Legality on Mirrored visors in the UK

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuOnTwo

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the actual deal on the above is? I hear in the daylight it's a non issue but in the evening they are illegal is that correct?

You can get road legal tinted visors and the same as pinlock inserts. Although mirrored and dark visors are illegal for road use I haven't seen or heard of anyone being done for using them.....and so many riders wear them. I guess if your not riding in a way that attracts the attention of plod then they won't bother you over a visor?

It's not the mirror, tint colour etc thats the problem, it's the amount of light that they filter out, same as the level of tint in car windows, had a pair of mirror goggles that were road legal.

It's not the mirror, tint colour etc thats the problem, it's the amount of light that they filter out, same as the level of tint in car windows, had a pair of mirror goggles that were road legal.

Yes, you are right thanks goose, I didn't make that clear in my post.

got stopped on way home other night with a m8 both had dark visors loud exhausts but he only did my m8 for having a tiny numberplate I laughed as plod said that was the only thing he stopped us for as it was takin the piss :D

Must let in at least 70% light, if memory serves. Like others have said it's the same as windows. I don't know of equipment that the police have that will work on visors, the one for windows would struggle to work because visors are curved. The only issue is if the visors says "not for road use" or "for daylight use only" when using at night. I use an iridium one and (touch wood) never been stopped because of it, I always carry a clear one with me just in case. Police about here certainly don't bother about it.

Basically only lightly smoked can be used legally. Iridium/mirrored or black are not.

Technically though they're only illegal when being used so if you have them fitted but the visor is raised when you get pulled then you can't be done.

Police regularly check you here if you visit local meeting places but if you have a legal one with you for night time they let it go, number plates and zorsts are a good earner for them though although harley riders seem exempt from the zorst rule.

Back