost £699 i know it is personal taste but does it warrant £400 more for a Arai or Shoei as I only ride in the summer months on the down side I don't know much on HJC as a manufacturer.
I look forward to your comments

No its me as well.

Arai get my vote...switched to AGV as fancied the 5 Continents Rossi rep when got the Cross R1.....big mistake, hate it with a vengeance. upright seated riding it's fine but as soon as crouch slightly the top of the visor opening is too low in the field of vision. aaaaarrrrggghhh

Last edited:
Go on the gov sharp test web site, make a list of top performers that you like the look of then see which give you a perfect fit then search reveiws. High price doesn't always equate to top performance.

Here is the Sharp site http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist

Started off with Bell, then went to Arai then to AGV then back to Arai and now got a Shark Race R Pro and well happy with it.
It's all about personal preference I guess, and how much you hold the Sharp ratings as gospel.

I had all the usual brands like im sure most of us have. Stuck with Shark now, last two lids have bee sharks.

I think the sharp ratings and fitting are key. Safest helmet with bad fitting is worse than worst helmet with perfect fitting. HJC don't do as well as the arai on the ratings. And for the HJC money there are 'safer' options. Shoei and shark both do better.

I had a shoei but got a shark 18 months ago. The shark is more comfy, and quieter, but the anti fog is not as good as the pinlock system. So more of a summer lid (integral visor was a bonus), kept the shoei for winter.

I switched to hjc years ago and never had a problem, there's no way I'm going to pay the silly prices they want!
Besides if it's good enough for Lorenzo than that will do me, lol

I would never buy another Arai , bought a RX7 and have always regretted it , couldnt see what i got for the extra dosh.
Dont like the noise on Shoeis.
also have a GP Tech AGV which is pretty comfy TBH.
I also like the new AGV lid , looks a great shape , though it is a bit of a rip off.
Shark and HJC have come a very long way so i guess its down to personal taste

My old shark of about 8 years old was a good helmet but loud oh so loud, my new (2.5years old) shark vision-R is night and day compared to old one, great ventilation and built in drop down sun visor. all for £220, love it.

I don't have an Arai or Shoei shaped head. neither are comfy for me.

I use a Shark Race R Pro and can't fault it I did have to buy bigger cheek pads to make it fit correctly its very quiet, also have a Shoei XR1100 that I use with intercom fitted cant fault it either I think it might be quieter than the shark but not by much

Had two arai RX7's one of which split from the top visor opening on the right hand sode to the top centre, saved my life though. Also many years ago I had a bell star, scarily a similar accident split that one through the centre from left to right with only the chin bar on the right hand side holding the two pieces together, that resulted in a fractured scull along with a few broken bones and twenty stitches in one leg and bruises all over. Sounds bad but forty years of biking takes it's toll.

I would never buy another Arai , bought a RX7 and have always regretted it , couldn't see what i got for the extra dosh.

ARAI = THE NUTS what you get for your dosh is a cool paint job and a lid tougher than any other. One that can adjust the airflow thru a helmet without sounding like you are clinging to the underside of a jet.

Arai build their helmets to a higher specification that what is required for helmets in terms of crash ratings and crashing testing.

Most other helmets are tested at 27 kph. what speed do you ride at?

Not sure i want one tested at those speeds :uncomfortableness:

I would check with the Manufacturers as to how they test their helmets before buying one i was unsure of.

Arai RX7 was nt for me......side visor pods replaced top vent broke..... vent on chin split...... HJC spies rep far better fit..... will def have another.... but what is right for one......wont suit another.....

Arai RX7 was nt for me......side visor pods replaced top vent broke..... vent on chin split...... HJC spies rep far better fit..... will def have another.... but what is right for one......wont suit another.....

I have had 5 over the years and never had a problem although one did lose a bit of rubber under chin after 9 years. It was just kinda accepted that a RX-7 meant a bloody safe helmet, I am not sure the HJC ones that you get 50-200 quid are the same ones that Lorenzo is wearing, although i could be wrong!

Maybe its time to try something else?

p.s for to mention there are 2 levels of certification for lids 1 for competitive use and one for social/pleasure riding, rx-7 rated the safest/strongest every year since 99 i think.

Last edited:
I have had 5 over the years and never had a problem although one did lose a bit of rubber under chin after 9 years. It was just kinda accepted that a RX-7 meant a bloody safe helmet, I am not sure the HJC ones that you get 50-200 quid are the same ones that Lorenzo is wearing, although i could be wrong!

Maybe its time to try something else?

p.s for to mention there are 2 levels of certification for lids 1 for competitive use and one for social/pleasure riding, rx-7 rated the safest/strongest every year since 99 i think.

i couldn't agree more.. i have an RX-7 had it a few years now so i am looking to replace it. a friend of mine crashed on track a few weeks ago wearing a HJC, through no fault of his own... he was flat in 4th passing another rider when without warning the other rider decided to swerve across the track to exit via pit lane... my friend T-boned him and went straight over the bars hit his head pretty hard and is still in a Coma..
now i'm not saying that its the fault of his helmet but you get what you pay for.. if he had a top of the range helmet then i could except it.. but a 200 quid HJC that looks like its been made in someones garden shed!! i can't help feeling it could be to blame! you can not put a price on your own life...

I had a bit of a shopping spree and bought a new HJC lid and some alpine star boots.
Always had shoei helmets in the past so this one replaced my shoei XR1000.
Generally pretty impressed with the HJC. Loving the internal sun visor.

IMG_20140524_184456.jpg

Back